• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

HeroQuest Revised Edition

Discuss new Rules for HeroQuest.

Re: HeroQuest Revised Edition

Postby girot » August 22nd, 2018, 6:48 am

Stoner81 wrote:
slev wrote:One of my players took a picture on the weekend, early in the game.
I'm at the back in my Mist t-shirt!

Hey man that board is printed on vinyl I think? Did you have it re-sized so that the squares were 30mm each?

|_P |_P |_P |_P

Stoner81.

I was wondering the same thing! I looks like it's laminated higher weight paper...

I will probably just make a new version with updated textures, and scale it up to 32mm x 32mm squares. I like laminated, but the glare from the plastic is awful if the lighting isn't just right.
girot

Fimir
Fimir

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups: .
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby knightkrawler » August 22nd, 2018, 7:52 am

As Slev hasn't responded, I'll be so bold and go ahead.
Comparing those round miniature bases with lip (which I also use for all normal-sized minis) with the HQ Orc's base I should think the bases are 30mm in diameter, which makes the board squares 30mm, I guess.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Stoner81 » December 16th, 2018, 4:30 am

Thanks for the reply!

|_P |_P |_P

Stoner81.
Stoner81

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Okko » December 21st, 2018, 12:08 am

A lot of work seems to have gone into these revised rules and credit to the people behind them. Is it still a actively being worked on?
Okko

Orc
Orc

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Maurice76 » December 21st, 2018, 6:14 am

Okko wrote:A lot of work seems to have gone into these revised rules and credit to the people behind them. Is it still a actively being worked on?

I certainly hope so. Slev ran into some reallife stuff that took up all of his time first half of this year, but he returned during the summer time. It's been 3 months since his previous visit, however, so I hope he hasn't given up on us so soon again and still has a warm place for the lot of us in his heart |_P . Unless of course Zargon / Morcar sent his minions to batter down his door and drag him off, chained in a deep, dank and dark dungeon. If so, anyone have a few :barbarian: :dwarf: :elf: :wizard: at hand to mount a rescue attempt?

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Maurice76

High Mage
High Mage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Maurice76 » April 29th, 2019, 5:18 am

Yesterday, me and my friends finally managed to sit around a gaming table together and fire up a new session of HeroQuest, the first time in about 25 years since we last played it. We added the Advanced Rules into play and we all considered it a valuable addition to our gaming experience! There's a lot more strategy and especially the Wizard player enjoyed the added versatility to his class, even though he still has to grow into that versatility. We most definitely will continue using it.

However, despite all the fun and strategical considerations it brought, we did notice a few flaws in the design, that we're going to house-rule differently than the Advanced Rules state. I'll list those here:

Test of Will
The Test of Will requires the owner of the miniature to roll :roll6: :roll6: and add the totals. If this is higher than the current Mind Points of the miniature, the test fails. That's a problem for most non-Heroes, if you realise that except for a few Monsters, they don't exceed 3 Mind Points. Even the Barbarian and the Dwarf will have a hard time beating that test, especially when they've suffered Mind Point damage during the game - not uncommon, especially with the Hazard cards that do Mind Point damage. Any character - Monster or Hero alike - with just 1 Mind Point will never succeed in passing the test; even at 2 Mind Points - the default of the Barbarian - they will have just a 1 in 36 chance to pass it. One of the compounding problems is that rolling 2D6 has an outcome that gravitates towards 7, with other outcomes being increasingly unlikely, the further away from 7 it is.

There is one particular case in which this is exploitingly devastating, especially for the monsters: the Elf Spell "Hypnotic Blaze". In order to break free, characters have to pass a Test of Will but with most monsters having no more than 2 Mind Points to begin with, the Elf can lock down an entire room, including named Characters and essentially give the entire party a free round against the monsters, without them being able to even defend against it. Even on their own activation, the chance of passing a Test of Will is insignificantly small, causing them to remain frozen for the next turn of the Heroes as well.

Then there is a Dungeon Event that is extremely hard for the Heroes to overcome: "Forbidden Musk". It requires a Test of Will, which will be extremely hard for the Barbarian and the Dwarf to overcome. The Elf will have a hard time shaking that one off and even the Wizard has a less than 50% chance to overcome it, especially if he already expended Mind Points on Spells and/or Mastery Tests.

As such, we're house-ruling this one differently: In order to pass a Test of Will, the character rolls just :roll6: . If the number rolled is less than or equal to the current Mind Points, the Test of Will is passed succesfully. This means it's a lot easier (but still not trivial) to pass a Test of Will; only for the Wizard and Chaos Sorcerors the test is trivial, as they automatically pass it. The advantage is that even characters with just 1 Mind Point have a chance to succeed, even if that's just 16%.

Also, we're house-ruling that Undead are immune to its effects.

Elf Spell: Hypnotic Blaze
Aside from the problems with the Test of Will mentioned above, the Advanced Rules version of this spell suffers from two other things. The original Spell had a saving throw when the spell was applied, but this version doesn't. When we played the game yesterday, the Elf player realised how he could exploit this during "The Rescue of Sir Ragnar" and then applied said exploit in the two missions that followed it. In "Prince Magnus' Gold", he entered the central room and locked it down, allowing the other Heroes who came in after him, a free round of attacks against defenseless monsters. Before the monsters could act, both the Fimir and the Chaos Warrior had been cut down. In "Lair of the Orc Warlord", they did something similar in the room just before the Warlord, because the Barbarian wasn't close enough to assist the three Heroes when they opened that room. Furthermore, there's no expiration timer - is this supposed to last just 1 round then? The original one expired in 3 rounds.

We're house-ruling this one to bring it closer to the original: the Test of Will is made when the spell is cast, as well as when the character is activated. If the test is passed, the character breaks free and can act normally again. Otherwise, the spell will last for up to 3 turns of the affected character.

Event Cards: "Forbidden Musk" and "Oppressive Heat"
These cards have ongoing effects that last until the character is finally able to break it. With the changes to the Test of Will as suggested above, the first one might be doable, but "Oppressive Heat" is going to be a major hurdle for the Wizard to overcome. At maximum hitpoints, he only has a 1 in 6 chance to pass the Test of Strength. Depending on the number of injuries suffered, that drops to 1 in 12, or 1 in 36. In other words, the Wizard is likely to suffer the crippling effect of Oppressive Heat quite long.

We're going to house-rule these two Dungeon Events to last at most 3 turns, if the Heroes haven't been able to shake it off by then.

General Dungeon Event balance
One shortcoming we noticed, but one we've not been able to come up with a fitting solution for, is the overall balance in the way Dungeon Event cards work. Danger usually increases when the main objective has been accomplished, but in the three missions we played, the main objective was completed at the same time the dungeon was cleared of its inhabitants. Most Dungeon Event cards, however, either affect monsters that are still around somewhere, or can manipulate combat in a way that's detrimental for the Heroes. With most Dungeon Event cards coming after the main mission objective is completed, but without monsters to apply it to, many Dungeon Event cards become useless. We noticed this during the "Prince Magnus' Gold" quest, as well as the "Lair of the Orc Warlord" quest. I ended up piling up a number of Dungeon Event cards as the Heroes made their way back to the stairwell, but I had nothing to use them on, as I didn't have any monsters left and combat didn't occur anymore.

We're not sure how to change this, other than to perhaps add a number of "Wandering Monster" events to the Dungeon Event cards as well. At this moment, there's only one of those, "Ambush".

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Maurice76

High Mage
High Mage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Maurice76 » May 2nd, 2019, 8:35 am

To remedy the lack of monsters once the Heroes have completed the quest objectives, I've designed and added the following card to the event deck. I've added it about 5 times, to increase the odds of getting it.

Event - 55 - Reinforcements.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
Maurice76

High Mage
High Mage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » May 2nd, 2019, 7:05 pm

Maurice76 wrote:To remedy the lack of monsters once the Heroes have completed the quest objectives, I've designed and added the following card to the event deck. I've added it about 5 times, to increase the odds of getting it.

Event - 55 - Reinforcements.jpg

Yes. If people don't want to print a deck. The choas tokens from advanced HeroQuest (if one happens to have a set) can be used to achieve similar.

They work towards this

Maurice76 wrote:
General Dungeon Event balance
One shortcoming we noticed, but one we've not been able to come up with a fitting solution for, is the overall balance in the way Dungeon Event cards work. Danger usually increases when the main objective has been accomplished, but in the three missions we played, the main objective was completed at the same time the dungeon was cleared of its inhabitants. Most Dungeon Event cards, however, either affect monsters that are still around somewhere, or can manipulate combat in a way that's detrimental for the Heroes. With most Dungeon Event cards coming after the main mission objective is completed, but without monsters to apply it to, many Dungeon Event cards become useless. We noticed this during the "Prince Magnus' Gold" quest, as well as the "Lair of the Orc Warlord" quest. I ended up piling up a number of Dungeon Event cards as the Heroes made their way back to the stairwell, but I had nothing to use them on, as I didn't have any monsters left and combat didn't occur anymore.

We're not sure how to change this, other than to perhaps add a number of "Wandering Monster" events to the Dungeon Event cards as well. At this moment, there's only one of those, "Ambush".

But less varied not as fun outcomes, due to there only been 6 token types.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » May 3rd, 2019, 1:10 am

Are they really meant to be used on the way out?

In Prince Magnus' Gold there are, like, 25 turns until you are out of the quest. That would be hard if every few turns a new monster spawns. :lol:

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby Maurice76 » May 3rd, 2019, 4:17 am

mitchiemasha wrote:The choas tokens from advanced HeroQuest (if one happens to have a set) can be used to achieve similar.

I am not familair with the workings of advanced HeroQuest; can you elaborate how the Chaos Tokens work?

Anderas wrote:Are they really meant to be used on the way out?

In Prince Magnus' Gold there are, like, 25 turns until you are out of the quest. That would be hard if every few turns a new monster spawns. :lol:

Well, the "Danger" rolls are only made when either there are no monsters present, or if the EW skips the Activation of all present monsters - it just happens a lot more on the way out, since most monsters will have been slain by then. Two things reduce the number of monsters that spawn, though: first, the EW needs to roll the dice to see if he even gets a Dungeon Event, so he doesn't get one every turn. Second, there are like 55 cards in the Event Deck and only 5 of those are the Reinforcements, in the way I did it now. Playtesting will need to show if this is a proper balance.

Anyway, we already did Prince Magnus' Gold, and decided to skip the drudgery of the way back, especially with the movement penalty due to carrying the chests, as it added fairly little in the way of fun. We took it for granted that they'd reach the way out.

Rewards:
Maurice76

High Mage
High Mage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Rules