• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Darkness

Discuss new Rules for HeroQuest.

Re: Darkness

Postby Guybrush Threepwood » May 29th, 2014, 2:23 pm

I'm looking forward to do a second playtest of the darkness rule together with the new enhanced monster chart this weekend. :skull: :whiteshield: :blackshield:
Guybrush Threepwood

Fimir
Fimir

Forum Language: Deutsch
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Redav » May 29th, 2014, 11:00 pm

Big Bene wrote:In reality, a shield requires some effort and dexterity to handle and a person would normally drop a torch hold in the same hand at start of a meele combat, or, more probable, leave it to the companions who carry only a single weapon anyway. Game-wise, in the original rules, a shield always counts as a second weapon, "using up" one hand to hold.

I get that. I was talking about a character who is carrying a shield in one hand and a torch in the other. My rules (currently) only allow changing weapons during your turn and lists a penalty for being caught with a torch and shield equipped but no weapon. I'm thinking of changing this to only if you're ambushed.

Realistically, most adventurers would be walking around with a weapon held. It probably wouldn't be common for a person to have a shield and torch equipped. If anything, it might be a situation where it's the weakling mage who has a torch while carrying a staff (two handed) so probably couldn't defend without simply throwing the torch away.
Campaign Status
EU Group: Kellar's Keep - The Dwarven Forge
NA Group: The Gathering Storm - Barak Tor - Barrow of the Witch Lord

Project's Status
Rules: House Rules and Clarifications are open for discussion
Campaigns: Thinking
Alternate Mini's: Planning and acquiring
Painting: I've started painting... :o

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Redav

Storm Master
Storm Master

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » May 30th, 2014, 8:27 am

Big Bene wrote:
Gold Bearer wrote:Can your monsters see in the dark?

I'd say yes, for two reasons -
First, in terms of in-game realism; as long as the heroes carry the light sources or stay in contact with friends that do so (which will be the case most often), everybody in the dark will definitely see them, more prominentely even than under "normal" conditions.
Second, and most important in terms of real world practicability: the GM knows the whereabouts of both monsters and heroes and making the mosters act as if they could not see the heroes (or each other) would mean a great deal of thinking agaist his own interests.
It's also not illogical that most monsters have a better night vision than heroes and that monsters that live in a dungeon where the corridors are left dark are used to this condition.
Yea I was thinking that if the light goes out then certain monsters like night goblins and skavin should be able to attack in the dark. If you're using just the standard monsters then goblins. Maybe all undead should be able to see in the dark as well since they don't 'see' in the traditional sense. If their touches are lit I think all monsters should be activated as soon as they have a line of sight.

I think a torch should be able to attack with one dice, two against mummies.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby gootchute » May 30th, 2014, 8:57 am

How about a little more abstract of a rule (inspired by Torchbearer).

Rather than counting squares, just simply say the hero holding the light source and a number of miniatures in his LOS are considered illuminated (see below). Being illuminated has no effect on the game rules other than Illuminated miniatures may not cast or shoot at miniatures in darkness. Not being illuminated triggers the darkness condition, in which the hero rolls half their normal attack and defense dice (round down) and may not search for anything (dwarfs can see in the dark so they round up). Miniatures in the darkness may still shoot and cast at illuminated miniatures without penalty.

Candles illuminate the bearer only, torches illuminate the bearer and the 3 closest miniatures, lanterns illuminate every miniature in sight of the bearer. In this way the enemy could tactically swarm the Torchbearer and block out the light for other heroes... maybe this is a dumb rule which makes no logical sense, but thematically you could say it is the evil one's will enacted by his minions.

The downside is a torch reaches all the way down the longest corridor most of the time, so suspension of belief needed.
•==(Broadsword>

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
gootchute

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby TMU » June 3rd, 2014, 5:43 pm

Honestly, I think that the game is in need of new rules as soon as you have played it trough a couple of times. Making the dungeons dark and kinda blurred is a great idea. It has been covered some times here, so every one can pick that wich suits their houserules the best. :) New perspectives to the subject are always welcome. |_P
"There is no greater danger than playing it safe."

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Second Lieutenant
TMU

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Previous

Return to Rules