• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

TIA: Damaged Weapons

Discuss new Rules for HeroQuest.

Re: TIA: Damaged Weapons

Postby Von Necron » February 3rd, 2012, 10:15 am

I made random event rooms in my quests. Only like one or two. I didn't use cards kust made a sheet of ten random events sometimes 6 and had them role a d10 or d6. Damaged weapons or armor was a possible event. It kept it simple for us. I don't remember all the events, I changed them for each quest. Some examples were
Damaged armor loose one defend die
Damaged weapon loose one attack
Wounded monster how do heroes deal with it
Spell caster dropped potion back at stairwell does he go back
Diferent type of wandering monster
Ambush
Monster traitor
Loot monsters
I had others that would fit in with given quests
Von Necron

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Daedalus » June 13th, 2012, 5:53 pm

I recently went back to my weapon-damage house rule in another thread about fumbles. Rereading the rule after some time left me with the conclusion that it could be improved with simplification and amended (edits are in italics):

If an attack roll with a weapon results in all Black Shields or 3 Black Shields in any event, then it is damaged; one-combat-die weapons must reroll a second Black Shield if used in melee combat. Note a weapon as "damaged" on your Hero's Character Sheet. The combat die value of the weapon is now reduced by 1 until it is repaired between Quests. Repair cost is half the gold coin value of the weapon to remove this -1 penalty. Should the the weapon be damaged again before it is repaired, then it is destroyed. Weapon artifacts may not be damaged in this way.

If a Hero is protected by armor and a defend roll results in 3 or more Black Shields, or just 3 Black Shields if Chain Mail or Plate Mail is worn, then a piece of non-mail armor is damaged. Note this piece of armor as "damaged" on your Hero's Character Sheet, randomizing if necessary. Should Chain Mail or Plate Mail be worn and 4 or more Black Shields are rolled, then instead note this armor as "damaged." The combat die value of damaged armor is reduced by 1 until it is repaired between Quests. Repair cost is half the gold coin value of the armor to remove this -1 penalty. Should the armor be damaged again before it is repaired, then it is destroyed. Armor artifacts may not be damaged in this way and aren't included in randomizing to determine which piece of armor is damaged.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » March 28th, 2013, 6:40 pm

Well, that other thread about fumbles by knightkrawler got bumped again so I decided my houserule needed more clarification and simplification.

If an attack roll with a weapon results in all Black Shields or 3 Black Shields in any event, then it is damaged. For a 1 Attack Die weapon to be damaged in melee, a black shield result must also be rerolled for a second black shield. The Attack Dice of a damaged weapon is reduced by 1--record this on your Hero's Character Sheet.  A damaged weapon may be repaired for half of its cost between Quests. Weapon artifacts may not be damaged in this way.

If an armored Hero rolls 3 or more black shields for defense, then a randomly-determined piece of armor is damaged.  Should chain mail or plate mail be selected, randomize again, keeping this second result. The Defend Dice of damaged armor is reduced by 1; record this on your Character Sheet.  Damaged armor may be repaired for half of its cost between Quests.  Armor artifacts may not be damaged in this way.

The adjustment to the randomization of armor more closely resembles drathe's suggestion, but I put in a do-over for the more expensive chain and plate mail to balance thier costly loss. Instead of a 1-in-2 or 1-in-3 randomization, it would give a 1-in-4 or 1-in-9 chance for damage to chain or plate mail.

Is it apparent that a thrown dagger is damaged with a single black shield result, or do I need to detail that more?
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby burglekutt » April 24th, 2018, 8:04 am

Phoenix wrote:the exception being, that these items can take up to '4' damage before they become unrepairable. The more damage they take, the more expensive it becomes to repair them.

I like this idea because each point of dammage done to your weapon requires 25% of its cost to repair, or make it a straight $50.

Perhaps at the end of each quest you roll one CD, WShield= 1 Dam, BShield= 2 Dam. The first point of Dam always goes to your weapon, the rest can go to your armor.

Also this makes Zargons Rust spell less destructive to a hero which i like. It could take off 3points instead.
Of course players will say their Helmet takes the hit because it costs less to repair, so maybe give the Helmet only 2Dam, Shield 3Dam, Chain Mail 4Dam etc..

You'd also be able to make the dwarf a Black Smith who can repair em for even less cost.
burglekutt

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby burglekutt » November 20th, 2020, 2:16 pm

Posting so I can get back to this.

I love the idea of simply rolling a CombatDie at the end of a quest to see if you did damage to your weapon.
Skull: No damage..
WhiteShield: 1Damage.
BlackShield: 2Damage. The first point always going to your weapon & the second point can go to your armor or weapon.

Say you have a Long Sword, Helm & Chain Mail. 3Att/ 4Def & you roll a BShield at the end of the quest. If you don't repair it, your LSword now rolls 2Att+1d6 & you need to roll a 2 or less on the D6 for it to count as a Skull. Same for your Defense.

Example: You attack & roll 1Skull & a 1 on the D6, that's two Skulls the enemy must defend.

The monster attacks you with 3Skulls & you roll 2WhiteShields & a 3 on the D6, you take one point of damage.

You can repair these before the quest for 10% of the LSwords value & the Helms value.
Players will want to say the Damage was inflicted on their Helm since its the cheapest to repair & I'm OK with that.

Haven't play tested it yet though.
burglekutt

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Previous

Return to Rules