• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Established House Rules

Discuss new Rules for HeroQuest.

Re: Established House Rules

Postby Gunzhard » December 19th, 2013, 11:56 pm

thesmokinggnu wrote:A couple of people have mentioned that the proposed changes, at least those relating to scrapping the use of the HeroQuest dice and using a common 2D6 mechanism for all tests and contests, plus the addition of an advancement process may take my proposed rules beyond HeroQuest and these rules may perhaps be better characterised as a custom Advanced HeroQuest variant. I'm intending to get hold of a copy of at least the AHQ rulebook and hopefully any necessary components before making a call on this but if that suits better then I'll continue this discussion in a new topic under the AHQ part of this site.

Any opinions on this? HQ or AHQ?

AHQ all the way brother! ...haha it's a lot tougher to find and came with just 20 of the same crappy Skaven monsters; also quite a bit more complex than HQ, but otherwise a fantastic game.

Check out the DOWNLOADS page at my blog: http://enhancedadvancedheroquest.blogspot.com/

It's mostly straight up the original rules, but some minor changes/house-rules... thanks to Slev, and Sjeng and Patroclus from here, and my poor roommates (playtesters).
Gunzhard

Zombie
Zombie

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Bareheaded Warrior » December 20th, 2013, 7:02 pm

I'll have a read of your Enhanced Advanced HeroQuest (that is a mouthful) and I think I'll draw up my HQ/AHQ hybrid, give it a name and publish a draft over the next couple of weeks
:skull: = white skull, one "hit"
:blackshield: = black skull, one "hit"
:whiteshield: = shield, cancels out one "hit"

Editions: 1989 Original First Edition [FE] and Second Edition [SE], 1990 Remake [US], 2021 Remake [21]

HeroQuest Gold new edition based on Original 1989 HeroQuest, holes patched, dents hammered out, buffed to a shiny finish with ~50 common issues fixed for a smoother experience.

HQ Common Notification System to identify squares on the board
Bareheaded Warrior

Scout
Scout

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Gunzhard » December 20th, 2013, 7:10 pm

Bareheaded Warrior wrote:I'll have a read of your Enhanced Advanced HeroQuest (that is a mouthful) and I think I'll draw up my HQ/AHQ hybrid, give it a name and publish a draft over the next couple of weeks

Cool I am looking forward to checking it out, by the way Toco has a HQ/AHQ hybrid called 'Allied Heroquest' ...it's very nice!
Gunzhard

Zombie
Zombie

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Bareheaded Warrior » January 3rd, 2014, 6:57 pm

I've compiled some stuff, not yet in a nice layout but its a start. I'll publish it now so I can gather some feedback whilst I'm editing. I can't yet do attachments so I've uploaded it here; http://smokinggnu.net/downloads/AHQ_Gold_Reference_Sheets.xlsx

Editions: 1989 Original First Edition [FE] and Second Edition [SE], 1990 Remake [US], 2021 Remake [21]

HeroQuest Gold new edition based on Original 1989 HeroQuest, holes patched, dents hammered out, buffed to a shiny finish with ~50 common issues fixed for a smoother experience.

Bareheaded Warrior

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Gunzhard » January 3rd, 2014, 8:47 pm

Wow that's quite a lot of work you did... it's not the easiest to look at in my OpenOffice but so far I am impressed. I love beastmen as Picts, I'm a huge Conan fan too.
Gunzhard

Zombie
Zombie

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Bareheaded Warrior » January 4th, 2014, 8:24 pm

My fuzzy logic was;

I don't like the single mighty villain concept as it makes adventures unsustainable, you kill the big bad boss (Sauron), what do you do next, retire? GW world doesn't have a single mighty villain but if I take LOTR and scrap Sauron, then the rest of the Istari must go, so no Wizards, no Orcs as Sauron's boss created them by twisting Elves, so we are left with Goblins as an independent monster. GW has Goblins as the weaker cousins of Orcs but with Orcs gone I decided to beef up Goblins in terms of stature and culture to become the Picts, the 'painted ones', as a self contained group of savages, they will be my intro level opponents that are nasty and vicious but not intrinsically evil.

I will be expanding the Bestiary but I want to get the core rule system hammered out and documented so I can focus on producing quests / adventures and the world they are set in (and learning how to paint the minis).

Incidentally I produced the linked to docs using LibreOffice so the formatting shouldn't be too bad, but I'll be switching to a proper document layout for the next draft version.

Bareheaded Warrior

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Blackthorn » January 5th, 2014, 2:20 am

Patroclus wrote:in my opinion, the good about the rules of HQ is that it has no rules... Don’t try to put a rule for everything because you will make a book of 100 pages, and you will change what HQ really is. HQ leaves many things to common sense and gives the opportunity to play many things as GM wants.

I agree with this wholeheartedly |_P

One house rule I read about quite often (I don't think it was covered already in this thread) is simply allowing each room to be searched only once per quest, rather than one time by each hero individually. We did this initially because we somehow misread the rules, but once we discovered the error we decided we liked it better that way. The rule about a spell-caster saving himself by casting a healing spell is vaguely worded and invites house rules. We have chosen to allow the spell-caster perform this feat even if they've performed an action on their turn as outlined by Daedalus earlier in this thread...it seems like the Wizard could use a break now and again anyway.

Any other house rules I've tried to impose thus far were soon dispensed with of because
1) They were too fiddly..or
2) They really didn't make much of difference...or
3) All of the above

These include rules about ranged weapons, defining the searchable areas in corridors, limiting the supply of ammo for the crossbow, restrictions on changing weapons, and rules allowing the Wizard to retain spell cards. Perhaps when we spend more time with the Quest Packs we will find the need to adopt more house rules, but for now we stick pretty much with the rules as written.
Fear the chinkle!

Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
Blackthorn

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:

Postby Bareheaded Warrior » December 6th, 2022, 11:01 am

This topic has now been closed in favour of this one HeroQuest Gold

Bareheaded Warrior

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:

Previous

Return to Rules