• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

HeroQuest Revised Edition

Discuss new Rules for HeroQuest.

Re: HeroQuest Revised Edition

Postby slev » May 19th, 2016, 10:02 am

Me and the misses have a good overlap in musical taste, but it's not all the same.

Same as games. She won't touch dungeon bash games, but will happily kick everyone's backsides at Twilight Imperium, Puerto Rico, Small World, Power Grid, etc.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
slev

Scout
Scout

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby slev » May 31st, 2016, 6:54 am

So, the other weekend we playtested the advanced game rules, with HQR’s updated Rescue of Sir Ragnar. We had four newbies, all of who are gamers though. They all enjoyed it and want to play again!

Overall it worked VERY well. The Heroes found themselves nicely balanced against the challenge, and under an appropriate amount of time pressure. The additional spawn with the alarm made sure there was still tension, even though they had gotten to Sir Ragnar having explored the entire map!

Interesting, providing the new “Run” action meant the non-Wizard heroes put even more time pressure on our Wizard as they sprinted off a lot of the time.

The Heroes now all play nicely differently, and mostly feel balanced against each other.

The Wizard was ever-so-slightly underpowered and after a lot of sums with Anderas & Count Mohawk, I’ve updated his Hero Card to allow two very small tweaks to give the needed edge.

The Dwarf proved a capable fighter and VERY hard to hurt, making him worthwhile even if the other heroes found all the traps the hard way.

The Elf had to be very careful to not be hit (lacking any starting armour), but the skills allowed the enemy to be avoided and shot easily.

The Barbarian worked like the traditional “just hit everything” Barbarian we all know and love, but wasn’t looked upon with envy by the other players, who all felt they had something different to bring to the group.

Off the back of that playtest, I’ve also updated three cards, two for clarity, and one to fix a spelling error.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
slev

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » May 31st, 2016, 7:06 am

Interesting, providing the new “Run” action meant the non-Wizard heroes put even more time pressure on our Wizard as they sprinted off a lot of the time.

This is really interesting! Didn't see that by now, but I had densely packed dungeons for testing.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby slev » May 31st, 2016, 8:06 am

Run was designed to speed up play, this is a nice side-effect in spread-out dungeons

Incidentally, the players had earlier learned to stick together, so when the other ran off, the wizard was anxious to keep up! Sure makes movement spells more useful!

Rewards:
slev

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » June 4th, 2016, 8:39 am

Just started looking at this properly, wow, you've put a LOT of work into this. |_P The presentation is excellent, I've just scan read the dungeon guide, very nice. For the cards I've just looked at the basic spells and some of the artifacts and magic items so far, I like the wizardry spell set. Did you base the revised WoM hero spell rules on my ones? :)

Can I steal that skeleton/treasure pic on your AHQ site? :mrgreen:

Edit:
Why did you change the name of deep sleep to hibernate? Deep sleep sounds nicer.

GUNS! :o BOO! :)
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby slev » June 4th, 2016, 7:21 pm

Gold Bearer wrote:Just started looking at this properly, wow, you've put a LOT of work into this. |_P The presentation is excellent, I've just scan read the dungeon guide, very nice. For the cards I've just looked at the basic spells and some of the artifacts and magic items so far, I like the wizardry spell set.

Thx. It's been a long road :)

Gold Bearer wrote:Did you base the revised WoM hero spell rules on my ones? :)

Yes I did, at least in part. SOme I'd already made the same changes.

Gold Bearer wrote:Can I steal that skeleton/treasure pic on your AHQ site? :mrgreen:

Ask Ampersand, that one is his fault.

Gold Bearer wrote:Edit:
Why did you change the name of deep sleep to hibernate? Deep sleep sounds nicer.

Deep Sleep/hibernate is less effective than Sleep, so the names didn't mtach up. Hibernate is more of a nature-based name and thus more appropriate.

Gold Bearer wrote:GUNS! :o BOO! :)

I only added a little of this in, you could always re-skin these to something else with little effort.

Rewards:
slev

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » June 4th, 2016, 7:48 pm

I like the way you kept all the official spells and built around them, that's my approach as well.

The dwarf runes are good idea and nicely done.

Disenchant is a bit nasty, I know you've got relic class items but still, rust is bad enough.

You've got two gaze of despairs in you hero set, one of them is just named e.

slev wrote:
Gold Bearer wrote:Did you base the revised WoM hero spell rules on my ones? :)
Yes I did, at least in part. SOme I'd already made the same changes.
Love it when that happens. :D

Edit:
Just looked at the dark relics. Cursed items, really like those, especially the danger bow.

I've seen a lot of that art but you used a ton that I've never come across in my searching that's really nice and I'd like to steal, do you still have the original pics?
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby slev » June 5th, 2016, 4:00 am

Gold Bearer wrote:I like the way you kept all the official spells and built around them, that's my approach as well.

I wanted to keep the feel of the original, just improving on all the good stuff.

Gold Bearer wrote:The dwarf runes are good idea and nicely done.

Thx :D

These went through several iterations, with helpful feedback from Count Mohawk.

Gold Bearer wrote:Disenchant is a bit nasty, I know you've got relic class items but still, rust is bad enough.

It's there for one quest in one quest pack thus far. It's pretty much there to screw with advanced heroes who are weighed down by artefacts they cannot easily lose.

Gold Bearer wrote:You've got two gaze of despairs in you hero set, one of them is just named e.

thx. Fixed!

Gold Bearer wrote:Just looked at the dark relics. Cursed items, really like those, especially the danger bow.

That's something we came up with as a group over on the Old Scratch forum years ago.

Gold Bearer wrote:I've seen a lot of that art but you used a ton that I've never come across in my searching that's really nice and I'd like to steal, do you still have the original pics?

No, I do not I'm afraid.

Rewards:
slev

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby slev » July 3rd, 2016, 5:58 pm

played through three quests using the advanced ruleset at Summer StabCon over the weekend. Players are liking the game, & people familiar with the original are very happy with the new magic.

It was that popular, I could have spent the entire con in one chair, just running HQR :)

Found some typos & other minor deficiencies, and have updated the Market Boards, Quest Book 1 & the "Parry" Skill Card.

Edit: And the rule book was updated too!

Rewards:
slev

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » August 9th, 2016, 9:17 am

I find your set of Heroquest cards pretty devastating frustrating. They just rob my entire willingness to do my own card set!

Maybe I will just reuse your card set, except for the monsters as I have already my own set of monsters finished.
Thanks for this great work!

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Rules