• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Simple Upgrades For The Original Heroes + Some New Artefacts

Discuss new Rules for HeroQuest.

Re: Simple Upgrades For The Original Heroes + Some New Artef

Postby Teldurn » August 13th, 2014, 5:40 pm

I took a little inspiration from this post about spell combinations and put together this WIP chart. You can leave comments on other combinations you come up with. The one restriction I placed is that you can't combine two or more spells from the same school, to keep things simpler.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
War is not the answer...unless the question is, 'What is not the answer?'

Check out Broadsword, a love letter to 90s dungeon crawling board games.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Destroyed a Zombie!Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Teldurn

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Gold Bearer » August 18th, 2014, 4:48 am

Fire

Inferno - Ball Of Flame + Fire Of Wrath + Courage
Attacks in the same way as Fire Of Wraith and Ball Of Flame using three dice on everyone in any room or corridor on the board, attack twice for targets vulnerable to fire.

Incineration - Ball Of Flame + Fire Of Wrath
Attacks in the same way as Fire Of Wrath and Ball Of Flame but with four combat dice against a target in sight or with two combat dice against any target on the board. Attacks with an extra combat dice against targets that are vulnerable to fire.

Fearlessness - Ball Of Flame + Courage
The target attacks with four extra combat dice on in melee on their next turn.

Bravery - Fire Of Wrath + Courage
Allows all allies in the same room or corridor to attack with two extra combat dice in melee until the end of the casters next turn.

Air

Typhoon - Tempest + Genie + Swift Wind
Attacks in the same way as Fire Of Wraith and Ball Of Flame using two dice on everyone in any room or corridor on the board and causes them to miss a turn.

Tornado - Tempest + Genie
Can be cast on any room or corridor on the board causing all targets to roll a combat dice. On a skull they lose one body point of damage and on a black shield they lose one body point of damage and miss their next turn.

Wind Storm - Tempest + Swift Wind
Casts Tempest on all enemies in the same room or corridor.

Tail Wind - Genie + Swift Wind
All allies in any one room or corridor on the board can move twice.

Water

Monsoon - Sleep + Vail Of Mist + Water Of Healing
Attacks in the same way as Fire Of Wraith and Ball Of Flame using one dice on everyone in any room or corridor on the board and causes them to miss two turns.

Sedating Mist - Sleep + Vail Of Mist
Casts sleep separately on all enemies on the same room or corridor.

Rejuvenation - Sleep + Water Of Healing
Heals four body points and four mind points and can take the target above their normal maximum but they miss their next turn.

Healing Mist - Vail Of Mist + Water Of Healing
Heals two body points and two mind points of all allies in the same room or corridor.

Earth

Quake - Pass Through Rock + Rock Skin + Heal Body
Causes everyone in any room or corridor on the board to miss three turns.

Ethereal - Pass Through Rock + Rock Skin
Makes the target ethereal until the beginning of your next turn.

Mineral Soothe - Pass Through Rock + Heal Body
The target heals one body point and one mind point each time the they pass through stone on their next turn or on this turn if the target is the caster.

Regeneration - Rock Skin + Heal Body
The target immediately rolls a combat dice and again at the start of each of their turns for as long as the spell lasts. If they roll a white shield the heal a lost body of damage and if they roll a black shield the spell wears off.

Fire + Air

Flame Storm - Ball Of Flame + Tempest
Casts Ball Of Flame on all targets except the caster in the same room or corridor. Attacks with an extra combat dice against targets that are vulnerable to fire.

Backdraft - Fire Of Wraith + Swift Wind
Fills any room or corridor on the board with intense flames causing a Fire Of Wraith attack on everybody individually, attack twice for targets vulnerable to fire.

Djinn - Courage + Genie
Attacks any target on the board with seven combat dice.

Fire + Water

Fire Spray - Ball Of Flame + Vail Of Mist
Fills any room or corridor in sight with flaming hot liquid vapour causing a Ball Of Flame attack on everybody individually, attack twice for targets vulnerable to fire.

Entrance - Fire Of Wrath + Sleep
Automatically casts sleep on a target that follows the normal rules while the target is asleep except that they roll at the end of their turn.

Invigoration - Courage + Water Of Healing
Heals four body points and can take the target above their normal maximum.

Fire + Earth

Seeking Flame - Ball Of Flame + Pass Through Rock
Attacks any target on the board in the same way as Ball Of Flame but with three combat dice or four combat dice against targets that are vulnerable to fire.

Phoenix Fire - Fire Of Wrath + Heal Body
Can revive a dead ally in the same room or corridor bringing them back on three body points.

Empowerment - Courage + Rock Skin
Raises A and D by three each until the end of the targets next turn.

Air + Water

Lightning Storm - Tempest + Vail Of Mist
All enemies in the same room or corridor roll a combat dice. On a skull they lose one body point of damage and on a black shield they lose two.

Lullaby - Genie + Sleep
Cast Sleep individually on everybody in any room or corridor on the board.

Gust Of Healing - Swift Wind + Water Of Healing
Heals three body points and three mind points of all targets in the same room or corridor.

Air + Earth

Cyclone - Tempest + Pass Through Rock
Cast Tempest on everybody in any room or corridor on the board.

Rock Blast - Genie + Rock Skin
Can be used to destroy a piece of wall to create an opening. Use a breached wall tile if the room is used or a secret door tile to create an alcove if the room is solid rock.

Soothing Breeze - Swift Wind + Heal Body
Heals four body points of all targets in the same room or corridor.

Water + Earth

Petrify - Sleep + Rock Skin
Turns the target to stone. Petrified targets can't be harmed and have to roll under the mind point value at the end of their turn to free themselves.

Dust Storm - Vail Of Mist + Pass Through Rock
No ranged attacks (including spells that need line of sight) can be used in the same room or corridor until the beginning of the casters next turn.

Restoration - Water Of Healing + Heal Body
Fully restores BP and MP.

They could have to figure out the combinations themselves through trail and error. If they use an invalid combination they lose both spells but they can choose one to cast, or both if the caster's got the wand of recall.
Last edited by Gold Bearer on September 12th, 2014, 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » August 19th, 2014, 9:33 pm

Will be adding these to what i'm working on... Spell combining... Good plan!!!

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » September 12th, 2014, 4:39 pm

Cheers, help yourself. I've upgraded mineral soothe because you never know how many dice your going to roll for movement and in my house rules the isn't even any random movement, I don't like it.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby mitchiemasha » September 14th, 2014, 12:30 am

Random movement! I'm other sided and not a fan of fixed movement.

Not knowing how far you can and can't move adds excitement but get that some people don't see it as realistic. I See it as how well your character got it's footing.

Rewards:
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » September 14th, 2014, 5:02 am

mitchiemasha wrote:Random movement! I'm other sided and not a fan of fixed movement.

Not knowing how far you can and can't move adds excitement but get that some people don't see it as realistic. I See it as how well your character got it's footing.

I concur. When I started to write houserules, I partially fixed Hero movement to 1d6+4. After two quests, however, I threw the realism therein aside and went back to full movement rolling. It is more fun.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Gold Bearer » September 14th, 2014, 5:48 pm

It's optional. I'd done a simple conversion for random movement. M1 = lowest of three dice, M2 = lowest of two dice, M4 = one dice, M6 = highest of two dice, M8 = two dice, M10 = highest two of three dice, M12 = three dice.

knightkrawler wrote:When I started to write houserules, I partially fixed Hero movement to 1d6+4.
I like that, I might do another conversion option like that.

Rewards:
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby mitchiemasha » September 15th, 2014, 8:29 pm

This is a lil segment of my house rules 'A Hero's Quest Spiced Edition' that i'm working on. I keep changing my mind on the specifics of each 1 though.

Minimum Movement Stat
Each character has a minimum Movement Stat (MS), Dwarf 4, Barbarian 5, Elf 6 and Wizard 5. A value rolled lower than your movement stat is ignored unless it’s a double then the Hero gets a choice.

Rolling Doubles Creates Effect
Double 1 Trip! Move upto 2 and trip, DM rolls as if attacking 1CD, Hero rolls normal defense if needed.
Double 2 Stand Fast! Move your MS or Stand fast, don't move and get 2 attacks.
Double 3 Distraction! A glimmer in the crack of the wall distracts you!
ignore it and move your MS or Investigate it, move upto 3 and pick from the Treasure deck.
Double 4 Excellent footing! Move - attack - move. Move upto 4 - attack - move upto 4
Double 5 Charge! Move your MS in 1 direction and get an extra attack die bonus or move upto 10*.
Double 6 Too Fast! Move more than your MS and lose the ability to attack.

Rule Reason.
I prefer 'roll to move' over 'fixed movement point' mechanics as knowing how much you can move can be boring. Rolling doubles always seems exciting but in HQ nothing reflects that emotion, these add on rules change this. They reflect more how natural circumstances roaming the wild or a dungeon might influence how fast you can progress. Rolling a high number signifies excellent footing as you advance but not too fast, you might trip! A low number reflects poor footing, limiting your progression that turn. Imagine the heroes charging forward in say 'lord of the rings' in 1 of those panned out scenes, as they scurry forward across unknown terrain, footing matters.

*still working on this 1

To keep the game balanced I've made double 1 and double 6 not such a good thing. I'm still not sure on the double 6 as i love rolling double 6 but in this rule it makes it only useful if running away! I've tried to tie in the dice rolls to the extra effect, like your sacrificing the other dice for the effect or there's a logical connection. I had problems with Double 3 but decided this, the dwarf is a slow mover anyway so more likely to see these items, only sacrificing 1 movement point to claim the prize, where as a faster natural mover might not notice as much so would be sacrificing more to activate search. Originally it was a dice roll on a treasure table but using the treasure deck will balance the game a bit. You're potential sacrificing 3 movement points to quickly crab what you've seen, whilst moving the other 3.

I was also thinking of doing a special item that gives you 'Quick Feet' (names needed). Giving the Hero the ability to move 1 dice roll value, Attack, then move the other dice roll value. As there's 2 dice it makes sense to have an option to split up the results bringing more possibility to the game, from what is already in the game.

Rewards:
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » September 15th, 2014, 10:17 pm

oh and just to add, i've included spell combining in the document. All in a nice table.

Rewards:
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » September 16th, 2014, 2:02 am

Great idea! :)

Rewards:
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to Rules