• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

HeroScribe Enhanced

Discuss Quest creation and share Quests/Quest Packs you've created.

HeroScribe Enhanced

Postby elguapo » March 29th, 2011, 5:28 pm

Hello,

I am new to the site, but I'd like to put out there that I've posted a new version of the opensource program HeroScribe.

Called HeroScribe Enhanced, it adds the following features to the original HeroScribe:

Added Wandering Monster selection dropdown
Added Quest Name field
Added Quest Speech field (the speech read to the Heroes by the QuestMaster)
Added the ability to add and remove Quest Notes (notes about the quest only viewable by the QuestMaster)
Added Wandering Monster, Quest Name, Quest Speech, and Quest Notes to all the export formats
Added an application icon
Added several menu icons
Added menu shortcuts
Added a new preference to save a default directory when saving, opening, and exporting.

Please feel free to download it, test it out, and let me know of any bugs, missing features, comments, etc.

You can download it at http://www.propvault.com/heroscribe
elguapo

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: HeroScribe Enhanced

Postby Phoenix » March 29th, 2011, 10:36 pm

When I saw what you had done, I was pretty excited. Unfortunately, I could not get it to export into pdf. (Yes, i set the path for ghostscript; Yes, i have a good copy of ghostscript; Yes, i have used this program before; Yes, i tried (successfully) to export to eps and png). Seems like something in the program doesn't like (or work) the path for ghostscript.

Regardless of all of that; I really liked what I saw. It will make a great Quest Maker for a lot of people out there. Thank you for the hard work!!

-Phoenix

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
The Great
Phoenix

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Tott » March 30th, 2011, 8:17 am

nice to see that heroscribe is being worked on! this is a very nice tool. my big wish is to be able to incorporate new icons of my own. could that be possible?
Tott

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Big Bene » March 31st, 2011, 5:31 am

The main probelm I had with the - otherwise great - original HeroScribe, because of which I tinkered togeteher my own solution Questbook.doc, was the handling of the symbols already put in the map - i. e. the impossibility of drag&drop, copy&paste, manipulate, rotate or easily delete them.
To include this would be a great improvement to Heroscribe.
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Derfel Link » April 2nd, 2011, 5:16 am

Hi elguapo, thanks for the kind words spent on us and our work, we're happy to know HeroScribe keeps growing, and that keeps it free under the terms of the GNU GPL 2.
Good luck on your project!
Cheers

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Derfel Link

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Forum Language: Italiano
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby elguapo » April 4th, 2011, 5:33 pm

Thanks for the positive response everyone. I just posted an update to HeroScribe Enhanced.

The following EXPORT enhancements were made:

Export to PDF (high quality) will include the wandering monster icon and places the wandering monster text in a position more consistent with the original quest book
    Export to PDF (high quality) will now generate one page per board if a quest has multiple boards. Each page includes the quest text.
    *NEW* Export to PDF (low quality) will generate a pdf file without requiring Ghostscript. The image quality isn't as good, but if you are having issues with the high quality export, this should be a good alternative.
    Export to PDF Thumbnail will generate the pdf the old way, with all boards together on one page.
    Export to EPS will now generate one page per board if a quest has multiple boards. Each page includes the quest text. Since technically EPS files are for use within other programs, multiple page support may not work in all EPS viewers. GSView seems to handle the files ok.
    Added detailed error messages with exports to help track down any issues.

Some of the things I want to do but haven't had a chance to dig into yet:

Use real HeroQuest fonts in the export
    Allow for direct editing on the gameboard instead of only the control panel on the left.

As always, please let me know of any bugs you find or other enhancements that would be useful.

Thanks

El Guapo
elguapo

Hero:

Postby pemcode » May 26th, 2019, 3:15 am

Is the source code to HeroScribe Enhanced available somewhere?

I'm interested in the quest text GUI and XML support (not the PDF support).

Oops I guess I found it... The release includes src.rar
please contact me if you have significant skill + time to help with HeroQuest for UE4: http://mepem.com/pemcode/?cat=14
pemcode

Skeleton
Skeleton

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby SSDecontrol » August 15th, 2019, 4:41 pm

The link for the download no longer works. Can some please share? Much appreciated!
SSDecontrol

Goblin
Goblin

Hero:

Postby Anderas » August 15th, 2019, 5:06 pm

You can find the original heroscribe under heroscribe.org

Once I finished my version, probably next life, I will find a way to share mine.

Until then, the best version is I stratosvx' Signature. Don't install. Just unzip.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby SSDecontrol » August 15th, 2019, 5:56 pm

I was able to locate HeroScribe however I am specifically looking for HeroScribe Enhanced. I wanted to add my own Quest Name, Quest Speech, and Quest Notes, etc.
SSDecontrol

Goblin
Goblin

Hero:

Next

Return to Quests and Quest Packs