• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Want to try this new henchman

Discuss new Rules for HeroQuest.

Want to try this new henchman

Postby Diggin » March 23rd, 2015, 10:15 am

Hey there fellas!

i'm currently "building" a new ruleset by mixing and matching all sorts of stuff from this site, trying to keep things very simple and accessible for (new) players.
Now i have this idea for a henchman to hire but i could use some expert opinions on this guy and the balance he brings.

Dwarf Demolition Crew
(Can only be hired by dwarves):

A Dwarf Henchman with one barrel of Blasting powder. Cost 100Gold
5 movement, 3 mind, 1 attack, 2 defence,’ Tough’ skill (2 Body points, all our dwarf henchmen have this)
The barrel can blast away a cave-in trap or slam a hole in a wall.
Alternatively it can be set in a room and detonated the next turn. The demo crew may move, place the barrel, and then finish any remaining movement they had left.
All creatures in sight of the barrel get attacked by 5 dice (-1 for each empty space between the barrel and the monster/player

I want this guy to be a good laugh, but not too overpowered. Would you change this guy?
"Good and Evil, there never is one without the other."
Diggin

Fimir
Fimir

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Want to try this new henchman

Postby cynthialee » March 23rd, 2015, 11:08 am

I would alter it so that the use of the explosive is multi-use. The barrel has up to 10 'dice' one can divide up into smaller or larger bombs. It requires 2 dice to blow a wall or door, and 3 dice to blow a trap. All monsters and heroes within 5 squares of the blast take dice damage equivalent to the blast set off.
The Dwarf must spend a turn not moving and not taking action to set up an explosive charge. Once the charge is ready the demolition dude may hold it at ready for an indefinite amount of time.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » March 23rd, 2015, 12:07 pm

I like Cyntias proposal. Then it is not one-use only; plus you can adjust the strength later if you find he is too weak or too strong.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » March 24th, 2015, 8:07 am

Good idea with the dice total to represent quantity. Use more bigger explosion, use less for the smaller jobs.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Diggin » March 26th, 2015, 5:33 am

Alright i like the Dice system although im not sure how ' need 2 dice for a wall' should work out. Roll X dice and it only blasts through if 2 or more skulls are rolled?

I'm affraid a multi-use barrel is a bit of a liability. He might blast walls all throughthe dungeon creating shortcuts of epic proportions!
Maybe just allow for blasting cave-ins and attacking a room then...
the model im using has a big hammer on his belt. maybe he becomes 2 attack as soon as the barrel is gone.
"Good and Evil, there never is one without the other."
Diggin

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » March 27th, 2015, 4:19 pm

Careful with second attacks. It is a VERY powerful ability.

You can state things like " on two skulls the Wall breaks, on four Skulls everything breaks and buries the square with blocking stones"

That way you avoid the use of too many dices.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby cynthialee » April 3rd, 2015, 1:37 pm

I was thinking that you would just minus the charge points from the 10 point base, no need to roll dice unless some idiot is standing in the blast zone.
This hero/henchman should know his business and he will know just how much blasting powder he needs to breach a wall or a door.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Return to Rules