• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

A more interactive HQ

Discuss new Rules for HeroQuest.

Re: A more interactive HQ

Postby Gold Bearer » October 12th, 2014, 2:30 pm

mitchiemasha wrote:So when a quest starts is that played in 1 night or can 1 last a longer time? Only times i can't make free are weekends. I work late and spend the rest of the day dying! Normally very nocturnal through the week so don't want to disrupt flow.
It's slow moving, like an ongoing chess game that some people play, but the good thing is you only have to spend a couple of minutes on it at a time, so you haven't got to worry too much about fitting it in or have the trouble of getting everyone together at the same time or anything like that.

Gold Bearer wrote:I have another suggestion. I don't think the amazon should be able to use her skill with ranged attacks. A crossbow will make her vertually untouchable.
Actually I think her ability shouldn't work for searching either, just melee attacks, that's a really good skill. Sorry Jason. |_P
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Sotiris » October 12th, 2014, 3:33 pm

Gold Bearer wrote:Actually I think her ability shouldn't work for searching either, just melee attacks, that's a really good skill.

No other changes unless we play.

mitchiemasha wrote:..Only times i can't make free are weekends. I work late and spend the rest of the day dying! Normally very nocturnal through the week so don't want to disrupt flow.

No problem, there's no time pressure at our gaming (i had once a time penalty but i removed it). Everyone plays when his free time allows it and we all respect that.
So choose a hero (from the upgraded template of page 6)!
After you it's Road Warrior's turn to choose.
My new unpublished boardgame on Tabletopia free platform:
https://tabletopia.com/games/stellar_omega

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Sotiris

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: Ελληνικά
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby chaoticprime » October 12th, 2014, 9:47 pm

You have a good head for this kind of thing, but I think you should reconsider the special abilities of the characters a bit. You do not seem to weigh BP very highly against abilities, or the ability to equip weapons. The Barbarian doesn't need that extra attack die, as he already has that. And the powers are too combat-based. Especially the holy water. Nowhere in the game is it clearly defined what constitutes an undead. We know the Witch Lord is, because he was dead and then he wasn't--that's the very definition of undead, "dead but alive." These heroes are really very strong, and have options that essentially preclude avenues of combat options that don't involve their special abilities. Such abilities should not come into use all that regularly, otherwise the player simply drives a mechanism around. Heroquest is a slow game that is designed entirely around resource management. Its about making Body Points last the whole way.

A good example of what I'm saying is my Thief character who has the ability that he cannot be attacked unless he is the only available Hero a monster can reach. That sounds really powerful, until you play the Thief. You have to work to keep that advantage, because the moment you don't have it you get laid the fraggle out. My sister-in-law usually plays a thief, and she usually gets killed by traps out of her complacency.

If you really look at the Ranger, he basically gets 5 free uses of Fires of Wrath. You basically get an Elf with more spells and more BP. There is a reason the game makes you pay 25 gp each time you want to throw a dagger.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » October 13th, 2014, 3:07 am

chaoticprime wrote:The Barbarian doesn't need that extra attack die, as he already has that.
He has that to start with, this way he only needs to spend 250gp to attack with four and he can go up to five attack dice with a battleaxe.

chaoticprime wrote:Nowhere in the game is it clearly defined what constitutes an undead. We know the Witch Lord is, because he was dead and then he wasn't--that's the very definition of undead, "dead but alive."
The spirit blade defines undead as skeletons, zombies and mummies, not the witch lord.

chaoticprime wrote:These heroes are really very strong, and have options that essentially preclude avenues of combat options that don't involve their special abilities. Such abilities should not come into use all that regularly, otherwise the player simply drives a mechanism around.
That's just as true without special abilities, and without them all the players drive the same mechanism around.

chaoticprime wrote:A good example of what I'm saying is my Thief character who has the ability that he cannot be attacked unless he is the only available Hero a monster can reach.
Why?

chaoticprime wrote:If you really look at the Ranger, he basically gets 5 free uses of Fires of Wrath. You basically get an Elf with more spells and more BP.
Fire of wraith is an automatic skull so it's twice as good. The ranger's changed now anyway. The updated charaters are on page six.

chaoticprime wrote:There is a reason the game makes you pay 25 gp each time you want to throw a dagger.
25gp is really overpriced for a one use, one combat dice ranged attack.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby mitchiemasha » October 13th, 2014, 4:36 am

Ok, I'm going with the Mercenary. I was just about to pick the cleric but wasn't happy being a dwarf. I liked the idea of having a balanced character but with those holy waters to heal. Instead i'll go with those 3 defense rolls. looks like i'll be constantly in the thick of it.

Am i right in thinking the barbarian is 2 normal attack the +1 mentioned at the bottom is not added to the 3. Hence the +1 on the card in the attack box?

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby The Road Warrior » October 13th, 2014, 6:20 am

So currently the group is:
  • Barbarian
  • Amazon
  • Mercenary

It looks like I should probably take either the Druid, Cleric or Wizard for their healing abilities.

I think the Cleric is the most appealing as he has no weapon restrictions. I'm assuming we will be using the NA Armoury and I'm not keen on being stuck with a 1 combat die staff!
Do you all think we can get by with just the extra 5BP/holy water?

If not I should probably take the Wizard with Earth, Water and Fire. That gives us 8BP in the bank for emergencies (and a couple of attacking spells for me :) ). The wizard would be more appealing if the Bolt attack was just a standard (magical) 1 combat die ranged attack skill.

I think the Druid is interesting. Am I reading this right? The animal I turn into can be anything of my choosing as really it's irrelevant. The real ability here is to add one die to any one of my die rolls for one turn? (+ he can take one spell set). Considering the heroes you have all chosen I think this would be the worst choice here but could we cope with just one healing spell?
Join in the community project.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
The Road Warrior

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Gold Bearer » October 13th, 2014, 6:33 am

mitchiemasha wrote:Ok, I'm going with the Mercenary. I was just about to pick the cleric but wasn't happy being a dwarf.
Racist! :D

mitchiemasha wrote:Am i right in thinking the barbarian is 2 normal attack the +1 mentioned at the bottom is not added to the 3. Hence the +1 on the card in the attack box?
Yea, shortsword + skill = 3.

The Road Warrior wrote:So currently the group is:
  • Barbarian
  • Amazon
  • Mercenary

It looks like I should probably take either the Druid, Cleric or Wizard for their healing abilities.

I think the Cleric is the most appealing as he has no weapon restrictions. I'm assuming we will be using the NA Armoury and I'm not keen on being stuck with a 1 combat die staff!
Do you all think we can get by with just the extra 5BP/holy water?

If not I should probably take the Wizard with Earth, Water and Fire. That gives us 8BP in the bank for emergencies (and a couple of attacking spells for me :) ). The wizard would be more appealing if the Bolt attack was just a standard (magical) 1 combat die ranged attack skill.

I think the Druid is interesting. Am I reading this right? The animal I turn into can be anything of my choosing as really it's irrelevant. The real ability here is to add one die to any one of my die rolls for one turn? (+ he can take one spell set). Considering the heroes you have all chosen I think this would be the worst choice here but could we cope with just one healing spell?
The cleric can only heal himself but we've got lots of BP. The druid can use more than one token at a time, so you could attack with six dice if you wanted to.

Rewards:
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Gold Bearer » October 13th, 2014, 7:47 am

The Road Warrior wrote:I think the Druid is interesting. Am I reading this right? The animal I turn into can be anything of my choosing as really it's irrelevant.
I still think more could be made of this. Maybe he could stay in animal form for more than one turn and the animals should be mosquito, penguin, elephant, T-rex, blue whale. I wanna be the druid.

Rewards:
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby The Road Warrior » October 13th, 2014, 7:51 am

Gold Bearer wrote:The cleric can only heal himself but we've got lots of BP.

Really? That's not stated on the card.
...Holy Water Vials. Each one removes 1 undead Body point or restores 1 hero Body point.

The original heroes started with 25 + 8 BP.

If I go with the Cleric we have 29 + 5BP. If everyone else is happy with this, then that's my choice.
Join in the community project.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
The Road Warrior

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Gold Bearer » October 13th, 2014, 8:30 am

You might be right. The cleric is definitely the best (as in most effective) character I think, even if he can only heal himself.

Rewards:
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to Rules