• Advertisement

Monster's defend dice

Discuss new Rules for HeroQuest.

Re: Monster's defend dice

Postby Bareheaded Warrior » Sunday February 7th, 2016 12:05pm

Black shields are a critical hit, so if you roll a black shield when attacking you get the same as 2 skulls, if your defending and you roll a black shield, it counts as 2 white shields.

Tried that but if you are playing EU rules then this boosts the Monsters too much as their extra skulls cost the Heroes BP but the Heroes extra skulls tend to be wasted on overkills on Monsters that have only 1 BP. I found that replacing the Black Shield with an extra Skull did the job and keeps it simple.
Original Campaign - Next Quest: The Fire Mage
Other Activities; Redesign of Hero Sheet to facilitate carrying limits

My House Rules

Character Sheet
Bareheaded Warrior

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Ye Olde Inn is proudly hosted by

Proudly Hosted by MDD Hosting

Host your Website at MDD Hosting by clicking the logo above and Ye Olde Inn will receive a commission that we'll put toward keeping Ye Olde Inn online for everyone to enjoy!

Postby Lemmeron » Wednesday February 10th, 2016 1:19am

My family played all the way through keller's keep and return of the witchlord and a couple of the later original quests with all monsters defending with blue dice - ie white shields on standard combat dice.

There were 3 heroes - dwarf, elf and wizard - so no barbarian and they still had little trouble completing these quests.

My equipment is a little different than the standard gear, but alot of the time it was comparable.

So for us, it was a good change that made it less boring all round. It is good when heroes actually have epic fights at times that last more than 1-3 rolls

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie!
Lemmeron

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby sajungzak » Wednesday February 10th, 2016 2:30am

Cool. I thought it worked really well. I (the fire mage) was able to use all the chaos spells which is nice.
It's good to hear about examples in which all monsters defending with white shields or blue dice into the expansions. That's what I was wondering. I'm not worried about it being overpowered in fan made quests, I expect it to be.
this is where I've been posting my painting progress so far:
http://www.facebook.com/zachary.lewis.96

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Destroyed a Zombie!
sajungzak

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Stoner81 » Friday February 26th, 2016 9:09pm

For my own rules I have expanded the amount of Body Points monsters have but I might make it so that Chaos Warriors and Gargoyles (and monsters of similar power) defend with White shields and then all named monsters (bosses) defend using both White and Black. I am going to wait and see how my new monster stats pan out first though.

Stoner81.
Stoner81

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » Saturday February 27th, 2016 12:53am

On another tip... We have black shield as weapon damage... But, I've come to realise how impossible it is to roll 3 black shields on the combat dice, never mind 4 for even more spruced up heroes.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
mitchiemasha

Ogre
Ogre

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby sajungzak » Thursday July 27th, 2017 9:33pm

Overdue update:
The heroes finally completed all the base quests with monsters defending with white shields. It took a long time because it's hard to get a group together, not because it was too hard.
The players weren't always the same but they were always seasoned board gamers. Hardly ever did a player have any rpg experience, yet there were only a handful of hero deaths in the whole play through.

Defending with white shields does not have a very noticeable impact on monsters with 3 or fewer defend dice, but four or more could occasionally mean a protracted encounter. This is not necessarily bad though because Zargon should want those monsters to last a bit longer...

In the end I will continue to implement this house rule, except when playing with children (or newbs). I'm also pretty sure the equipment should cost more, but that's for another time.
this is where I've been posting my painting progress so far:
http://www.facebook.com/zachary.lewis.96

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Destroyed a Zombie!
sajungzak

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby cynthialee » Friday July 28th, 2017 11:11am

Defend on White Shields is a great upgrade to monsters. I find it tends to really increase difficulty of some quests to almost undoable. It does not make the average dungeon undoable though. The average dungeon becomes a true challenge. Defend on Black Shields is way to easy mode for my players. They blow through those monsters with ease and feel unchallenged. Not fun. Now there are a few dungeons with massive amounts of mobs that can kill parties that mess up by the book. For those dungeons I highly recommend the heroes are equipped from the Emperors Armory.
It certainly keeps the heroes close to each other when they crawl one of my Champion level dungeons.

{Major upgrade to Boss Monsters and Named Villains: Defends on ALL shields.}
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Previous