• Advertisement

Monster Skills

Discuss new Rules for HeroQuest.

Re: Monster Skills

Postby Gold Bearer » Saturday January 16th, 2016 1:06pm

Changed the waaagh effect to tone it down a little bit, removed the orc skill because they're better left as standard, it was the least interesting skill anyway, their unique ability is that they don't have one, and I took out that the EWP discards a spell when a fimir dies which was to balance spell sharing but really isn't needed.

bobo8929 wrote:Great addition to the Game. Favorite house rule is the Zombie "infection". Since zombies weren't the thing back in the '90s I think it's great to add some of the much loved zombie craze we're seeing today. Thanks for sharing!
I missed this post. The zombie skill is my favourite as well. |_P

The Road Warrior wrote:
Gold Bearer wrote:Greenskins
Greenskins can reroll one attack dice for every waaagh token but can only reroll each dice once. Every time there's a greenskin on the board at the end of the EWP's turn, take a waaagh token, up to a maximum of three. Every time there isn't a greenskin on the board at the end of the EWP's turn, remove a waaagh token.
I really like this rule, and it fits, in style, with some of my own custom rules. I might 'borrow it but would probably use it as a special rule for an Orc Shaman or Warlord.
Oh your slayer skill. I wasn't thinking of that when I did it but I probably had it in the back of my mind.

Edit:
Added fire vulnerability to mummies.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2454

Wanna learn martial arts? Check out my youtube channel, tutorials coming soon. By far my most popular video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ie6BkN-3E

Gateway to higher dimensions - DMT, Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtT6Xkk-kzk

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » Sunday January 24th, 2016 11:19am

Updated the undead rules with a very cool get back up mechanic based on an idea by Once was Mortimer. Now the undead have a group skill to match the greenskins'. Also put the waaagh rule back to rerolls, that's better than taking away hero defence dice.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Wanna learn martial arts? Check out my youtube channel, tutorials coming soon. By far my most popular video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ie6BkN-3E

Gateway to higher dimensions - DMT, Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtT6Xkk-kzk

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby mitchiemasha » Sunday January 24th, 2016 3:48pm

Yes the current system looks to be getting a group skill as well as individual. I'm liking the Undead Class/Group but like I said, too powerful as is, more thought needed. It's next to impossible to keep them down.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » Sunday January 24th, 2016 4:39pm

Okay, I've toned it down a bit. |_P

Rewards:
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby mitchiemasha » Thursday January 28th, 2016 7:35am

I got to play test the undead last night. I used the trial. A Wizard - Healer, Ranger - Tame beast, Dwarf - Stand fast, Thief - Sneak.

It worked out ok, thanks to the Ranger having 2 Goblins under his control most the game, those downed undead were easier to keep down. If it wasn't for the Ranger they of been toast. MAM on the Goblins is what did it, those extra attack, to finish them off and move away. There was a lot of healing going on and only the wizard didn't make it out. Some very near misses for the rest, thanks to Chaos Tokens and especially 1 of the Goblin when it finally turned.

It was the Chaos Tokens, Ambush! that took the Wizard out. 2 returning Skeletons meant his waiting outside down a corridor was finally broke. The ranger should of killed them when springing them but ran off to catch up. The wizard should of been able to handle them but nooo!!!

Rewards:
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » Thursday January 28th, 2016 2:12pm

The trail, that's hard anyway so it was a good test. Sounds like the quest was a lot of fun. It's difficult to judge when you're using other house rules as well but the get-up-able undead mixed with AHQ chaos tokens in the trail and still three, nearly all four heroes made it out. Sounds like this version was a lot more balanced. |_P

Rewards:
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby mitchiemasha » Thursday January 28th, 2016 6:14pm

They had 2 goblins for most the Quest and A Healer. 2 of the rooms never got opened. Had those rooms been opened, they'd not of made it.

Rewards:
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » Friday January 29th, 2016 12:43pm

The most important question, did the players enjoy the undead getting back up and having to finish them while they were down? Was it a fun or a pain, or both?

I'd like it as a hero player.

Rewards:
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby mitchiemasha » Friday January 29th, 2016 2:39pm

Did I not mention it was playtested in solo play... Oooops!!!

Game of thrones is our groups main game but after a shorter than expected session, HQ made it to the table. That's what inspired me to get my 'Spiced Up' 2 page finished. Why I posted it here for help from everyone at the INN. The guy who hosts the nights wants me to showcase it but we had Black Plague for the first time last week. Nothing was pulling us away from that. The armour saves from friendly fire and deliberately shooting friends, because of, brought about a lot more RPG style play I've not seen before, it was good. We played a few sessions of that instead.

Anyways... I want it to be more polished and thought out before we test it for real. If we'd played it then, there's a lot more we've come up with here that would of been missed.

Rewards:
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby MadMickyG » Saturday March 19th, 2016 3:58am

I like the majority of these rules.

Make some slight changes, but they seem like they would add some fun and make things a tad harder.
On the Zombie Infection and Mummy Curse, think I might need to make a Cleric that can create Holy Water. Might need it!
Check out my dabblings in writing.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Madhouse ... 4179561807
Feel free to let me know what you think. All comments/criticisms welcome.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
MadMickyG

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Rules