• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Recovering Daggers and limiting Crossbow arrows

Discuss new Rules for HeroQuest.

Recovering Daggers and limiting Crossbow arrows

Postby Daedalus » April 23rd, 2012, 6:55 pm

While replying in another thread started by Ethica about reloading a Crossbow, I made an off-topic remark that the unbalancing effect of the Crossbow could be addressed by requiring an expendable Quiver of 10 bolts be purchased for 100 gold coins. The issues of tracking and recovering spent ammunition were discussed a bit, and that got me thinking about another ammo rule that doesn't require the same record-keeping. It belongs in the Armory under the Crossbow description:

Crossbow
              350 Gold Coins
                    Weapon
    This long-range weapon gives you the
    attack strength of 3 combat dice. You
    may fire at any monster that you can
    "see." However, you cannot fire at
    a monster that is adjacent to you. You
    have a quiver of arrows that is
    expended if you roll two black shields
    while attacking with this weapon. A
    new quiver may be purchased for 100
    gold coins.

Similarly, the Dagger description can be modified:

Dagger
              50 Gold Coins
                   Weapon
    This sharp knife gives you the attack
    strength of 1 combat die. A dagger can
    also be thrown at any monster you can
    "see," but if the Attack die rolled is a
    black shield then it is lost.

Now on to the hows and whys of these house rule additions.

As things stand without house-ruling, a Crossbow with unlimited shots and 3 Attack dice costs the same as 14 thrown Daggers with just 1 Attack die. 2 extra Attack dice and infinite shots is just too good. I don't feel not allowing adjacent attacks is much of a penalty, as a Hero could simply back up and fire, or instead just punch with 1 Attack die anyway. Even if attacks without weapons are downgraded to say, hitting with a White Shield, there still isn't much difference between a Dagger and an unarmed attack when compared to the difference between a Crossbow and Dagger.

To even up the Dagger to the power of a Crossbow using the premises of the base rules, it should be a one-time purchase with unlimited shots at some increased cost--say 100 Gold Coins. However, I think a lot of people would have problems with this approach. The idea of a Wizard outfitted with bandoleers of Daggers doesn't ring true in my opinion. Maybe others would like it...I don't know.

To the best of my knowledge, no one has yet mentioned that recording thrown Daggers is a problem--probably because throwing them often is cost prohibitive. My own solution is to raise their cost to 50 gold coins and allow thrown Daggers to be recovered--but if a Black Shield was rolled during the attack then it is broken and rendered useless. This breaking of a thrown weapon is an extension of a weapon-damage house rule that I modified from one of Phoenix's threads. In the case one-Attack-die weapons such as a Dagger used adjacently or a Staff, a Black Shield attack result must be rerolled--only if a Black Shield is again rolled is the weapon damaged/destroyed. (This is a new, extended edit of my own original weapon damage rule.)

The Crossbow house rule detailed at the top of this post is derived from the recoverable Daggers rule above, setting Crossbow ammunition as a finite resource that must occasionally be repurchased. If my math is correct, rolling 2 Black Shields with a 3 Attack-dice Crossbow should happen once in 13 or 14 attacks; maybe the roll will happen in just one attack, or maybe it will happen in thirty. Thematically, expending all of the arrows early can be rationalized by an arrow jamming the Crossbow or the arrows being lost or broken during a Quest. A quiver of arrows that is expended long after the average 13.5 uses can be explained by the successful, repeated recovery of fired ammunition. Maybe the true starting number is just six or ten arrows in a quiver--it doesn't exactly matter if you assume a Hero is generally searching for spent arrows with limited or greater success.

I think a 100 gold-coin quiver compares favorably with the 50 gold-coin Dagger which on average is lost in 6 thrown attacks. The extra 2 Attack dice of arrows are balanced out by the additional 350 gold coin cost of the Crossbow (maybe). Pricing Crossbow ammunition addresses the extreme usefulness of the Crossbow, allowing an early purchase while adding a cost that drains the coffers. Daggers already do this, and the more powerful Crossbow should as well.
Last edited by Daedalus on April 24th, 2012, 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Recovering Daggers and limiting Crossbow arrows

Postby Ethica » April 24th, 2012, 3:46 am

I like it. I'm going to include this in my own rules.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Ethica

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Nerrad72 » April 24th, 2012, 9:37 am

Food for thought. I shall try it with my group |_P

How about the Hand Axe?

I allow my group to throw them, attacking with 2 combat dice. They can carry a max of 5. I cost them at 50 gold each. I also allow them to recover thrown axes but I also employ the damage/lost roll. The 2 combat dice attack closes the gap on the crossbow but I agree the crowbow is too good
Nerrad72

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby cynthialee » April 24th, 2012, 10:34 am

I am all in favor of a quiver of bolts. It is a simple thing to track. They already track Hit Points, and Mind Points. It isn't like the players have very much record keeping to do.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Ethica » April 24th, 2012, 11:02 am

cynthialee wrote:I am all in favor of a quiver of bolts. It is a simple thing to track. They already track Hit Points, and Mind Points. It isn't like the players have very much record keeping to do.

That is also a good point. It requires an additional space on my custom character sheet.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Ethica

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Sjeng » April 24th, 2012, 1:47 pm

Ethica wrote:That is also a good point. It requires an additional space on my custom character sheet.

As in, an inventory diablo style sheet? could you scan it and post it? sounds interesting.
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Daedalus » April 24th, 2012, 4:53 pm

@Nerrad72-
Using the OP rules, the Hand axe and the Spear from the European Equipment cards work much like the Daggers, but since they already use 2 Attack dice there's no need for an extra reroll of a Black Shield while attacking adjacently (or diagonally with the Spear). Even though they are damaged while thrown if just 1 Black Shield is rolled, the Hand axe and Spear are instead reduced to just 1 Attack die, not automatically destroyed. They may be repaired at half cost once, but if they are damaged again (repaired or not), they are forever ruined. I upgraded the Spear to 200 gold coins, as the diagonal attack ability makes it better than the Hand axe. I kept the Hand axe the same at 150 gold coins.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » April 24th, 2012, 5:14 pm

It occured to me that the Dagger rule should also go in the Armory. It probably goes without saying, but both the Crossbow and Dagger rules would go into the Equipment cards if the European rules are used. The new Dagger entry:

Dagger
              50 Gold Coins
                   Weapon
    This sharp knife gives you the attack
    strength of 1 combat die. A dagger can
    also be thrown at any monster you can
    "see," but if the Attack die rolled is a
    black shield then it is lost.

I'm adding this to the OP for completeness.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:

Postby Ethica » April 25th, 2012, 3:10 am

Sjeng wrote:
Ethica wrote:That is also a good point. It requires an additional space on my custom character sheet.

As in, an inventory diablo style sheet? could you scan it and post it? sounds interesting.

Here is my existing one. Still got to ammend for ammo tracking.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Ethica

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby joec » April 26th, 2012, 9:45 am

I don't allow daggers to be re-used since they're so cheap. Crossbow bolts? Oh, I limit them. It's bad enough my players now have a systematic sweep they do. So... Crossbow's initial purchase - you get 8 bolts. After that - 3 arrows for 90 gold, or 6 arrows for 150 gold.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic.
joec

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Next

Return to Rules