• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Monster Skills

Discuss new Rules for HeroQuest.

Monster Skills

Postby Gold Bearer » January 15th, 2016, 8:07 am

Greenskins
Greenskins can reroll one melee attack dice for every Waaagh token in play but can only reroll each dice once. Take one Waaagh token every time there's a Greenskin on the board at the end of the EWP's turn, up to a maximum of three. Remove one Waaagh token every time there isn't a Greenskin on the board at the end of the EWP's turn.

Goblins Sneak: Goblins can use part of their movement, attack and then take the rest of their movement.

Fimirs Enchanted: Take a random chaos spell each time a new fimir is revealed that is shared with other fimirs. When the last one on the board dies, discard any unused fimir spells and reshuffle the deck.

Undead
When an Undead Monster is reduced to 0BP, place them lying down on their square. Downed Monsters don't block LOS or movement but you can't end a turn on their square unless you're attacking them. The EWP rolls a dice for each Downed Monster at the start of their turn. On a skull it gets back up but can't take a turn that round, on a white shield it stays down and on a black shield it gets back and can take a turn that round. Downed Monsters always get back up with 1BP. An Adventurer can finish off a Downed Monster by moving onto their square and using their attacking action.

Skeletons Bony: Defend on black shields against crushing weapons, white shields and skulls against piercing weapons and either shield against other weapons.

Zombies Infection: A target wounded by a zombie rolls a combat dice, on a skull they are infected and roll a combat dice at the start of each of the turns, loosing 1BP on a black shield. A hero killed by infection becomes a zombie. Can be cured by drinking Holy Water which is then discarded, Water Of Healing or Dispel from the Protection spell set.

Mummies Tomb Curse: If a mummy scores more black shields when it attacks than the target rolls white shields, the target is cursed and from then on ignores one skull for every black shield rolled when attacking and one white shield for every black shield rolled when defending. Can be cured by drinking Holy Water which is then discarded, Water Of Healing or Dispel from the Protection spell set.

Chaos
Chaos troops are expert warriors and so roll an extra dice when they attack if they don't move during the same turn.

Chaos Warriors Sturdy: Can roll an extra defence dice each time they're attacked if they didn't move on their previous turn, including in the round that they're first revealed.

Gargoyles Fierce: Can make a whip attack with two combat dice that can be used to attack diagonally and can attack, then move, then attack.

Chaos Sorcerers/Warlocks Absorption: Regain 1BP for every BP of damage caused and 1MP for every MP of damage caused.

As an optional rule extension for the zombie infection and mummy's curse you could carry them over between quests, allowing a hero to be healed at a temple for 10gp and buy holy water for 50gp. They could still regain body points between quests, or they could be cured of the curse but not recover their BP to show that they're recovering from infection. If you want to improve lower BP heroes chancing of surviving infection you could make them lose one of whichever is highest, BP or MP, and one of each when they're the same.

Piercing weapons should include daggers and short swords but not other swords, there aren't any crushing weapons as standard other than the staff but you could include axes.

You might want to use a separate chaos deck for fimirs in quests with other chaos spell users.
Last edited by Gold Bearer on July 29th, 2016, 12:07 pm, edited 9 times in total.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Monster Skills

Postby bobo8929 » January 15th, 2016, 1:13 pm

Great addition to the Game. Favorite house rule is the Zombie "infection". Since zombies weren't the thing back in the '90s I think it's great to add some of the much loved zombie craze we're seeing today. Thanks for sharing!
bobo8929

Goblin
Goblin

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby cornixt » January 15th, 2016, 3:11 pm

What happens if a player is infected at the end of the game without drinking holy water? Cured in time for the next quest?

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
cornixt

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » January 15th, 2016, 10:56 pm

Yea I didn't intend for it to carry over between quests, but maybe they need to visit a temple to have it removed for a nominal fee, like 10gp. The temple could sell holy water as well. If they don't get cured because there's no temple between the quests or whatever they could still start the next quest with full BP. Might bit a bit too dangerous for the wizard though with only 4BP. Maybe they could lose 1BP or 1 MP each time they roll a black shield, whichever is higher, BP if they're the same, that could work if you want it carry over.

Thanks Mitchiemasha and Once was Mortimer for giving me some skill ideas to steal. |_P
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby bobo8929 » January 16th, 2016, 1:00 am

I think since between quests everyone gets restored to full health .... it makes sense that any illness from a zombie bite would be cured as well.
bobo8929

Goblin
Goblin

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » January 16th, 2016, 1:52 am

For the undead pointy weapons vs blunt... Hard to kill. Make it so a hammer, blunt weapon negates the effect.
Edit: that's not my idea though I seen it else where, many years ago

For drain I prefer absorption.

I'm going to use the +1 CD for Chaos Warrior (including it in the other thread http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=143&t=3281) Simply stating +1 CD if not moved. As it says CD that implies attacking and defending. Works thematically and makes them nice and strong. Suits the term Stand Fast and how they are heavily armoured, experienced fighters.
Last edited by mitchiemasha on January 16th, 2016, 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » January 16th, 2016, 3:39 am

I've made some revisions, mainly for fimirs, mummies and skellies. Big improvement I think.

mitchiemasha wrote:For the undead pointy weapons vs blunt... Hard to kill. Make it so a hammer, blunt weapon negates the effect.
I added it just for skeletons as well as the reverse for piercing weapons.

mitchiemasha wrote:For drain I prefer absorption.
Me too. |_P

Rewards:
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby mitchiemasha » January 16th, 2016, 3:54 am

I keep editing my post just in case you missed my recomment.

Rewards:
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » January 16th, 2016, 4:03 am

bobo8929 wrote:I think since between quests everyone gets restored to full health .... it makes sense that any illness from a zombie bite would be cured as well.

Yeah, that's how i'd see it.

if you liked those mods, have a look at this, https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzUqoU ... sp=sharing
2.0 is now up.
Last edited by mitchiemasha on January 20th, 2016, 6:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

Rewards:
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby The Road Warrior » January 16th, 2016, 11:12 am

Gold Bearer wrote:Greenskins
Greenskins can reroll one attack dice for every waaagh token but can only reroll each dice once. Every time there's a greenskin on the board at the end of the EWP's turn, take a waaagh token, up to a maximum of three. Every time there isn't a greenskin on the board at the end of the EWP's turn, remove a waaagh token.

I really like this rule, and it fits, in style, with some of my own custom rules. I might 'borrow it but would probably use it as a special rule for an Orc Shaman or Warlord.
Join in the community project.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
The Road Warrior

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Next

Return to Rules