• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Alternative treasure decks

Discuss new Rules for HeroQuest.

Alternative treasure decks

Postby Ethica » April 2nd, 2015, 4:44 pm

I just wanted to share an idea I've just come up with.

If you have more than 1 deck of treasure cards you could mix them up to create an unlucky deck with more traps an wanderingmonsters, and another deck that has more treasure and potions.

You could use the worse deck for harder quests, or draw from it when a hero has been 'cursed' by a spell or hag.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Ethica

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Alternative treasure decks

Postby torilen » April 2nd, 2015, 4:50 pm

Great idea. I'll have to store that one away for later. Thanks for sharing.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » April 2nd, 2015, 4:53 pm

HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » April 2nd, 2015, 4:58 pm

I don't know... I think the treasure deck is quite hazardous as is already; with the bad cards being shuffled back in...
Also considering you want to examine the rooms for quest note treasure, you shouldn't be prohibited by facing a danger deck.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » April 2nd, 2015, 5:22 pm

Quest note treasure is always found in the first search of the room or any piece of furniture in it.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby sadkitchen » April 7th, 2015, 10:46 pm

On the rare occasion of being cursed, Zargon drew 2 treasure cards and chose which one you found. (I don't ever remember getting blessed, but it was implied that if it happened, then the searching hero would be the one who would get to choose from the treasure cards.)

-sadkitchen
sadkitchen

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:

Postby cynthialee » April 8th, 2015, 1:40 am

The deck should be properly stacked before the game. Remove any cards that do not fit with the dungeon at hand and maybe add some extras that do fit the scene. Also stack it such a way so that they do not get stuck pulling every hazard in the deck all in a row, nor do you want all the hazards on the bottom and the heroes making out like bandits without paying for those treasures. Of course there should be somewhere in the deck with a string of hazards and a string of rewards... ;)
This is just my opinion on how to help ensure that the game is properly challenging and rewarding.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:

Postby Diggin » April 8th, 2015, 3:18 am

I like the layout of the current (european) deck with only one player to search per room/corridor, sometimes people find just good stuff until later, sometimes they get all baddies. When it starts out bad for the heroes i save those hazards a few turns before shuffling them back in.
"Good and Evil, there never is one without the other."
Diggin

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » April 8th, 2015, 8:04 am

An unlucky deck would put people off searching and destroy the game. What i'd love to have seen is more new treasure cards in the expansions.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » April 9th, 2015, 2:06 pm

knightkrawler wrote:Quest note treasure is always found in the first search of the room or any piece of furniture in it.

True, but if there isn't any QN treasure you still draw a card from the deck...

cynthialee wrote:The deck should be properly stacked before the game. Remove any cards that do not fit with the dungeon at hand and maybe add some extras that do fit the scene. Also stack it such a way so that they do not get stuck pulling every hazard in the deck all in a row, nor do you want all the hazards on the bottom and the heroes making out like bandits without paying for those treasures. Of course there should be somewhere in the deck with a string of hazards and a string of rewards... ;)
This is just my opinion on how to help ensure that the game is properly challenging and rewarding.

From the sound of it you don't shuffle hazards back into the deck?

Making a "themed" deck I can dig.
But I would never stack the cards. The randomness is part of the fun in my opinion. The strings of luck / bad luck still occurs...
The way I see it, it's not a mattor of them having to "pay" for the treasure. It's more like a gamble. You want treasure you gotta take the risks.

Will to draw a card = Amount of treasure drawn x desire for more loot
                                                       remaining BP

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Next

Return to Rules