• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

HQ - HEROES & VILLAINS (knightkrawler's full rule set)

Discuss new Rules for HeroQuest.

Re: HQ - HEROES & VILLAINS (knightkrawler's full rule set)

Postby cornixt » August 3rd, 2016, 5:17 pm

knightkrawler wrote:The treasure decks haven't been printed yet, so this needs some playtesting on my side with the cards done. The thing about these searches is the risk/reward proportion. I want the heroes to do that second search, but 4 searches as in the original EU rules is just too much.

But why not just one search? I don't see the benefit of the additional searches. If the target is non-gamers then I'd just keep the furniture treasure search since it makes the most sense for realism.

I think that the original EU rules didn't limit searches at all (at least not to once per player per room, which I assume is where you get the four searches from), so you could search the same room over and over if you wanted to tease out all of the treasure from the treasure deck after completing a quest, although clearly against the spirit of the game.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
cornixt

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby knightkrawler » August 3rd, 2016, 5:38 pm

cornixt wrote:so you could search the same room over and over if you wanted to tease out all of the treasure from the treasure deck after completing a quest, although clearly against the spirit of the game.

I think that was it, now that you mention it.
Two searches just seem right to me. The first is sloppy with all that encompasses, and the second is more thorough with all that encompasses.
That's one mechanic where I went for realism. You can see it in the actual decks.
The whole treasure deck and advancement and purchaseable skills shindig is there for fun. The players have fun.
Also, there's nothing complicated in putting three decks with different back art and names on the table and use them for three different purposes.

The game now has 12 card decks, 3 with Morcar, 5 among the players, 1 on the side, and just 3 on the table.
I don't think that makes anything more complicated or difficult than HQ was.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » August 3rd, 2016, 6:04 pm

In cases where I offer a questpack of 3 quests and you only manage 2 on day 1 and you know for sure, you'll manage 2 on the next date as well, then there's the questpacks consisting of individual quests that are not connected by a common storyline. These questpacks will be marked or called differently, as well as Solo Quests, if I ever find the creativity to write those.

You have some extra quests, or let's say additional quests in the base game book. At least I am not able to connect them. In the HQ cartography thread I posted a scheme that shows in detail the quest I couldn't connect.
I like the idea of overland questing, though I must confess I didn't try it until now with a group. So here I go with those extra quests. If they travel or if they draw the map EWP card, they get access to the extra quests.

As a sidenote, I find reading the rules of original HeroQuest in all versions infuriating. That's because I find so many sources for interpretation, loopholes for players, wording mistakes, unclear circumstance combinations, etc pp... My whole reason for writing HQHV in the first place. And I've seen far longer HQ revision rulebooks that people seem to think are great, but delve into RPG too deeply, taking the charm from the game in essence.

I find the reading of the original rules quite funny. I had to laugh the one or the other time.
In fact, my family and friends always expect me to explain the rules. That means I can correct small issues. Only one time had I a problem that infuriated my wife enough to read the rules.

I have a friend who likes to discuss every letter of every word until he wins, acording or contradictory to the rules, he doesn't care. That problem is solved by not inviting him anymore. Sad for him but he wouldn't change his mind after several serious talks about certain behavior so what can you do?
That one is a single person, the others prefer fun over winning and then it works.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » August 3rd, 2016, 6:22 pm

Anderas wrote:You have some extra quests, or let's say additional quests in the base game book. At least I am not able to connect them. In the HQ cartography thread I posted a scheme that shows in detail the quest I couldn't connect.

I have my own background world, so cartography is not an issue as of now.
The game system quests are basically divided into five questbooks in HQHV (for now, most of it still has to be re-made):
Trials & Tribulations, Bloody Brothers (Grak & Ulag trilogy), Legends Lost (person missing quests and so on), and The Witch Lord trilogy
plus a questbook of individual quests (Castle of Mystery, for example).

A rough map is in my head, but I don't wanna set too many storytelling limits by drawing it out. I'll do that once the geopraphy concludes itself from the fluff texts.
That's an interesting project in and of itself.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby knightkrawler » August 22nd, 2016, 5:22 am

Update Questpack 2 added:
Brothers in Blood, 3 Orc-centered quests around Ulag and Grak in a beta-version that needs some fluff rewriting.

That's now 6 quests from the original game system rewritten.
The other 8 will go into a pack of individual quests, loosened from the storyline and to be played individually as in-betweeners,
a Witch-Lord trilogy (rather obvious, that ono).

Now on to sifting through spells to be found on this site to improve my card decks and spell system.

Rewards:
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Anderas » August 22nd, 2016, 7:23 am

Ok, i promised myself that i will take a look at your ruleset tonight as soon as the little one is in the bed.

For your Flintboard, do you know where i could possibly let it print in a sufficient quality? I mean, it's 84cm by 63, not counting the black border...

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » August 22nd, 2016, 8:04 am

Anderas wrote:For your Flintboard, do you know where i could possibly let it print in a sufficient quality? I mean, it's 84cm by 63, not counting the black border...

Good question. You could choose a poster printing service. I have no experience with these, to be honest, but the quality schould be sufficient for the money they take.
There's all kinds of options there, maybe even vinyl for one of them.
The measurements are disadvantageous for myposter.de. Nothing cheaper than 25 € (90 x 70cm). PosterXXL.de offers 100x75cm for 28 €.
Maybe A0 (myposter.de) with the resized tiles and markers crammed into the rest of the surface would be the wisest option.
That one's 33 € and would make sense to me. I also find that worth it, investment-wise.

The cheapest version would probably be to photoshophack the board into pieces and have them printed at a copy shop. You might want a matte finish, anyway.
If you know someone with a plotter in their office, you're a lucky guy.
I know I was. Got my printouts for 35mm, 37mm, and 40mm, single and double corridors at my sister's office for, uhm, 0€.

I have a plan for how I'm gonna build my 2.5 dungeon, though.

Rewards:
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Anderas » August 22nd, 2016, 8:09 am

Plotter, no problem. So I could even print bigger than A0 here. But that's paper. I'd like carton or vinyl. Carton is foldable, vinyl is more beautiful... :)

Rewards:
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » August 22nd, 2016, 8:26 am

Both myposter.de and posterxxl.de offer PVC Plane, but that's not vinyl as you want it, is it?

Rewards:
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Anderas » August 22nd, 2016, 8:31 am

Just took a detailed look. Yes why not! If I restrict the field to 80x60 then it is not very expensive. Means I will have double hallways in the interior but not outside. OK for me!

Rewards:
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Rules