• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Events

Discuss new Rules for HeroQuest.

Events

Postby Gold Bearer » June 28th, 2015, 2:06 pm

This is to add a bit of random danger to the quests and to allow the monsters to come to the heroes from time to time instead of just sitting there. Normally when when there's no monsters on the point it's completely pointless to roll movement dice. Dungeons should be more dangerous and unpredictable.

Events
The GM rolls two standard dice at the start of each of their turns and compares the result to the event number.
Above the event number = Nothing.
Equal to the event number = Activates the nearest room to a random Adventurer who's in sight of a door to a room with Monsters.
Under the event number = Random Event.

Event Number
One-Two Adventures = 3
Three-Five Adventures = 4
Six-Nine Adventurers = 5
Ten-Fourteen Adventurers = 6
Fifteen-Twenty Adventurers = 7
Etc.

Random Events
1 = Monster Patrol.
2 = Wandering Monsters.
3 = A random Adventurer triggers a Hidden Trap.
4 = Rare Event.
5 = A random Hero draws a Treasure Card.
6 = A random Hero finds treasure: Skull = D6x10gp, White Shield = Random potion, Black Shield = Random scroll.

Monster Patrols
Skull = Two Monsters, White Shield = One, Black Shield = Three.
Monsters are placed on a square that's in sight of an Adventurer but directly adjacent to square that isn't and that leads to an unexplored area. If there's more than one Monster then place the others on any square directly adjacent to the previous one and that's in sight of an Adventurer, and if there's three do the same again. Monster Patrols can take their turn as soon as they're triggered.

Wandering Monsters
Skull = Two Monsters, White Shield = One, Black Shield = Three.
The same rules as Monster Patrols except that they can't do anything on the turn that they're triggered.

Hidden Traps
1 = Spear Trap, 2 = Shallow Hole, 3 = Poisoned Dart, 4 = Swinging Blade, 5 = Fireburst, 6 = Gas Trap.
The shallow hole is a pit trap that doesn't obscure movement, so it automatically causes 1BP damage but doesn't have any lasting effect. Poison damage can only be healed by something that specifically states that it can. The swinging blade works the same as in AtOH and affects the target square plus two more in a straight line in a random available direction. The Fireburst trap works the same way as in WoM except that it's instant and in corridors it affects the target square and those adjacent to it (including diagonally).

Poisoned Dart
Skull = Lose 1BP poison damage, White Shield = Unaffected, Black Shield = Lose 1MP poison damage.

Gas Trap
Every Character in the same room or corridor section(s) misses a turn and rolls a combat dice. On a skull they lose 1BP and on a black shield they lose 1BP poison damage. A section of corridor is up to and including junctions. Undead are immune to gas.

Rare Events
Every time a hero or follower looses a BP the heroes take a luck token (tokens shared by all hero players) and every time a monster looses a BP the EWP takes a luck token. When a rare event occurs multiply the heroes number of tokens by four and subtract the number of EWP tokens, this is a modifier to be applied to the 6D6 dice roll.

6 = Monster Restoration: Heals and/or revives Monsters.
7 = Alarm: An alarm sounds.
8 = Ambush: One Monster Patrol for each available direction that leads to an unexplored area.
9 = Monster Protection Aura: All Monsters are immune to damage until the beginning of the GM's next turn.
10 = Monster Rejuvenation: All Monsters regain one lost BP and MP.
11 = Lure Of Evil: A random Follower switches allegiance and is now treated as a Monster.
12 = Insect Swarm: The area fills with a cloud of insects.
13 = Sneak Attack: A random Adventure is attacked using the vanilla Wandering Monster rules.
14 = Trapped: One Wandering Monster for each available direction that leads to an unexplored area.
15 = Fool's Gold: A random Hero realises that D6x10 of their gold is fake.
16 = Equipment Damage: A random Hero damages a random piece of equipment or potion.
17 = Leader: The next Monster (random if there's more than one) with 3BP or less to be revealed is able attack twice in melee each round.
18 = Sealed In: All doors on the board close and can't be opened again until the beginning of the GM's next turn.
19 = Monster Psychic Aura: The Adventurers are struck by a powerful magical force.
20 = Monster Power Aura: Monsters defend on white shields, not black and attack on black shields and skulls until the beginning of the GM's next turn.
21 = Dampening: All Characters are unable to cast spells until the beginning of the GM's next turn and all ongoing spell effects are ended.
22 = Mentor's Power Aura: Adventurers count black shields as successful rolls when attacking and defending until the beginning of the GM's next turn.
23 = Mentor's Psychic Aura: The Monsters are struck by a powerful magical force.
24 = Animosity: An amusing fight breaks out amongst the Monsters.
25 = Unbound: The magic binding the walking dead is broken, all active Undead with 0MP crumble to dust.
26 = Map: The contents (excluding Monsters) of a random board section (including explored ones but not empty ones) is laid out.
27 = Precious Gem: A random Hero spots a shiny... 1 = Amber 50gp, 2 = Pearl 100, 3 = Emerald 150, 4 = Ruby 200, 5 = Sapphire 250, 6 = Diamond 300.
28 = Equipment: Shuffle the equipment cards and deal one to a random Hero.
29 = Artifact: A random Hero finds a... Skull = Magical Throwing Dagger, White Shield = Lucky Charm (allows one reroll), Black Shield = Elixir Of Life.
30 = Magic Items: A random Hero finds one random potion and one random scroll.
31 = Follower: You make a new friend.
32 = Mentor's Rejuvenation: All Adventurers regain one lost BP and MP.
33 = Mentor's Protection Aura: All Adventurers are immune to damage until the beginning of the GM's next turn.
34 = Master Scroll: A random Hero finds a Master Scroll that can be used to cast a spell without discarding it.
35 = Master Potion: A random Hero finds an all in one potion that causes every standard potion effect (healing restores D6 BP) including the two poisons.
36 = Adventurer Restoration: Heals and/or revives Adventurers.

Restoration
Skull = Minor Restoration: All wounded Monsters/Adventurers are restored to full BP.
White Shield = Major Restoration: All dead Monsters/Adventurers are resurrected and placed anywhere on the board with full BP.
Black Shield = Total Restoration: All wounded Monsters/Adventurers are restored to full BP and all dead Monsters/Adventurers are resurrected with full BP.
Revived Heroes can be placed on any available squares, revived monsters are placed on their starting squares.

Alarm
Skull = All unrevealed Monsters in the centre room and a random board section (including explored ones but not empty ones) become active.
White Shield = All unrevealed Monsters in a random board section (including explored ones but not empty ones) become active.
Black Shield = All unrevealed monsters on the board become active.

Insect Swarm
The room or corridor of a random Adventurer fills with a swarm of insects, limiting Adventurers to one action and Monsters to half movement if they perform an action until the beginning of the GM's next turn.

Equipment Damage
Damaged equipment can't be used and can be repaired by a blacksmith for half it's full value. Potions are destroyed.

Psychic Aura
Skull = Every target rolls a combat dice and loses 1BP on a skull and one 1MP on a black shield.
White Shield = Every target has to roll under their current MP on a standard dice or miss their next turn.
Black Shield = Both effects.

Animosity
If two different races of Monster (not Undead) are active then they have to attack (or move towards them if they can't reach) the other race if there's a member of that race closer to them than an Adventurer. If there's more than two Monster races then determine them randomly but if any Orcs and/or Goblins are active they are automatically one/both of the races affected. Lasts until there are no active monsters of one of the races.

Map
Skull = Excludes traps and secret doors.
White Shield = Includes secret doors but not traps.
Black Shield = Includes traps and secret doors.

Follower
Skull = Mercenary Follower: A random Mercenary is encountered after his previous employers have been slain and becomes the Follower of a random Hero. If the Hero already has their maximum number of Followers then the Mercenary can be given to another Hero when the Quest is over.

White Shield = Hero Follower: You encounter a random Hero with three remaining BP after his previous party have been slain, who becomes the Follower of a random Hero for the remainder of the Quest.

Black Shield = Monster Follower: A random active (or from the next group encountered if none are active) Monster (not Undead) with 3BP or less decides they're on the wrong side and becomes the Follower of a random Hero for the remainder of the Quest.

Simple Version
Equal to or under the event number = Activates the nearest room to a random Adventurer who's in sight of a door to a room with Monsters.

Basic Version
Equal to or under the event number = Random Event.

Random Events
1 = Monster Patrol.
2 = Wandering Monsters.
4 = Activates the nearest room to a random Adventurer who's in sight of a door to a room with Monsters.
6 = A random Hero finds treasure: Skull = D6x10gp, White Shield = Random potion, Black Shield = Random scroll.

Alternate Version
Equal to the event number = Random Event.
Under the event number = Rare Event.

Random Events
1 = Monster Patrol.
2 = Wandering Monsters.
4 = Activates the nearest room to a random Adventurer who's in sight of a door to a room with Monsters.

Here's an idea for varied swarms if you want to come up with the rules for them.
1 = Insect Swarm, 2 = Rat Swarm, 3 = Bat Swarm, 4 = Spider Swarm, 5 = Scorpion Swarm, 6 = Snake Swarm.

I've deliberately made it very modular and left out events like miss and mighty swing that would be better suited to something like combat cards so it's flexible enough to use with other rules.
Last edited by Gold Bearer on December 15th, 2015, 4:36 am, edited 15 times in total.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Events

Postby Goblin-King » June 28th, 2015, 2:31 pm

Very nice. The lack of urgency is one of the few weak points of HQ.
I'm not sure what an Evil Wizard card is though...? But if you are making some sort of new cards for "random events", why not just make an entire random event deck and skip the second roll?
4 heroes with two mercenaries each triggers a random event each round?

Also, because I was playing on my phone while reading, I initially misunderstood the rules, but I don't think it was that bad an idea what I mistakenly thought was the rule.
Here it is. Use it or toss it ;)

An "uneventful round" is a round where no monsters were visible at any point and where no new doors have been opened.
For each "uneventful round" a counter/die goes up by one. That number is the event number.
This means that the longer the heroes have avoided random events, the more certain they are to trigger one.
You would still roll a die/dice to compare to the event number.
Once an event has been triggered the counter resets.

It's a thought... :)

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » June 28th, 2015, 10:30 pm

Goblin-King wrote:I'm not sure what an Evil Wizard card is though...?
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=1943

Goblin-King wrote:But if you are making some sort of new cards for "random events", why not just make an entire random event deck and skip the second roll?
Because the evil wizard cards include events that should be very rare at not happen in every quest, like finding a map to the dungeon. Think of it as rare events. Although I could make a second table and have eleven possibilities using two dice so some events are rarer than others and I could use the best ones from the evil wizard cards. Lower numbers could be bad stuff and higher numbers good stuff, like 11 = magical throwing dagger and 12 = elixir of life. That settles it, I'm making a rare events table. :)

Goblin-King wrote:4 heroes with two mercenaries each triggers a random event each round?
No, four heroes with two mercenaries each would be 4 + (4 / 8) = an event number of 6. It's the number of heroes plus a quarter of the number of followers rounding up.

Goblin-King wrote:An "uneventful round" is a round where no monsters were visible at any point and where no new doors have been opened.
For each "uneventful round" a counter/die goes up by one. That number is the event number.
This means that the longer the heroes have avoided random events, the more certain they are to trigger one.
You would still roll a die/dice to compare to the event number.
Once an event has been triggered the counter resets.
I see where you're coming from but I think I'll just stick with the number of adventurers being the only factor because I don't like the idea of random events becoming a certainty. If I was going to use that I'd cap it at a certain number.

Edit:
Tis done. :D
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Count Mohawk » June 29th, 2015, 12:03 am

Jacob Busby's advancement rules on the Rules page of the main site had some good ideas for encounters during a Quest. Basically, you roll a combat die and two red dice on each round and apply the relevant result. Skull icon events favor Morcar, while White Shield events favor the Heroes, which gives the Evil Wizard Player the edge. The events in question start on page 5.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Marquis of Math
Count Mohawk

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » June 29th, 2015, 4:19 am

|_P Cheers. I've got most of them, or something very similar. I'm not really bothered about stuff like trip. There was one thing in there that I can't believe I didn't think of though, animosity! :smack: I've added that and unbound and merged the three follower events into one which is how I originally wrote it anyway.

Rewards:
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Gold Bearer » June 29th, 2015, 7:14 pm

Made a few alterations and made simple, basic, standard and advanced options. Choice is good. You could step it up at the end of a campaign pack.

Rewards:
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby cornixt » June 30th, 2015, 9:41 am

The way you have presented it makes it look a lot more complicated than it is (I initially glossed over it because I didn't have the time to read it all). Is the event number a number that is assigned to each quest? I can't see where it is determined.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
cornixt

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » June 30th, 2015, 12:45 pm

cornixt wrote:The way you have presented it makes it look a lot more complicated than it is (I initially glossed over it because I didn't have the time to read it all).
Didn't help that the rare events were listed twice for some reason. I've switched it round a bit, it should be clearer now.

cornixt wrote:Is the event number a number that is assigned to each quest? I can't see where it is determined.
Right at the start.
The GM rolls two standard dice at the start of each of their turns and compares the result to the event number. The event number is the number of Heroes remaining plus one for every four followers, so for 1-4 followers add one to the event number, for 5-8 followers add two, etc.

Rewards:
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Gold Bearer » June 30th, 2015, 4:36 pm

I've neatened it up a bit and finished or altered a few event rules that slipped my mind.

That should be it now.

Animosity's easily my favourite. :)

Rewards:
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Tott » July 1st, 2015, 6:13 am

this is something similar to what ive been planning and its a bit stolen from Myths darkness deck...
My idea is that on each of his turns, the evil wizard player draws a card from his deck. that card has three sections, an event that WILL happen, usually some monsters appearing, a second event that might hapen, IF certain conitions are met i.e IF any hero has no other heroes in a square next to them, spawn an orc next to them, and a spell that the evil wizard player can chose to play if they wish, that will usually buff a monster(s) or debuff a hero(es)
Tott

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Next

Return to Rules