• Advertisement
HeroGM Advanced Soundboard

Dive into the dimension of dynamic sound with Hero GM!
Free version available! Save 10% on full version with offer code "yeoldeinn"

Revised Wizards Of Morcar Spells

Discuss new Rules for HeroQuest.

Re: Revised Wizards Of Morcar Spells

Postby wallydubbs » Tuesday September 3rd, 2019 6:09pm

I think it's meant that the hero gets to reroll any and/or all of the defense dice for each attack. If he's defending with 4 dice and gets 1 shield, he may reroll the 3 non-shields. If a 2nd monster attacks he may do the same. This would justify the one time use of the spell. If played at the right time the hero could successfully defend all 5 attacks by getting to reroll any defense dice once per attack.
wallydubbs

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby lestodante » Tuesday September 3rd, 2019 6:55pm

I got it... it is way more useful now!
But I prefer in the original version it lasts until the end of your next turn (so basically you may use it for two turns if you cast it before moving)

Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Scout
Scout

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Pancho » Wednesday September 4th, 2019 2:15am

Wallydubs is correct above; you can select which dice you want to reroll from any dice rolls you have to make until the spell ends.
Lestodante, interesting idea; This spell might still need a bit of work to make it worthy. If we change it to end of your next turn the caster won’t get much benefit on that turn because he’s already taken his action, but he’ll get it on Morcars turn, and then on his next turn. That’s makes the spell powerful.
Maybe too powerful? Thinking about it, it is supposed to be a Spell of Protection. It might be more thematic to have the defensive benefit on Morcars turn, but no attacking benefit on your own turn? The caster would still get the defensive benefit of trap avoidance if he cast it before moving.

Also, do I need to change the text to make it clear that it can be cast on yourself?

Rewards:
Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges.
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » Wednesday September 4th, 2019 5:52am

Singular they or them is used as gender neutral word in modern english. Any one means one target, you choose.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby Pancho » Wednesday September 4th, 2019 6:27am

Anderas wrote:Singular they or them is used as gender neutral word in modern english. Any one means one target, you choose.

That's what I thought too.
I'm still not sure whether to make the card clear that the spell can be cast on yourself. It's clear to me that you can, but sounds like other people want to use the cards so...

Rewards:
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » Wednesday September 4th, 2019 7:54am

Pancho wrote:Wallydubs is correct above; you can select which dice you want to reroll from any dice rolls you have to make until the spell ends.
Lestodante, interesting idea; This spell might still need a bit of work to make it worthy. If we change it to end of your next turn the caster won’t get much benefit on that turn because he’s already taken his action, but he’ll get it on Morcars turn, and then on his next turn. That’s makes the spell powerful.
Maybe too powerful? Thinking about it, it is supposed to be a Spell of Protection. It might be more thematic to have the defensive benefit on Morcars turn, but no attacking benefit on your own turn? The caster would still get the defensive benefit of trap avoidance if he cast it before moving.

Also, do I need to change the text to make it clear that it can be cast on yourself?

It's actually a spell of Detection, isn't it? The hero imbued with this spell can foresee his enemies movements and can take precautions to counter them offensively and defensively.

I agree with Lestodante, it should expire at the end of your next turn. Although the Wizard could cast this on himself, it costs him an action to do so: but on his next turn (after getting to defend) he'll have a better chance at offense.

I remember playtesting Against the Ogre Horde, the Wizard cast this spell on the Barbarian during the Pit of Chaos. The Wizard had already used Clairvoyance to see into the middle room, so in casting this on the Barbarian, he rolled a 6 and a 1 on movement, rerolled the 1 (which turned into another 6, charged at Festral and attacked, rolling 3 skulls, rerolled the 4th dice into another skull and killed Festral before he had a chance to cast any spells.
And then he was allowed to reroll all his defense dice when the Chaos Warriors came running...
wallydubbs

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Postby Pancho » Wednesday September 4th, 2019 8:59am

wallydubbs wrote:
Pancho wrote:Wallydubs is correct above; you can select which dice you want to reroll from any dice rolls you have to make until the spell ends.

It's actually a spell of Detection, isn't it? The hero imbued with this spell can foresee his enemies movements and can take precautions to counter them offensively and defensively.

I agree with Lestodante, it should expire at the end of your next turn. Although the Wizard could cast this on himself, it costs him an action to do so: but on his next turn (after getting to defend) he'll have a better chance at offense.

I remember playtesting Against the Ogre Horde, the Wizard cast this spell on the Barbarian during the Pit of Chaos. The Wizard had already used Clairvoyance to see into the middle room, so in casting this on the Barbarian, he rolled a 6 and a 1 on movement, rerolled the 1 (which turned into another 6, charged at Festral and attacked, rolling 3 skulls, rerolled the 4th dice into another skull and killed Festral before he had a chance to cast any spells.
And then he was allowed to reroll all his defense dice when the Chaos Warriors came running...

My bad mistake, it is indeed a spell of detection. In that case, it probably is best to make the change suggested by Lestodante.

Nice use of the Clairvoyance Spell by the way. I know you didn't rate it that highly in your first post, but I actually really like that spell. I think its the control freak in me. I don't get to play as a Hero very often, but when I do I jump at the chance to learn whats in the next room without opening the door...

Rewards:
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » Wednesday September 4th, 2019 10:25am

Pancho wrote:Nice use of the Clairvoyance Spell by the way. I know you didn't rate it that highly in your first post, but I actually really like that spell. I think its the control freak in me. I don't get to play as a Hero very often, but when I do I jump at the chance to learn whats in the next room without opening the door...

Oh, I agree. This spell is underrated, and rarely utilized. In one of my groups my girlfriend and her daughter (playeing as the Elf and Wizard) never pick spells of Detection, primarily because at first glance this spell doesn't seem to offer much for combat.
However in another group, my cousin was the Wizard wanted to try out Treasure Hoard, so I edged him to pick Detection, telling him if he uses Clairvoyance solid rock on the quest map will not count as an empty room; and it will reveal all traps in the room as well the next Treasure card (which would be assigned to that room).
Midway through the quest he used it on the middle room (which is where the boss was)... so it turned into them knowing where to go, but not how to get there.
Eventually they did and they strategized masterfully,
the Wizard bundled the Barbarian with Rock Skin and Future Sight (while also passing on a bag of Heroic Brew; and the Elf backed him up with Time Stop. What occurred next was mystifying:
The Barbarian managed 3 attacks (with Future Sight, mind you), while the Dwarf stood in the doorway, protecting the Elf and Wizard, who blasted my monsters with air spells and crossbow quarrels. It wasn't a battle, it was a slaughter.
On the Elf's next turn he beefed the Barbarian further with "Double Image". I think my Chaos Warrior only got 1 skull in on the Barbarian by the time the fighting was done.
wallydubbs

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Postby lestodante » Wednesday September 4th, 2019 1:47pm

I don't think it will be too powerful... it leaves your attack or defence the same, but make it more accurate because if you fail a roll you can adjust it.
An attack with 2 dice will not make more damage than 2 BP.
With the end of your next turn (liek the original card was) I understand that I can cast it during my turn (if I have the skill, I can also cast a second spell and move) then all the other players, including the evil wizard will play their turn and then it is my next turn when I can still get advantage of the spell effect. And only after this turn the spell ends.

Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Pancho » Wednesday September 11th, 2019 10:29am

Agreed. Changes made to card here (please excuse the other cards in the PDF, which aren't relevant to the topic).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Rules