• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

A Way to Fix the Wizard - Cantrips

Discuss new Rules for HeroQuest.

Re: A Way to Fix the Wizard - Cantrips

Postby Count Mohawk » February 20th, 2016, 12:22 am

knightkrawler wrote:
Anderas wrote:Ah now it is better :D

Sorry I did not write very understandable before with my mobile phone on work. :D Luckily Mohawk translated. |_P

...the mathematician steps in and I'm the resident linguist. Go figure.

After you play Magic the Gathering for long enough you get a feel for these sorts of things.
Also, I have learned to suss out the holes in slev's work from experience. It's an inside joke at my house now. (All in good fun of course)

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Marquis of Math
Count Mohawk

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby slev » February 20th, 2016, 4:17 am

Count Mohawk wrote:Also, I have learned to suss out the holes in slev's work from experience. It's an inside joke at my house now. (All in good fun of course)

Where this post on Old Scratch, you'd have wanted to not word it like that!

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
slev

Scout
Scout

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » February 20th, 2016, 5:11 am

|_P
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Stoner81 » March 27th, 2016, 10:52 pm

In my rules I allowed the Wizard to start with 4 sets of spells assuming there isn't a Spellsword (basically a re-worked Elf), these can be from any set from the base ones to the ones in expansions. He can also spend gold to purchase a new spell school so he has more spells to pick from which should be more than enough I think, though I do need to re-work some spells since my monsters are a lot stronger than the base UK version. I did toy with allowing the Wizard to roll 2D6 every time he casts a spell and if he rolls equal to or under his current mind point score the spell is retained but with my other rules for hero expansion/upgrades (increasing body and mind points) this would get pretty daft pretty quick.

|_P |_P |_P

Stoner81.
Stoner81

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Daedalus » April 13th, 2016, 2:52 pm

Daedalus wrote:I kind of like the last mechanic. Maybe I'll incorporate it an artifact that applies to the Wizard's standard spells, but it requires white shields as a seperate power-up solution. This would guarantee castingu the 9 chosen spells of the published rules but average 13 cast spells without requiring any extra Spell Cards.

Casting back-to-back Genies may be a problem, so here is the same artifact reworked with a delay:

Wizard's Circlet

This mystical headband enables recovery
of cast spells. It can be worn only by the
Wizard. A Spell Card may be flipped rather
than discarded when cast. On his next turn,
the Wizard then uses a cast-a-spell action
and rolls a combat die. If a white shield is
rolled, flip the card back over and turn it
to the right for reuse. Discard the spell if
the roll fails or when it is cast again.

slev wrote:The second one is far easier than you think:

Wizard. A Spell Card may be placed
underneath this card, ratherthan discarded
when cast. instead of casting a spell, you
mayand rolls a combat die. If a white shield
is rolled, add any spell under this card to
your hand. Otherwise, discard a spell from
under this card.

Thanks for the input. While I like your idea of transfering spells to the governing artifact better, I still want a limiting mechanism for how many times a spell is cast in my game. I also don't want to afford the Wizard a choice of discarding the weaker spells over more useful ones. Here's a rework that suits me:

Wizard's Circlet

Wizard. Place a Spell Card under this card
when it is first cast. You may later use a
cast-a-spell action to choose any spell
under this card and roll a combat die. If a
white shield is rolled, return the Spell Card
into play, turned to the right. Discard the
spell if the roll fails or when it is cast again.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » April 13th, 2016, 3:01 pm

The cantrips are looking great. I've got some questions on the last one.

slev wrote:Force of Will
By this Cantrip, the Wizard overcomes the will of the foe.
Cast, 1MP, Mastery (Target's MP): Force one monster in Line of Sight to attack as if it where one of your Man-at-Arms.

Does the monster get to attack again on Zargon's turn, or does the forced attack count as its single attack? Does this include movement? Also, does the monster continue to attack as a Man-at-arms, or is it one turn only?
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby slev » April 14th, 2016, 1:18 am

Daedalus wrote:The cantrips are looking great. I've got some questions on the last one.

slev wrote:Force of Will
Cast, 1MP, Mastery (Target's MP): Force one monster in Line of Sight to attack as if it where one of your Man-at-Arms.

Does the monster get to attack again on Zargon's turn, or does the forced attack count as its single attack? Does this include movement? Also, does the monster continue to attack as a Man-at-arms, or is it one turn only?

It literally causes one attack, then play resumes as normal.

It's only useful if there's a Monster that can make a suitable attack.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
slev

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » April 14th, 2016, 5:18 am

Can the monster be moved, too, or does it have to be in attacking range in the first place?
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby slev » April 14th, 2016, 7:00 am

knightkrawler wrote:Can the monster be moved, too, or does it have to be in attacking range in the first place?

It would need to be in place.

Rewards:
slev

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Count Mohawk » April 14th, 2016, 9:23 am

slev wrote:It literally causes one attack, then play resumes as normal.

It's only useful if there's a Monster that can make a suitable attack.

Since people are having mental confusion, perhaps a rewording is in order:

Force of Will
Cast, 1MP, Mastery (Target's MP): One monster within Line of Sight takes one immediate Attack Action as though it were one of your Men-at-Arms.
You may pay 1 life and exile a blue card from your hand rather than pay Force of Will's mana cost. Counter target spell.

This wording puts additional emphasis on the temporary nature of the control of the monster gained through Force of Will. I don't think people will as readily confuse "one Attack Action" with the multiple-turn control seen on spell cards such as Command. If additional clarifiaction is needed, add in parentheses "(You can't make that figure move or Cast a Spell.)".

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Marquis of Math
Count Mohawk

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Rules