• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

How to add challenge for powerful heroes?

Discuss new Rules for HeroQuest.

How to add challenge for powerful heroes?

Postby Jaws » December 27th, 2013, 3:26 am

I am sure this must have come up a lot of times in these forums, but a search didn't really give me what I was looking for.

We (my brother and I) are currently playing through the original campaign. I play Morcar, and try my best to give a challenge without brutally killing everyone.
So far, 8 quests in, there has only been one death, but a lot of close calls. :) Which is fun. We also play with the american rules. Which greatly increased the fun and challenge aspect of the game, compared to the European version. But it's not quite enough.

I do see the balancing becoming harder to do as the heroes grow in power.

The heroes are currently all up at 4 defence dice. Or soon will be.

I believe the current stats are:
Barbarian 4/3
Dwarf 3/4
Elf 3*(2)/4 - *Crossbow
Wizard 2/4

I have been adding 1-2 extra monsters in the rooms. But I would like to hear what suggestions you veterans have on this subject. Are numbers the only way of adding difficulty? I want to avoid having every encounter room stacked with monsters. Yet, even now, if there are less than 4, they're usually all dead before their turn comes up. If one survives, there is a very low chance for that monster to do any damage.
Jaws

Skeleton
Skeleton

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: How to add challenge for powerful heroes?

Postby knightkrawler » December 27th, 2013, 4:23 am

Jaws wrote:I play Morcar, and try my best to give a challenge without brutally killing everyone.

There's the first mistake. Try. have fun. Tell your players you're out for vengeance from now. It's a competition and you are not the referee. Tell them this beforehand and make yourself a list with tactics to use. Search for them here, chaoticprime has listed them more than once, be inventive, go nuts, write them down, and go out to kill heroes.

Take a gander at some optional rules, too: http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=1765&hilit=optional+rules
Most of those reference the problem you've met.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby chaoticprime » December 27th, 2013, 5:03 am

Tear up their character sheets and claim they just got lost somehow.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » December 27th, 2013, 5:22 am

Your first mistake was not killing them sooner :twisted:
You just have to gang up on a single hero and take him down. Don't spread out the damage.

As I see it, a total party wipe every game is no fun, but neither are immortal heroes. A death here and there adds an element of danger and excitement.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » December 27th, 2013, 5:27 am

Exactly. It's not like loser players have nothing to do. The first hero who dies will make cheese snacks, compile burger thingies, and serve beverages.
The second gets up on the pole and dances salaciously.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Teldurn » December 27th, 2013, 9:31 am

knightkrawler wrote:Exactly. It's not like loser players have nothing to do. The first hero who dies will make cheese snacks, compile burger thingies, and serve beverages.

None of this happens at my games. I must be doing something wrong. I'm coming over to play in yours.
War is not the answer...unless the question is, 'What is not the answer?'

Check out Broadsword, a love letter to 90s dungeon crawling board games.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Destroyed a Zombie!Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Teldurn

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Jaws » December 27th, 2013, 11:17 am

knightkrawler wrote:
Jaws wrote:I play Morcar, and try my best to give a challenge without brutally killing everyone.

There's the first mistake. Try. have fun. Tell your players you're out for vengeance from now. It's a competition and you are not the referee. Tell them this beforehand and make yourself a list with tactics to use. Search for them here, chaoticprime has listed them more than once, be inventive, go nuts, write them down, and go out to kill heroes.

Take a gander at some optional rules, too: http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=1765&hilit=optional+rules
Most of those reference the problem you've met.

Thank you for these pointers. I've tried to GM like a more traditional roleplay dungeon master. I have quite some experience with being one, and there you sort of want the players to survive, at least long enough to see the end of the story you are telling. But they shouldn't feel like it. :) My players of course think that I've tried to kill them to the best of my ability, and they did often finish quests with only a few HP left on all characters, going "phew.. that was a lot of close calls!". This even though I've bent the rules a few occasions, added more monsters when needed, and circumvented a few deaths by not exploiting weaknesses in their placement.

I guess the only way to keep the game challenging is to separate the most well equipped heroes, get them alone and kill them. I hope I'll be able to do this over the course of the last four levels, making them have to save up for new equipment again.

Next quest pack, I will definitely use the wandering monsters on a skull roll for dead turns. This makes the run back to the stairs actually worth playing as well. :twisted:

Exactly. It's not like loser players have nothing to do. The first hero who dies will make cheese snacks, compile burger thingies, and serve beverages.

Since my girl also plays I can't believe I haven't thought of this yet! :) Haha. More incentive to kill'em. :D
Jaws

Skeleton
Skeleton

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » December 27th, 2013, 12:31 pm

Just make sure to kill your fat friend FIRST, THEN your girlfriend! The other way around could quickly end in disaster! :lol:

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » December 27th, 2013, 3:08 pm

Teldurn wrote:
knightkrawler wrote:Exactly. It's not like loser players have nothing to do. The first hero who dies will make cheese snacks, compile burger thingies, and serve beverages.

None of this happens at my games. I must be doing something wrong. I'm coming over to play in yours.

You're a guy, right!? Methinks I'll have to circumvent your dying second...

Rewards:
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Teldurn » December 28th, 2013, 5:09 pm

knightkrawler wrote:
Teldurn wrote:

You're a guy, right!? Methinks I'll have to circumvent your dying second...

Yes. but hey, don't knock anyone's dancing skills before seeing it. Just sayin' :mrgreen:
War is not the answer...unless the question is, 'What is not the answer?'

Check out Broadsword, a love letter to 90s dungeon crawling board games.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Destroyed a Zombie!Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Teldurn

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Next

Return to Rules