• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Initiative & Integrated Turn Mod

Discuss new Rules for HeroQuest.

Re: Initiative & Integrated Turn Mod

Postby mitchiemasha » January 29th, 2015, 3:11 pm

I never envisioned the dungeons as really dark or difficult. With the elaborated tiled floors the gameboard depicts and the rather luxurious furniture, I'd think they are more like underground castles. I always assumed they are lighted with cadles or torches by their inhabitants, else there would have to be lighting rules, where at least one hero has to carry a torch etc. And then again, the heroes are exerienced dungeon-explorers, too.
Even if the heroes were hampered by the environment, I still think different individuals would be faster than others. This is why I tend to combine a fixed movement attribute with a dice roll, so the random factor still applies (well, in reality, I stick with the original movement rules for now, but of course I have an opinion on what the ideal house rules would look like).

I think it was me who brought up the good footing thing and dice movement representing it. I still like the idea, love it to be honest but I did stand corrected on the HQ board, it doesn't really depict a dark, difficult to maneuver dungeon. As for the Heroes being 'Experienced' I always thought you weren't, your starting off as a fresh for the taste of adventure.

2 dice is perfect. 7 been the most likely roll, only rarely a 2 or 12. Even the most experienced can be slowed by a loose stone. With 12 been a freakly fast burst of energy which when rolled is hardly used to it's full anyways.

Don't forget those MAM 'Boots of agility' Roll a double and move 1 dice attack move the other dice... Still not got a price for these yet.
Last edited by mitchiemasha on January 31st, 2015, 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby gootchute » January 30th, 2015, 12:25 am

Big Bene wrote: (well, in reality, I stick with the original movement rules for now, but of course I have an opinion on what the ideal house rules would look like).

So true of all of us!

Mitchiemasha, thanks for saving me the effort of tracking down that quote! I buy the dark dungeon theory, despite what the board depicts. Also i'd like to point out; no board game in the 23 years since I first aquired HeroQuest has had a board so well illustrated.

cynthialee wrote:I don't like the idea of monkeying around with the order of play.
With basic board game rules it just goes faster.

I really don't like the idea of diced movement for monsters. With monsters rolling for movement it slows down the play time. The more monsters the EWP must dice movement for, the more time you are adding to the play time.
Monsters having a set movement is great for some monsters, but it seriously hamstrings others.
{Just gave me an idea for a Boss who sacrifices a Goblin while casting a spell that increases his undead minions movement rate for the duration of the dungeon. 12 movement mummies is tempting...}

That is a great encounter idea! I love it! Warhammer Fantasy Battle has a necromancy spell called Vanhel's Danse Macabre which increases the speed of undead.

I agree with you, about individually rolled monster movement dragging down play. You'll notice that they have the normal set rate in my first post. I never went forward with the diced monster movement idea I originally had.

I'm going to try out the method I described this weekend and let you all know how it goes.

Gold Bearer wrote:
gootchute wrote:GB, please explain why the lowest movement figures would gain the advantage of acting first? I'm interested in hearing your logic.
I just think it's more interesting because it means rolling low won't be so bad and rolling high won't be so good.

I just don't see how wearing plate armor would equate to almost always acting before most monsters, not to shoot down your idea though, I think I see what you're driving at.

Rolling high is already a pretty huge advantage for heroes, I never considered equalizing high and low rolls. Perhaps... if there was a stamina system in place, a low roll could help regenerate said resource. It's beyond the scope of my initial testing, but a valid idea. How else could one mitigate the strength of 12 and penalty of 2? Is it necessary?

Back to my original idea, I've been thinking more about the implications of such a modification. I think most rules will work themselves out. All the spells either refer to a target missing their next turn, or lasting until the start/end of the heroes next turn.

Dexterity and Speed potions may be quaffed before the movement dice are thrown to alter turn order (literal reading: "drink a potion at any time").

Armor will now greatly affect turn order. As an aside: I think Dwarves in plate armor should roll 2 dice and take the highest (slow, but reliable stunties)

This opens up new house-rule options:
• Spells or poisons of slowing: the affected target looses a number of movement points in the next round.
• Knockdown: a barbarian which rolls a black shield on an attack roll knocks the target down. They may be moved through, and have half movement on their next turn. This could be a purchased skill (1000 gold sound fair) or a starting benefit, whatever.

I hope to see an interesting tactical decision of when to open doors in a round (and GoldBearer this may interest you). Will they decide to open doors with a high rolling hero affording more heroes an attack this round? This would risk letting more monsters act though. Or will they decide to open doors at the lowest initiative of the round, hopefully cheating monsters out of their turn, while hoping to roll well for initiative next turn. People might actually buy Dexterity Potions now!

In all cases of altering a figure's movement: if the modification would cause a figure to be skipped or act twice in a round, apply it in the next round instead.

I'm not sure how to handle mercenaries, should they move when their fixed value is called or after their hero?? I'm leaning towards after a hero for ease of play, but exceptions are best avoided in game rules.

I'd like to offer an example just to clarify the rule proposal.
At the start of the round the board contains all 4 heroes, 2 goblins, 1 orc, 1 chaos warrior and 2 mummies.

Heroes roll Movement:
Barbarian = 7
Dwarf = 5
Elf = 11
Wizard = 9

The order of the turns will be: Elf(11), Goblins(10), Wizard(9), Orc(8), Barbarian(7), Chaos Warrior(7), Dwarf(5), Mummies(4).

/round
•==(Broadsword>

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
gootchute

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby gootchute » January 30th, 2015, 12:27 am

well damn, I quoted myself instead of edited...
•==(Broadsword>

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
gootchute

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby torilen » January 30th, 2015, 10:50 am

I kind of like the idea of the colored balls in some object that you shake up and let them fall into the tube like that.
I think I would have to have a sixth colored ball, though, for a special character or boss monster, in case they move
differently.

I also think this would have to include some special notes or rules on armor (I think someone brought this up already).
Certain armors are going to restrict movement...it wouldn't need to be a lot of new rules...maybe just that "This armor
causes your movement ball (or whatever you want to call it) to be one space down" ...something like that.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby cynthialee » January 30th, 2015, 11:48 am

I do not think the armor slows you down rules are very realistic. I have been to too many SCA events and seen men run and do cartwheels in platemail to buy that rule.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby torilen » January 30th, 2015, 2:50 pm

I have not been to events like that...but I would like to ask two questions:
1 - Is it real plate mail they're wearing? And are they really wearing all the proper materials?
2 - If so, is it close to actual warfare plate mail that would actually protect someone in a fight?

I ask this second question for two reasons - Modern crafting for event armor can make armor that is very thin, whereas medieval
armorers might not have been able to make it nearly as thin - Also...it is armor made for an event...it only has to LOOK like
plate mail.

As for the first question - I remember reading somewhere that a knight wearing plate mail would have had something close to
an extra 80 to 100 pounds of material...between the padding against his skin or clothing...the chain mail underneath...and then
the plate armor on top of everything. That's why they used such hardy horses for carrying knights...a simple riding horse would not
be able to carry the load.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby cynthialee » January 30th, 2015, 3:10 pm

There are many different types of armor at such an event from simple costume pieces to tournament armor to actual real war armor.

The reason I am so against the idea of armor slowing down a warrior substantially is from a demonstration of men in real medieval armor doing calisthenics and running around.
Warrior types have the strength and stamina that makes it a non issue. The armor may be heavy, but the weight is pretty well distributed across the body. Sure a housewife type like myself or a desk jockey would be hindered and hampered in a suit of platemail but not a young, strong and healthy man.
Then think these guys spent allot of time in this armor for training, thus their muscles would be trained to wear the armor.

Now maybe if the hero is wearing a suit of off the rack armor that has not been properly tailored and he had never worn such armor before, I could see it slowing him down. But once he gets used to it, and maybe has it tailored for his needs (+25% cost to armor?) there should not be any major issues wearing said armor.
I could see a 2D6-1 movement rule as being reasonable. It is 80-120 lbs of steel after all. But with the rule as is...it is not worth the 1D6 movement to get a limited bonus of protection.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby The Road Warrior » January 31st, 2015, 7:41 am

mitchiemasha wrote:Don't forget those MAM 'Boots of agility' Roll a double and move 1 dice attack move the other dice... Still not got a price for these yet.

These sound more like a quest treasure than an equipment item to me. :2cents:
Join in the community project.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
The Road Warrior

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby mitchiemasha » January 31st, 2015, 2:18 pm

The Road Warrior wrote:
mitchiemasha wrote:Don't forget those MAM 'Boots of agility' Roll a double and move 1 dice attack move the other dice... Still not got a price for these yet.

These sound more like a quest treasure than an equipment item to me. :2cents:

That solves my problem of price.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Big Bene » January 31st, 2015, 7:22 pm

torilen wrote:I kind of like the idea of the colored balls in some object that you shake up and let them fall into the tube like that. I think I would have to have a sixth colored ball, though, for a special character or boss monster, in case they move
differently.
The "Rassel" can be opened to add more balls when needed (normally for extra players). I would like to make one for myself, but there are around 1035 more pressing projects...
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Rules