• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

HQ+ Spells

Discuss new Rules for HeroQuest.

Re: HQ+ Spells

Postby MadMickyG » March 17th, 2016, 3:05 am

I have 6 of each of the 4 elemental spells.
This is my current spell list:

Fire - Fire of Wrath, Ball of Flame, Courage, Fire Lance, Firestorm, Wall of Fire.
Water - Water of Healing, Sleep, Veil of Mist, Ice Armour, Cleansing Rain, Mirror Image.
Air - Tempest, Swift Wind, Genie, Teleport, Summon Ally, Invisibility.
Earth - Heal Body, Pass Through Rock, Rock Skin, Harden Weapon, Arm Shield, Critical Power.

The extra spells are partly for the Battle Mage, but may use combos to increase the spells that can be cast.
I should put my other spell cards into a PDF and post it, or give people access.
Have another set of spell cards to make, although missing a Water card.
Thinking of adding spell levels, such as 3 MP for lvl 1. So dwarf could use magic, but they dont other than crafting.
An idea anyway, differing from Golds spell level method. Then have a few spells at each level

Might make an Summon Elemental card for each element as well, as the eBay stuff I am waiting on has plenty of damaged miniatures for crafting. I should be able to heat up and work them into something resembling each element.
Will try anyway.

Will make soloing with Wizard interesting. Maybe some fun as an elemental player when the kids dont want to play. :lol:
Check out my dabblings in writing.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Madhouse ... 4179561807
Feel free to let me know what you think. All comments/criticisms welcome.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
MadMickyG

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Gold Bearer » March 17th, 2016, 9:32 am

Fire Lance sounds cool.

Some of those combined spell descriptions could do with a rewording to neaten them up a bit. I also need to come up with a new name for flamestorm because that name is used for a bright spell. I think I'll rename the bright one to Aqshy's Flamestorm.

I'm still not entirely happy with the effects of the three spell ones. I thought before about fire = powerful attack, air = attack + tempest, water = attack + sleep, but I can't think of one for earth. Maybe quake could allow the caster to place pit tiles in a room or corridor, automatically causing 1BP damage.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Count Mohawk » March 17th, 2016, 10:49 am

Gold Bearer wrote:I'm still not entirely happy with the effects of the three spell ones. I thought before about fire = powerful attack, air = attack + tempest, water = attack + sleep, but I can't think of one for earth. Maybe quake could allow the caster to place pit tiles in a room or corridor, automatically causing 1BP damage.

There's definitely precedent for a line of pit traps being generated by a spell - check the Storm Master spell Earthquake. I have a variation which allows the pits to also break through walls if there's not enough space to place the full tile otherwise.
I can't say I know how to differentiate the other three well enough, though. I was going to suggest making fully-merged Water be an area-of-effect heal (+4 Body to all Heroes, for example), but you've already got that design space filled with Healing Mist.

Regeneration (Heal Body + Rock Skin), by the way, is weaker than Heal Body on average. The average expected outcome is for the enchanted Hero to recover two Body Points across about 6 turns. If you gave a heal on the roll of a skull, you could expect 3 BP instead, or 5 BP if you healed on any roll except for a Black Shield.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Marquis of Math
Count Mohawk

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » March 17th, 2016, 11:08 am

Count Mohawk wrote:
Gold Bearer wrote:I'm still not entirely happy with the effects of the three spell ones. I thought before about fire = powerful attack, air = attack + tempest, water = attack + sleep, but I can't think of one for earth. Maybe quake could allow the caster to place pit tiles in a room or corridor, automatically causing 1BP damage.
There's definitely precedent for a line of pit traps being generated by a spell - check the Storm Master spell Earthquake.
That's where I got the idea.

Count Mohawk wrote:I have a variation which allows the pits to also break through walls if there's not enough space to place the full tile otherwise.
That's actually the standard rule. :) That's what the breached wall tiles in WoM are for. ;)

Count Mohawk wrote:Regeneration (Heal Body + Rock Skin), by the way, is weaker than Heal Body on average. The average expected outcome is for the enchanted Hero to recover two Body Points across about 6 turns. If you gave a heal on the roll of a skull, you could expect 3 BP instead, or 5 BP if you healed on any roll except for a Black Shield.
It's worse than that. Averages one with white shields, 1.5 with skulls. I obviously didn't think properly when I did that one. I'll review them all later. For regen, heal 1BP on a white shield, 1MP on a black shield and lasts until the target looses a BP or MP would be good.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby MadMickyG » March 17th, 2016, 6:05 pm

I know I've posted a link to the spell cards somewhere.

Will find and put in here, so you can see the effect.
My son uses the new spells to mainly buff his Battlemage and charge in to the melee.
I want spells that can allow a Wizard to do better overall, or at least not have to rely on other party members, especially with the monster hoard I have.

Have some caster artefacts I am making, as I have 5 more artefact cards.
Making some "Set items" that can add a bonus if you have all three.
Currently only set is Borins gear, Armour, Sword and now a Shield. Not sure about the bonus yet, but wont be anything major, but enough to make it worthwhile having all 3.

Now I better get back to work. ;)

EDIT: Here is the link. Still active.

http://www.pdf-archive.com/2015/02/20/spell-cards/
Check out my dabblings in writing.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Madhouse ... 4179561807
Feel free to let me know what you think. All comments/criticisms welcome.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
MadMickyG

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » March 19th, 2016, 2:43 pm

Updated the combined spells. Various fixes and clarifications. They're designed for the EU spells. Some of the US effects may be too weak or too strong, for example spells that put multiple targets to sleep become much stronger if sleeping targets can't defend so you might want to make a few alteration if you use the US versions but that's your own fault for not playing with the proper rules. :)

Rewards:
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Previous

Return to Rules