• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Ambushing

Discuss new Rules for HeroQuest.

Ambushing

Postby Redav » May 25th, 2014, 5:09 pm

I've been thinking about including an ambush rule. I'm also unsure whether to allow heroes to ambush because the rules etc are kinda stacked in their favour. The rule would be to introduce surprise into the exploration of the map.

Ambushing - Monster
An unrevealed monster may ambush a hero if the hero walks past a corner and the monster is placed adjacent to the hero. The ambushing monster attacks immediately and unless the hero approached the corner while searching, they defend with one less combat die. If a hero stops their movement immediately before a corner and there is an unrevealed monster diagonally around the corner, the monster may immediately move to be adjacent and ambush the hero. A heroes turn ends after being ambushed

If I were to allow heroes to ambush, this might be the mechanic;

Ambushing - Hero
A hero may ambush a monster by waiting behind a corner for a turn without using an action. The hero attacks immediately but the monster doesn't receive a defence penalty. The monsters turn continues after being ambushed.

The benefit is for the hero to be able to retard their attack to allow them to attack in defence without giving the heroes to great and advantage.

Thoughts?
Last edited by Redav on May 30th, 2014, 7:23 am, edited 7 times in total.
Campaign Status
EU Group: Kellar's Keep - The Dwarven Forge
NA Group: The Gathering Storm - Barak Tor - Barrow of the Witch Lord

Project's Status
Rules: House Rules and Clarifications are open for discussion
Campaigns: Thinking
Alternate Mini's: Planning and acquiring
Painting: I've started painting... :o

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Redav

Storm Master
Storm Master

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Ambushing

Postby Goblin-King » May 25th, 2014, 5:28 pm

I'd think the easiest way to implement ambushes would just be to place "monster traps". Simply a square that triggers a monster that is placed and attacks immediately, ending the hero's turn.
If I recall correctly this is actually already included in the original rules in some expansion.

Either that or just through the quest notes.
A.) When this room is first discovered the hero's turn is ended and all monsters in the room immediately gets a free turn.

No need to invent special rules if it can be handled with existing rules :2cents:

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Teldurn » May 25th, 2014, 9:37 pm

Goblin-King wrote:I'd think the easiest way to implement ambushes would just be to place "monster traps". Simply a square that triggers a monster that is placed and attacks immediately, ending the hero's turn.
If I recall correctly this is actually already included in the original rules in some expansion.

Either that or just through the quest notes.
A.) When this room is first discovered the hero's turn is ended and all monsters in the room immediately gets a free turn.

No need to invent special rules if it can be handled with existing rules :2cents:

This, yes. I prefer the first method myself.
War is not the answer...unless the question is, 'What is not the answer?'

Check out Broadsword, a love letter to 90s dungeon crawling board games.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Destroyed a Zombie!Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Teldurn

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Redav » May 26th, 2014, 2:20 am

Goblin-King wrote:If I recall correctly this is actually already included in the original rules in some expansion.

Ah, okay. This I didn't realise. I have only played the EU and NA original and read the EU KK, RotWL, AtOH. I guess I should probably read through the rest and see what other goodies exist :oops:

Goblin-King wrote:Either that or just through the quest notes.

I do like this and I'd imagine that I would do this however this rule was primarily aimed at corridor ambushes. That's brings up the point that I should be a touch clearer in it's implementation. I'd already elaborated / corrected some text in there since you'd read it.

Goblin-King wrote:No need to invent special rules if it can be handled with existing rules :2cents:

Agreed. Over ruling can create ambiguity, something HQ already suffers enough from :lol:
Campaign Status

Project's Status

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Redav

Storm Master
Storm Master

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » May 27th, 2014, 5:54 pm

I believe GoblinKing was referring to this rule from the EQP and BQP:

While on the subject, I'd like to mention a house rule of my own I was thinking of implementing for special rooms/corridors or certain monsters: "When a Hero moves adjacent to attack a monster, it may make a special attack first if the Hero's movement roll is less than the monster's movement score."
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Redav » May 27th, 2014, 10:01 pm

Daedalus wrote:I believe GoblinKing was referring to this rule from the EQP and BQP:

Rido, cheers. Guess it achieves a similar thing in a different way. One thing against it is that it's limited to the listed monster(s) whereas I could simply put whatever monster I wanted in an ambushing position. Now for something that could sound maddening, I think both rules could exist in the same game because I like the idea of being ambushed by more than one monster with a trap tile.

Daedalus wrote:While on the subjuct, I'd like to mention a house rule of my own I was thinking of implementing for special rooms/corridors or certain monsters: "When a Hero moves adjacent to attack a monster, it may make a special attack first if the Hero's movement roll is less than the monster's movement score."

Neat, I like that. That's a good way of identifying who has the element of surprise.
Campaign Status

Project's Status

Rewards:
Redav

Storm Master
Storm Master

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Redav » May 30th, 2014, 7:35 am

Daedalus wrote:While on the subjuct, I'd like to mention a house rule of my own I was thinking of implementing for special rooms/corridors or certain monsters: "When a Hero moves adjacent to attack a monster, it may make a special attack first if the Hero's movement roll is less than the monster's movement score."

I like your idea and it got me thinking. My rules have a provision for heroes charging so I'm going to allow monsters to ambush only if a hero isn't charging.
Campaign Status

Project's Status

Rewards:
Redav

Storm Master
Storm Master

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » June 1st, 2014, 3:19 pm

Sounds like charging meshes nicely with the surprise idea.

You make a good point that the Wandering Monster trap is limited to just the Wandering Monster of the Quest. A possible solution would be to use the Wandering Monster trap icon and include in the Quest notes for the ambush room that certain specified monsters appear instead of the Wandering Monster(s) of that Quest.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Redav » June 2nd, 2014, 4:50 pm

Daedalus wrote:Sounds like charging meshes nicely with the surprise idea

That's the hope. I still haven't play tested that. Once we've finished the original quest book, I might get them to pick their favourite quest and test some of these rules. I probably won't play my house rules with the original quests (at least certainly not first time through). They're (slowly) being developed for my own future quests.

Daedalus wrote:A possible solution would be to use the Wandering Monster trap icon and include in the Quest notes for the ambush room that certain specified monsters appear instead of the Wandering Monster(s) of that Quest.

Yes, I'd control ambush rooms through the quest notes. I was mainly interested in adding some excitement to the corridor exploration.
Campaign Status

Project's Status

Rewards:
Redav

Storm Master
Storm Master

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Return to Rules