A Way to Fix the Wizard - Cantrips

Discuss new Rules for HeroQuest.

Re: A Way to Fix the Wizard - Cantrips

Postby Count Mohawk » Tuesday January 19th, 2016 6:12pm

slev wrote:Alternatively, it could be "return to hand to recover 1BP", which could save him from death when he hits zero.

That would also have been a novel solution, since it would allow the Wizard to "stock" a Body Point, thus giving him one extra hit in combat if he takes a blow that would otherwise have overkilled his remaining BPs. It is for this same reason that three Rejuvenation Salves (heal 2 BPs) are more useful than a Revitalization Potion (heal 6 BPs) and thus cost more in sum.

The trick with the Broaches is also neat, although I agree with Anderas's sentiments: it's a rare moment for the Heroes to have three turns of "down time" when a competent Zargon takes the wheel.

Anderas wrote:I like Mo's solution for glittering shield and the action stockage as well.

Of course you do. Everyone likes Mohawk's solutions! :orc: :orc: :orc: :cheese:

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Marquis of Math
Count Mohawk

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Postby slev » Thursday February 18th, 2016 7:43am

I've been working on... other things. These have caused me a couple of tweaks here.

Cantrips

Wreath in Flame
By this Cantrip, the Wizard pours flame into the enemy.
Cast, Mastery 0: Place this Card in front of you. While this card is in play, you may re-roll one white Shield every time you make an attack with a weapon. Return this card to hand if an attack with a weapon causes no damage.

Breath of the Zephyr
By this Cantrip, the Wizard whips up a breeze to hasten their steps.
Cast, Mastery 0: Place this card in front of you. While this card is in play, you may re-roll one red every time you determine your movement. If your movement roll includes any sixes, return this card to your hand.

Skin of Stone
By this Cantrip, the Wizard hardens skin against harm.
Cast, 1MP, Mastery 1: Place this card in front of you. While this card is in play, you receive Defence plus one black. Return this card to your hand if you lose any Body Points.

Essence of Life
By this Cantrip, the Wizard restores vitality to the injured.
Cast, 1BP, Mastery 2: Place this card in front of you. When an effect you would cause you to lose any BP or MP, you may return this card to your hand lose half as many (round down).

Gaze of Dispair
By this Cantrip, the Wizard saps the spirit of the enemy.
Cast, Mastery 0: Ranged one blue. Target defends with White equal to Mind.

Mystic Sight
By this Cantrip, the Wizard locates that which is hidden.
Cast, 1MP, Mastery 1: Place this card in play in front of you. You may return this card to your hand at any time. When you do so, you may take an additional Search (for Treasure, Traps or Secret Doors) that turn.

Glittering Shield
By this Cantrip, the Wizard enhances armour.
Cast, 2MP, Mastery 1: Place this card in play in front of you. While this card is in play, you may re-roll one skull each time you roll for defence. This card returns to your hand if you lose any Body Points.

Force of Will
By this Cantrip, the Wizard overcomes the will of the foe.
Cast, 1MP, Mastery (Target's MP): Force one monster in Line of Sight to attack as if it where one of your Man-at-Arms.
Last edited by slev on Friday February 19th, 2016 9:07am, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
slev

Archmage
Archmage

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » Friday February 19th, 2016 3:10am

You state 'while this card is in play'. How can it be removed from play? Is there an ending condition?

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » Friday February 19th, 2016 3:37am

As soon as you "return [it] to your hand", for example when you lose BP in Skin of Stone.
I find the wording liguistically sound and unambiguous, though I'd streamline the grammar to either all of these instances active: "return this card to your hand" or passive: "this card is return to your hand".
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby slev » Friday February 19th, 2016 6:24am

Yup, KK has it pegged right!

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
slev

Archmage
Archmage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Count Mohawk » Friday February 19th, 2016 8:48am

The point Anderas was making is that Wreath in Flame does not have a condition whereby it may be returned to hand...

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Marquis of Math
Count Mohawk

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby slev » Friday February 19th, 2016 9:06am

Ahhhhh. that makes sense.
*reaches for the edit button*

Updated the problematic post. It returns to hand if said attacks cause no damage.

Rewards:
slev

Archmage
Archmage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » Friday February 19th, 2016 2:58pm

Ah now it is better :D

Sorry I did not write very understandable before with my mobile phone on work. :D Luckily Mohawk translated. |_P

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » Friday February 19th, 2016 4:08pm

Anderas wrote:Ah now it is better :D

Sorry I did not write very understandable before with my mobile phone on work. :D Luckily Mohawk translated. |_P

...the mathematician steps in and I'm the resident linguist. Go figure.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby slev » Friday February 19th, 2016 6:22pm

knightkrawler wrote:
Anderas wrote:Ah now it is better :D

...the mathematician steps in and I'm the resident linguist. Go figure.

LMFAO!

Rewards:
slev

Archmage
Archmage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Rules