• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

knighkrawler's krap [rules]: LINE OF SIGHT

Discuss new Rules for HeroQuest.

Re: knighkrawler's krap [rules]: LINE OF SIGHT

Postby Tott » March 11th, 2014, 1:36 pm

as soon as i read 'the chest of one figure' it made me think about the direction that the figure is facing, maybe that's me being a bit too literal though.
Tott

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Sjeng » March 11th, 2014, 1:40 pm

I wouldn't let the miniatures shape play any role at all in the game to be honest. It's irrelevant. You'd be making the sculpt a serious factor, while it shouldn't be.
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Daedalus » March 11th, 2014, 10:38 pm

Using a Square:
knightkrawler wrote:After you have used all your Movement Points you may re-position your figure within the square it is currently occupying in any way that keeps the figure's base rim completely within the square. This way you might be able to utilize the LoS rule to your advantage. Your figure's position within the square is not to be changed until its next movement.

It should work okay with all figures but really wonky ones, like the Giant Wolf. It can attack any adjacent square, even one from its rear. It could be positioned so that it could attack around a corner with it's rear square and be out of LoS from almost all other attacks but the adjacent one. Conversely, it could also be positioned so that its chest is in LoS around a corner while its base isn't. Sounds like by rebasing or proxying the figures you've solved that problem, so no worries.

The Road Warrior wrote:
knightkrawler wrote:Using a Square:
After you have used all your Movement Points you may re-position your figure within the square it is currently occupying in any way that keeps the figure's base rim completely within the square.

...If an imaginary straight line can be drawn from the chest of one figure to the chest of another figure, the figures are in each other's Line of Sight.

So I can turn my back on a figure and he can no longer see me? Can't he shoot me in the back?
Does this count as using the LoS rule to my advantage? ;)

Tott wrote:as soon as i read 'the chest of one figure' it made me think about the direction that the figure is facing, maybe that's me being a bit too literal though.

I didn't have a problem with chest, but perhaps midsection would work better. Midsection works better with a snake or squig, too.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Big Bene » March 12th, 2014, 6:25 am

knightkrawler wrote:After you have used all your Movement Points you may re-position your figure within the square it is currently occupying in any way that keeps the figure's base rim completely within the square. This way you might be able to utilize the LoS rule to your advantage. Your figure's position within the square is not to be changed until its next movement.
Sjeng wrote:I wouldn't let the miniatures shape play any role at all in the game to be honest. It's irrelevant. You'd be making the sculpt a serious factor, while it shouldn't be.

I'm all with Sjeng here.
Simplicity is the key.
Well, KK, it's your ruleset, and you can use what you want and leave what you want.
But you asked for advise, and my strong advise would be - and as much as I see, I'm in line here with Sjeng, drathe and Daedalus - not to use the actual figures for taking any measurements in game. The minis are just tokens representing a charakter. A goblin may well be a good deal smaller or bigger in the "real" game world. And think about all the charakters the Chaos Sorcerer Mini stands in for!
Thats why I (and the others I named) use the gameboard squares, and this was the main point in the suggestions in my first post. I like the thought you have put in the realism of your LoS rule, but I fear players won't appreciate it when playing a "simple" dungeon crawling game and then have to take complicated measurements whenever trying a ranged attack.

We're touching the field of narrative vs. simulation here, wich is a constant pairing of opposites in roleplaying / dungeoncrawling games.
Perhaps it's more clear to use examples from other media - compare Final Fantasy to Skyrim. Skyrim is more of a simulation of a fantasy world than a game. The story is there, but when you are palying it for the story, you will be disappointed, cause the details of the world distract from it and interrupt it. Final Fantasy is all about story - it leads you from climax to climax and while you play your charakter (with relatively limited choices) the epic unfolds before you. I think it's more fun to play, but fans of "open world" games - i. e. simulation - will be disappointed by the linear storyline.

It's an underlying pattern of nerd culture:
Simulation <-> Narration
Skyrim - Final Fantasy
Star Trek (new serials) - Star Wars, Babylon 5
Tolkien - Howard, Moorcock
Rolemaster - AD&D
Warhammer Quest - Heroquest

As you may have suspected, I' all on the narraton side :roll:
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » March 12th, 2014, 10:40 am

I never wanted to complicate things, and haven't taken into account figure's posings and just how important the rule wording is and how the figures disrupt simplicity.
You're all right here. I presented this to avoid getting off into complicated specification again like I did when I first delved into this hobby.
That's what this discussion is all about. Keeping me sane. And what my ruleset is all about.
Thing is, I read the rules once to my players, if the situation occurs and someone is about to make a mistake, I explain and that's that. Very intuitive when played out. Still interpretable however I put it all into words and the sculpt defining rules is really really not called for by anyone.
It's a conundrum started by the sloppiness of HQ EU edition 1 and 2.

A quick solution to accomodate for height differences and ranged attacks over figures being possible, would be a new re-worded rule, accompanied by a monster special rule. Like "does not block LoS" or something on the cards of Goblins, Skaven, Kobolds.
Seems simple to me. Doesn't discriminate against specific heroes when shooting and when being shot at both.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Previous

Return to Rules