• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

My HQ Ruleset and Modifications

Discuss new Rules for HeroQuest.

Re: My HQ Ruleset and Modifications

Postby Saiyaforthelight » October 25th, 2016, 1:00 pm

Second set of files
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My rules, modifications, spells and quests: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3380

-Saiya-
Saiyaforthelight

Fimir
Fimir

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Saiyaforthelight » October 25th, 2016, 1:01 pm

Third file set
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

-Saiya-
Saiyaforthelight

Fimir
Fimir

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » October 25th, 2016, 5:23 pm

Ahh progress... I'm struggling to stay focused on 1 project.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Bareheaded Warrior » November 7th, 2016, 7:37 pm

I was for many years a passionate advocate of fixed movement (and took plenty of flak - constructive - from forum members) as I saw rolling for movement being unrealistic and very monopoly like.

Eventually I saw the light and realised that it is in fact a very simple and effective method of determining initiative and the dice rolling can be used as a hook to incorporate and simplify otherwise complex issues such as spotting hidden traps and doors - see my House Rules link below for more details.
:skull: = white skull, one "hit"
:blackshield: = black skull, one "hit"
:whiteshield: = shield, cancels out one "hit"

Editions: 1989 Original First Edition [FE] and Second Edition [SE], 1990 Remake [US], 2021 Remake [21]

HeroQuest Gold new edition based on Original 1989 HeroQuest, holes patched, dents hammered out, buffed to a shiny finish with ~50 common issues fixed for a smoother experience.

HQ Common Notification System to identify squares on the board
Bareheaded Warrior

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » January 18th, 2017, 12:06 am

Saiyaforthelight wrote:--SEE POST BELOW FOR CURRENT VERSION OF RULES--
Hope that the stuff is worth a read and makes sense. I'm happy to discuss, answer questions and take advice.

Spell Cards
I like your Genie spell options from your spell cards download. My Genie idea was to open chests in addition (so a Hero could avoid the trap), but you got me thinking...

Genie .

This spell conjures up a Genie
who will do one of the following:
close or open any door on the board
(revealing what lies beyond) OR spring
any discovered trap, OR use 5 combat
dice to attack any monster within
your line of sight.

Rules
Spawn Points lists possible number of monsters as 1, 2, or 3. Under Hazards, Monster Spawn lists the monster range as 2, 3, or 4. As the monsters appear each turn until the marker is removed, I'd go with the first numbers. Also, is the monster type set in the Quest Notes section?

I like the Long Pit rule. I think I'll try something similar by placing some adjacent pit trap tiles lined up in a single corridor.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » January 19th, 2017, 7:52 am

As you have put 'one of the following', 'or' can be removed. Otherwise i like it!

"This spell conjures up a Genie
close/open any door on the board
(revealing what lies beyond), spring
any discovered trap, use 5 combat
dice to attack any monster on the board"

Could leave the last or in.

If you play LoS Genie, no need for it to be on the card as it is the standard rule for spells. The mention of anywhere on the board is the function of the card over ruling the standard rule. Personally we prefer anywhere on the board.

Actually... because the close/open might confuse people, some claiming it be an and, as in open the door reveal the room and close it, due to the brackets giving specifics for opening the room but not closing it, trapping the monsters.

"This spell conjures up a Genie
Use 5 combat dice to attack any monster
on the board, spring any discovered trap,
open or close any door on the board
(revealing what lies beyond)"

I've reworded it as to only use 1 'or' but where it was most needed to make sense.

(revealing or trapping what lies beyond) Might be an idea too, as no where is it wrote what happens to the monsters if a door was to be closed. Closing a door might be game breaking in some Quests.
Last edited by mitchiemasha on January 19th, 2017, 10:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » January 26th, 2017, 5:23 pm

Yeah, if a Quest depended on a door remaining open, a door-closing genie presents a problem. M/Z would need to keep this in mind. Off hand, the only published Quest I can recall with this kind of door is Hall of the Dwarven Kings, Quest 5 of KK. The horde of pursuing monsters, a key feature of this Quest, can be easily reduced to a small, finite number. Personally, I'd let the alternate Genie Spell close the door to showcase it's versatility. Other Quests with special doors might need to be protected from closing or made to reopen somehow to keep them functioning as intended, however.

I like your "revealing or trapping what lies beyond" addition. Here's another go from me that retains the dual-choice structure from the original spell:

Genie .

This spell conjures up a Genie
close or open any door/chest on the
board (trapping or revealing what lies
beyond/within) OR use 5 combat
dice to attack any monster
within your line of sight.

This is a return to my original idea of a Genie safely opening a trapped chest. Other traps can at least be jumped.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Saiyaforthelight » March 29th, 2017, 5:04 pm

Hey all!

Thank you for the comments. I've been busy rediscovering and playing D&D, so have neglected my HeroQuest passion for too long. Fortunately my friends are coming to stay soon, so I'll be able to play some more HQ! I've fiddled with the rules again recently, so need to update the PDFs (have a glut of minis, so more monsters have been fun!)

I know that movement is an issue that stirs passion in the community. I like fixed; I know many (most?) like the dice. Whatever works at the table I reckon!

My current Genie spell card reads:

Conjures a genie who may enact one of the following actions:
1) Attack any figure on the board for five combat dice.
2) Open any door on the board.
3) Disarm any trap.
4) Close and lock a door.

The spawn point notes were scribblings held over from an older iteration. I think I have them just in hazards now. A lot of the stuff is effectively a toolkit for adventure construction, as I' think in my updated notes I only have spawns of that nature in two quests (One in the climactic battle with the Witch Lord in RotWL and the other in Barak Tor I think?). Thanks for pointing out the messy notes, I have altered accordingly!

More play testing in two weeks. Looking forward to it!

-Saiya-

-Saiya-
Saiyaforthelight

Fimir
Fimir

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Previous

Return to Rules