• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Equipment Redefined

Discuss new Rules for HeroQuest.

Equipment Redefined

Postby mainat » March 18th, 2013, 12:29 pm

An area I felt that could have been done better in HQ was the consistent definition of weapons and armor (mostly weapons) through keywords. Things like the Battle Axe and Staff that say "can't be used with shield". Why can't it be used with the shield? Well, because they are two handed weapons. So I've gone through the existing weapons (including the UK weapons) and using their descriptions have come up with the following keywords: Two Handed, Ranged, Thrown, and Reach. In addition to that I added the ever popular Dual Wield keyword and redefined the Thrown keyword so it's more useful (it would be an interesting poll question to see how many people actually throw any of their weapons). The updated armory can be found attached. This is what I use for my players to buy from. Apologies for the lack of any kind of cool art, it's pretty much a text file.

I came up with new costs based on the following formula:
100 for every attack dice
-25 for Two Handed
50 for Dual Wield
25 for Reach
25 for Thrown
50 for Ranged
So for example the spear which has two attack dice (200), has reach(25), and thrown(25); so it costs 250 gold.

Let me know of any questions, thoughts or suggestions!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by mainat on March 21st, 2013, 5:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
mainat

Skeleton
Skeleton

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Equipment Redefined

Postby Sjeng » March 18th, 2013, 12:40 pm

This is amazing! Aside from the fact that the EU staff is 2 attack dice (but also more expensive) I love this chart! I'm making an alternative armoury myself, and I am definitely going to use this if I may :)
I love the keywords, makes everything much much clearer. It was definitely lacking.
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby torilen » March 18th, 2013, 1:59 pm

I actually used a similar thought line when putting together my expanded equipment. I changed
the price of some things, added some weapons and armor and such. I had the same thoughts...
add a little more if it could be used for a reach weapon, or two handed, etc. I don't think I ever
wrote it out with such detail. But good job. That should help others with pricing and making new
weapons, should they desire to do so.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby mainat » March 18th, 2013, 2:36 pm

Definitely use the material, it's why I shared. Maybe somebody out their with mad art skills and the tools will make a better looking version!

You know that's great insight! I guess I never though about using the keywords and cost formula as a means to create new weapons. But you're right, it makes it super easy. I was able to come up with 4 new weapons in less then 5 minutes.

Short bow (210 gold) 2 attack dice, two handed, ranged
Long bow (410 gold) 4 attack dice, two handed, ranged
Mace (350 gold) 3 Attack dice, Dual Wield
Boomerang (135 gold) 1 Attack dice, Ranged -- Usable by the wizard of course! :D

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
mainat

Skeleton
Skeleton

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby drathe » March 18th, 2013, 3:52 pm

Only issue I have now is with the dagger becoming even more useless than it was before. Very few people purchase themas throwing weapons at 25 gold, now at 175 they're sure to never buy one. Just save another 75 for the shortsword if they want dual-wield.

The rest is great and the formula works well with everything else.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Sjeng » March 18th, 2013, 4:00 pm

the boomerang is a great idea if t always comes back at you! :D superb!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby mainat » March 18th, 2013, 4:07 pm

I agree, the thrown attribute was pretty useless before as you were literally throwing away money. I can honestly say I never played with anyone who threw their dagger (let alone the more expensive spear or axe). And that's why I updated the Thrown definition to once you throw the dagger (in this case), you can go and retrieve it so not to permanently lose it. This makes it much more versatile and much more likely to be used on a regular basis.

Yeah, I kind of like the boomerang. In the 10 seconds I thought about it; I figure it makes more sense for it to be Ranged instead of Thrown (even though it's a throwing action).

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
mainat

Skeleton
Skeleton

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Templar » March 18th, 2013, 4:23 pm

This is a great modification of the cards. |_P I have done something similar, but with percentages for modifying costs.

Personally, I like the blunt way of describing how a weapon works, but your way is much, much easier and less spacy.

And these kinds of formulas is, as you say, a wonderful way of thinking up new weapons to use. I'm up to 37 now :D
"If you have to ask, you're streets behind..." - Pierce Hawthorn

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Templar

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby The Road Warrior » March 18th, 2013, 4:37 pm

mainat wrote:I can honestly say I never played with anyone who threw their dagger (let alone the more expensive spear or axe).

I have thrown a spear before :x
(but I did have enough gold to buy 10 replacements)
Join in the community project.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
The Road Warrior

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Sjeng » March 20th, 2013, 4:40 pm

I'd like to see more weapon ideas. Please post them. I'll add the ones I find usefull to my new armoury.

Why did you make ranged cost 35g instead of for example 50g? It's a pretty good benefit. Just wondering.

Rewards:
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Hero:
Usergroups:

Next

Return to Rules