• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

New Advancement System "Heroes to Champions"

Discuss new Rules for HeroQuest.

New Advancement System "Heroes to Champions"

Postby Dark Fire Jade » March 11th, 2014, 1:17 am

This is my idea for an advancement system that I use for when I play that I think is not too complicated and not too lengthy to advance if you only get to play once inawhile to feel like your getting stronger.

Going to call it it the Heroes to Champions Advancement System so I can sound more proper in making it sound offical lol |_P

Anyway here is the break down for calculating xp or experience add the 4 major stats of the monster body mind attack and defense then divide by 2 if you have a remainder round down for regular monsters and round up for special ie monsters with more importance say the guardian of flamarg's tomb or the stone warriors and bosses and mini bosses verag, gark, and ulag and so on.

So examples

ex 1) a goblin a/attack 2 d/defense 1 b/body 1 m/mind 1 so 5 all together then divide by 2 is 2.5 but its a regular so 2xp per kill

ex 2) chaos warrior a4 d4 b3 m3 = 14 / 2 so 7xp per kill

ex 3) stone warrior basically the chaos warrior that had extra defense from a quest a4 d5 b3 m3 = 15 / 2 so 7.5 so its special make him give 8xp per kill

NOTE!!! see 2nd post for undead rule it will be after the 3 :greenorb: and will end with 3 :greenorb: as well for those who want to find it quickly forgot to type this first time around this line was an edit.

Also I have two modes of play with my friends easy/normal or hard/every man for him self basically easy all heroes get same amount of xp no matter who kills the monster/foe as long as they are alive and not dead or unconsicous/ko being under a spell as sleep or something is ok tho. the hard way is only the hero who makes the kill gets the xp. Or you can go with option 3 all who contribute in foe's demise gets xp or splits it.

So thats part I will be adding the leveling up system on next post need a break from typing let me know if you have any feed back yet.
Last edited by Dark Fire Jade on March 11th, 2014, 3:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
There is sorrow behind those wintery eyes.... But with the Storm comes lighting and thunder bringing light and fear to those who cause trouble within the storm.

Projects Currently working on HQIII story arc idea, assasin's creed packs, advancement system "from heroes to champions" I and II are up part III coming soon, Tales of a Jester/ Loki Quest Pack and much more pm me for more info or search for my topics and posts! |_P
Dark Fire Jade

Skeleton
Skeleton

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: New Advancement System "Heroes to Champions"

Postby Dark Fire Jade » March 11th, 2014, 3:38 am

Okay part II the leveling up system Ive designed first off the progression of the heroes stats each level up all basic stats go up by 1 this is body attack defense and mind.

Movement stays the same at two red dice or 7 square as a good number i use for non rolled movement i think is fair.

generally attack is only based on the weapon it seems at first so i start all heroes at one for attack thus making attack a little easier ex) a dagger awith a level one char would be 2 instead of the normal 1 thus making the wizard a bit better at survival when out of spells or wanting to conserve them so basically on all weapons what attack it states would be added to your current strength/ attack.

defense is basiacall set at 2 for all heroes except if they started with addition armor or abilities and so thats what i went with.

body and mind start off depending on what character you start as and progress from there.

now how the points determine your level I did what i think is a simple formula your level time 100 will be how many points needed to level up

ex) lv 1 you need 100 points to reach lv 2

now then from there you lv 2 x 100 is 200 points to level 3 this is added to what you needed before so a total of 300 xp from begining so to confirm im explaining this right say you are at 115 xp you will be a lv 2 hero and need 185 more to hit lv 3

i have all the calculations done but hand written so when i get them typed up i shall post it in excel format and word format I have done levels 1 to 100 level 99 to 100 was changed to round out the final total just as a heads up so any of those who want to know the last levels here is the last 3 levels

lv 98 = at total of 485100 xp from begining
lv 99 = at total of 495000 xp from begining
lv100 = at total of 500000 xp from begining

wanted to make the last strech easier and make it a number with zeros lol so 5000 from 99 to 100 verus it being 10000 xp to get to 100 also if you are wanting to use this level up system and what I plan to go off of for my rules at lv 50 i cap the heroes until that can complete "the trail of the gods" its a quest pack i am annoucing that i have ideas for to allow the heroes to become gods once completed get to pick a godly power or create one this is the dm's decision and also gifted a ring of the gods that allows them to manipulate time to replay previous quests they have completed in order to help new characters and friends or to re roll any dice twice per quest. after they have aquired god stats may continue to earn xp and go through lv 51 to 100.

:greenorb: :greenorb: :greenorb:
as for monster and foes i leave it to dm's choice to when monsters lv up to keep it challenging for the heroes or to give them a break if they have had it to rough like heroes i just increase the stats by 1 each lv one note for undead that has the mind of 0 i do start them off at 1 and increase it each lv just so they dont fall behind just for xp calculating but their stats for heroes knowledge its 0 and uneffected by the spells that target mind as normal.
:greenorb: :greenorb: :greenorb:

there is more to my advanceement system part III i will share my qp system "quest point" which i use for class/job advancement and learning skills and abilities and magic so keep and eye out for more... and for now cheers my friends and comrades! |_P
There is sorrow behind those wintery eyes.... But with the Storm comes lighting and thunder bringing light and fear to those who cause trouble within the storm.

Projects Currently working on HQIII story arc idea, assasin's creed packs, advancement system "from heroes to champions" I and II are up part III coming soon, Tales of a Jester/ Loki Quest Pack and much more pm me for more info or search for my topics and posts! |_P
Dark Fire Jade

Skeleton
Skeleton

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Daedalus » March 11th, 2014, 11:47 pm

Hello, Dark Fire Jade, and welcome to the boards.

I may be misunderstanding this. As an example, does a level 20 Hero with a dagger have 21 combat dice, and a level 20 Hero with a battle axe have 24 combat dice? If that is the case, I have two problems:

That's more combat dice than I care to count, throw and spot. It's gonna seriously slow up gameplay.
    The combat-dice value of a weapon will become less and less meaningful as a Hero levels up.
Personally, I'd rather see a level system based on the established methods of the game--new equipment and artifacts. Granted, a ceiling is reached faster, but I'm fine with starting with new Heroes at that point. I'm not looking for a new advancement system, but if I were, I'd prefer slower advancement that required less dice rolling. Perhaps you could limit bonus stats to just 1 per each level (or 2 or 3 levels), with costs to govern their aquisition. Then again, this may be more complication than you are after.

elf_flesh plays in an ultra-powered game found in the Saturday Night Dungeon forum. Maybe it could provide some insight.

As an afterthought, I wonder if a one-off with a ton of dice would be a novel way of playing a Quest. I think it would work best if the monsters rolled way less dice than the Heroes. I'd want some way to use surplus hits, otherwise combat would really slog with the huge numbers of opposition needed to counter the nigh-unstoppable Heroes. I'm thinking Hong Kong-ridiculous combat.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Dark Fire Jade » March 12th, 2014, 12:03 am

Most people only have six maybe a few extras for dice there are plans for what i have in mind for attack once beyond 6 so 7 and up is auto hitting but defense my thought after 6 so 7 and up is to add it to you body points like armor that has to be worn down before you main life is hit. final fantasy tactics for ps1 used this for its armor and liked the idea plus when play testing an auto defense made it too much of a problem where you couldnt be damaged by weak monsters and had to be strong to even hurt the high ranking foes even a little bit.

Dark Fire Jade

Skeleton
Skeleton

Hero:
Usergroups:

Return to Rules