• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Merchant NPC

Discuss new Rules for HeroQuest.

Merchant NPC

Postby Patroclus » March 8th, 2016, 7:01 pm

I’ve make a merchant npc that can be put easily in every quest especially for those when your heroes are deep inside a dungeon and it’s unrealistic to say “you can go to town and buy things”.

Though, I’ve put some chances that he is not what it seems. The worst is that you give him your money to buy something and he steals (half of) your money and leaves. So, you have to think twice when you see a merchant in a dungeon.

Of course, there is also a chance that he is something better than a common merchant. I’ve put an option to put runes in your items and have one charge (one use in each quest) to add extra dices for attack (when you put it on weapons) or defence (on armor).

Also, I’ve found the list of his items (with their costs) very useful even when you buy from towns. I had the idea to put costs for every type of GMs. Because, some GMs gives too much gold coins in their quests, and others less. So, some heroes are rich and can buy anything and others don’t. Even if you don’t use the merchant in your quest you may find the item list very useful.

front:
back:
Last edited by Patroclus on March 9th, 2016, 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Patroclus

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Merchant NPC

Postby cynthialee » March 8th, 2016, 7:49 pm

My only real issue is a few players I know just might decide to kill him and take his impressive list of wares and make them their own. That list is a hell of an upgrade.

Maybe give him like 10 dice attack and 10 dice defend because he is loaded with magic items and is well trained, to keep the players from getting greedy.

And I would be hard pressed to blame them. This dude has a crap ton of gear.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Showdown35 » March 9th, 2016, 12:41 am

I don't know that Patroclus means every Merchant encountered has that entire list of wares! My guess is the GM decides what each Merchant is selling, or randomizes it somehow?

For my homebrew rules, I have a deck of equipment with multiple copies of each item, more copies of cheap common items, less copies of expensive rare items. Whenever the heroes shop (or encounter a Merchant) I shuffle and draw a limited number of items from the equipment deck, and only those items are for sale. The Merchant idea from Patroclus would fit in well with this method!
It's like a new pair of underwear; at first it's constrictive, but after a while it becomes a part of you. I have to go...

My HeroQuest Homebrew project site: http://www.showdowndave.ca/heroquest
Showdown35

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » March 9th, 2016, 9:35 am

You have a wondering monster there.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:

Postby Patroclus » March 9th, 2016, 1:32 pm

loool, I will fix it.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Patroclus

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Usergroups:

Postby knightkrawler » March 9th, 2016, 1:47 pm

Also, I take it you want the Wandering Monster mode such that the merchant "transforms" into the wandering monster of the respective quest, right?
So that the EWP can simply use that mini then.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Patroclus » March 9th, 2016, 2:15 pm

cynthialee wrote:My only real issue is a few players I know just might decide to kill him and take his impressive list of wares and make them their own. That list is a hell of an upgrade.

Maybe give him like 10 dice attack and 10 dice defend because he is loaded with magic items and is well trained, to keep the players from getting greedy.

And I would be hard pressed to blame them. This dude has a crap ton of gear.

I know it is very common for players to act as anti heroes and kill NPCs. But, it’s not a solution to make all your merchants as powerful as warriors. Because, if they were warriors they could make more money as mercenaries, than by selling things. Merchants are weak and smart. He probably have nothing on him, he could have his goods somewhere else hidden, and he could take half of your money, then leave and come back to give you the items you’ve bought.

But don’t say so many details to your players. If anyone asks then you could find an explanation as the above. But in any case, don’t let them loot anything. It’s not a good idea to see the merchant npc as a bag of gold coins.

Rewards:
Patroclus

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Usergroups:

Postby Patroclus » March 9th, 2016, 2:20 pm

knightkrawler wrote:Also, I take it you want the Wandering Monster mode such that the merchant "transforms" into the wandering monster of the respective quest, right?
So that the EWP can simply use that mini then.

Yes, the wandering monster of the quest. But he is disguised, so you could have a rogue type or a merchant type of miniature first, then if you choose to buy things, you have to roll the dice and see if he was truly a merchant or something else.

Rewards:
Patroclus

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Usergroups:

Postby Patroclus » March 9th, 2016, 2:38 pm

Showdown35 wrote:I don't know that Patroclus means every Merchant encountered has that entire list of wares! My guess is the GM decides what each Merchant is selling, or randomizes it somehow?

For my homebrew rules, I have a deck of equipment with multiple copies of each item, more copies of cheap common items, less copies of expensive rare items. Whenever the heroes shop (or encounter a Merchant) I shuffle and draw a limited number of items from the equipment deck, and only those items are for sale. The Merchant idea from Patroclus would fit in well with this method!

No, it's better to not use all the types of items in a single merchant. You can put in one quest the merchant with potions, and after 2 quests (for example) a merchant with scrolls. Or you can use your deck and keep only my item costs. But, we should not afraid to give many items to the heroes. This will give extra flexibility in different circumstances that could add to the gameplay even if this will make their life easier.

To avoid the hording of items you can also use some kind of inventory. For example, 5 potions max, 5 scrolls, etc.

Rewards:
Patroclus

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Usergroups:

Postby knightkrawler » March 9th, 2016, 3:24 pm

Or shuffle the equipment, scroll, and other item cards and whathaveyou and draw a number of them for the merchant to have for sale.

Rewards:
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Next

Return to Rules