• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

'Seven with one blow' - simple combat suggestion

Discuss new Rules for HeroQuest.

'Seven with one blow' - simple combat suggestion

Postby Zenithfleet » March 15th, 2012, 10:16 pm

A while ago I played through the EU base set and Kellar's Keep with only one opponent (controlling all the Heroes). It was all by-the-book playing--very few embellishments.

We found that large numbers of monsters could be quite tedious to churn through, especially in KK, which is stuffed to bursting with green things. Even though some Heroes could attack with four dice, they could still only hit one monster at a time.

We came up with a simple rule: if a Hero scores so many unblocked skulls that a monster loses more Body points than it actually has, the Heroe's attack is so powerful that the 'spare' skulls can be passed on to any other monster adjacent to the Hero.

This represents those over-the-top Conan moments when a surrounded Hero becomes a whirlwind of death slicing through several foes with a single blow. (OK, maybe not seven, but I couldn't resist the fairytale reference...)

Example: The Barbarian is flanked by two Skellies with 1BP each. He attacks a Skellie with three dice and scores three skulls. The Skellie manages to roll one black shield, so loses 2BP. Since it only has 1BP to lose, the sword chops straight through it and swings around to hit the other Skellie with the unused skull.

This helps speed up the game whenever there are lots of monsters about. Apparently there's a similar mechanic in Warhammer Quest called 'deathblow'.

You could make this an earned ability. For instance, the EU game says the Heroes become Champions after three quests but don't receive any reward (apparently there was one in the 1st edition though). Maybe becoming a Champion means you're experienced enough to use this ability. Or maybe that's too soon--maybe you earn it after completing all the quests in the base game. What do you reckon?

EDIT: Eek, a Goblin just appeared on my sidebar. I don't remember drawing a wandering monster card... :shock:
Zenithfleet

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: 'Seven with one blow' - simple combat suggestion

Postby Ethica » March 16th, 2012, 5:46 am

I like it. I like the idea of having it as an earned ability. I would only offer it to the barbarian though (giving the dwarf more trap/secret doors abilities, the wizard and elf more spells).

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Ethica

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Zenithfleet » March 16th, 2012, 6:33 am

Good point about only giving it to the barbarian. He gets powerful so quickly that I often forget he's actually one of the most limited characters--no speshul goodies...
Zenithfleet

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Nerrad72 » March 16th, 2012, 6:57 am

Excellent Idea!!

I've been needing to add something for the barbarian for a longtime. Its so easy to add for the rest. I shall try it with my group tonight.

Thanks
Nerrad72

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Zenithfleet » March 17th, 2012, 4:56 am

I've been needing to add something for the barbarian for a longtime. Its so easy to add for the rest. I shall try it with my group tonight.

Did you get a chance to try it out? How did it go?
Zenithfleet

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Nerrad72 » March 18th, 2012, 7:26 am

Tried it friday night.

We played 'Dwarven Kings' quest, you know the one with the monsters continually coming, and thought that this added trait would be capitalized upon.

I envisaged the barbarian using his long sword and guarding the door from the massing enemies. Alas Heroquest is rarely predictable. Turn out the wizard was to be defender, with the aid of rock skin.

So in conclusion the verdict is out. There was no case when the trait was used, as the barbarian did a runner, but the added trait was welcomed from the human player.

We will continue using it, I shall inform you of any good examples of the trait in our games
Nerrad72

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Return to Rules