• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

New Trap Ideas

Discuss new Rules for HeroQuest.

Re: New Trap Ideas

Postby drathe » November 28th, 2009, 1:59 pm

Only very recently. The first time I've seen this was in either Final Fantasy IV, VI (II & III on the SNES) or Super Mario RPG. I think it would make a great twist for HeroQuest too. Can't disarm it, 'cause it'll bite your fingers off! :lol:

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Phoenix » November 28th, 2009, 11:25 pm

Final Fantasy IV (II on the SNES) is my all-time favorite. you are right. One of the chests is a mimic and attacks the heroes as the try to "search for traps". I don't usually have many problems with it. I believe it is in the Magma Cave (the first 'quest' in the underworld); if I recall correctly.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
The Great
Phoenix

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby drathe » November 29th, 2009, 4:21 pm

Yeah, out of all the Final Fantasy titles, FF II (j4) is one of four that I've actually completed. It is just that good! I like the idea of possessed furniture. In Secret of Mana there are Polterchairs that end up attacking you. I've always thought that would be a cool idea in a HeroQuest game. Mayhaps for Local Legends III? Actually, they would fit rather well with some of your Nightmare ideas for Local Legends II. If you don't end up using them, I definitely will at some point in the future. Of course, nothing wrong with both of us using the same great ideas. Or anyone else for that matter. That's why we openly discuss these types of things. Ideas beget ideas... and now I'm rambling... :mrgreen:

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Hero:
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Draven » December 6th, 2009, 3:42 pm

Phoenix wrote:While at work the other day, I had several ideas for new traps and hazards to add to HeroQuest. Just things that are a little different to keep the Heroes on their toes (if they have any left) :twisted: .

1) Set a Trap - Example: The Barbarian walks down the corridor and steps on a square marked "X" and basically sets the trap. The next Hero, the Dwarf steps on the same square, and blamo! Sets off the trap and takes damage. Specific trap type, unknown. Use your imagination.

2) Exploding Door Trap - The Hero who opens the door takes 2 Combat Dice of damage and any Hero in a diagonally adjacent square will take 1 Combat Die of damage. Heroes may roll 1 less combat die in defense. This keeps down the pesky "line up and then open the door" dungeon delving.

3) Swivel-Smack - The Hero steps on a square and the wall near him (and the floor beneath) rotate 180 degrees and throws the Hero into an adjacent room causing him damage. This not only gives zargon a chance to harm the heroes, but also separates them for a time being.

There were a few others, but they escape me at the moment.

Tried out your Exploding door trap on my last quest. The look on the heroes faces were priceless. It took them 2 trapped doors to catch on that their "line up and open the door strategy" wasn't going to be the same again.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Draven

Zombie
Zombie

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Phoenix » December 7th, 2009, 8:13 am

If you really want to try something in a little different, you should check out The Imperial Academy.

http://heroquestbyphoenix.yeoldeinn.com/resources.php

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
The Great
Phoenix

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Milk » December 17th, 2009, 9:08 pm

AerynB wrote:
drathe wrote:Possessed Treasure - While searching for treasure, the chest comes to life and bites the Hero who searched with two Combat dice. The unprepared Hero cannot defend this attack. The chest now becomes a regular Monster to be controlled by Zargon on his turn.

Once defeated, the chest may or may not contain actual treasure depending on the notes.

Reminds me of the Canibox in dq8. ;) Sure you've never played a dragon warrior/quest game before?

Huh, don't know why I ever added to this before, but in my roll of monsters, I actually created stats for Mimics (both large and small). Though a monster, Mimics won't attack until the proper action is taken: Search for Treasure, Open Door etc, depending on the type of Mimic involved. I remember I made them pretty tough (I think, if I recall correctly, they were some of the toughest monsters on my custom monster list), but of course, being that they are of a magical nature, rather rare.
"There should always be barbarians to the north."
Milk

Fimir
Fimir

Forum Language: English (United States)
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Grazul's Traps & Deadly Devices

Postby Goblin-King » August 20th, 2013, 1:54 am

[This topic was merged from the General Discussion forum on 1/1/15. It continues on to p.7 of this thread.] -Daedalus

Are the heroes getting too clever?
Are they avoiding your traps while blindfolded?
Well get down to Grazul's! We have the latest in traps and deadly devices!

A post in another thread motivated me to start this topic.
IvenBach wrote: The pit is 10ft wide making it a 2x2 square section. Instead of the pit trap actually being where they see it it is behind. The visible trap is only an illusion and its actually solid ground
Quote is from this thread: http://www.yeoldeinn.com/hqforum/viewtopic.php?f=143&t=1872&start=10

The idea is to make an arsenal of creative traps for spicing up those custom quests. Post your ideas here.
Of course, if you'd rather keep them to yourselves I understand that. Some of us might play with each other or share quests.

Well here goes...
My first contributions:

Water Pit:
It works the same way as a normal pit trap as far as detecting and activating goes, but instead of taking damage the hero must immediately strip down to two pieces of armor or he drowns.
If you are a cruel GM you might want to make it one piece of armor or even zero!

Teleport Trap with a twist:
A simple teleport trap. You step on it and are transported to the exit square.
But instead of just being moved annoyingly you are teleported into a fighting pit filled with monsters.
Only by killing the monsters will the return-teleport appear.
You could make it one use only. That way the other heroes can't even help.
Last edited by Daedalus on December 31st, 2014, 9:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: merged topic

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Grazul's Traps & Deadly Devices

Postby knightkrawler » August 20th, 2013, 2:36 am

Fire Trap
When a hero passes a square marked with a fire trap, he immediately suffers the loss of 2 Body points. He is not allowed to defend, but he can reduce the damage by discarding a water spell card of his choice. The player moves one square further in the direction he was moving when he triggered the trap and then stops his turn.
The fire trap can be passed after having been triggered, the figure taking 2 Body points of damage, and stopping it's turn on the square behind the trap.
It can only be disarmed by a hero who can "see" it discarding a water spell card of his choice.

________________________________________________________________________________________

This trap gives you a way of dividing the heroes and then conquering them in different ways.
There's at the very least a considerable delay when all heroes try to stay together, because of the stopping your turn when passing the trap.

I use the fire markers from Descent - very neat marker game, Descent.
____________________________________________________________________________________
Damnit, Daedalus, help me out and put that into less words... |_P
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby IvenBach » August 20th, 2013, 3:08 am

*Evil Laugh* The thread of death has started. I must note however that maybe ChaoticPrime should be restricted because he like myself avows to eating babies as a GM. Anywho glad to see that I can inspire GK as he's inspired me. I'll go dig out my Book of Death and see if any traps can keep heroes on their toes.

As this is in the HQ area are we restricting it to Straight HQ or can we post and have people mod them into HQ equivalent traps? All mine are D20 variants based around D&D.
Last edited by IvenBach on August 20th, 2013, 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
IvenBach
The NEEEEEEEEEEEERD!!!

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Sjeng » August 20th, 2013, 4:32 am

Play some Orcs Must Die 1+2, plenty of traps to take inspiration from :P

grinders, stompers, pushers, acid spitters, swinging maces, dart shooters, air vents, freezing vents, tar pits, fire spewers, spring traps, etc. etc.
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Rules