• Advertisement
HeroGM Advanced Soundboard

Dive into the dimension of dynamic sound with Hero GM!
Free version available! Save 10% on full version with offer code "yeoldeinn"

[Quest Pack] [7 Quests] - The Spawn of Chaos

Discuss Quest creation and share Quests/Quest Packs you've created.

[Quest Pack] [7 Quests] - The Spawn of Chaos

Postby Tott » Thursday March 3rd, 2011 5:57am

Games workskop does a very cool looking piece called Sigvald the Magnificent. http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440108a&prodId=prod1550008 the look, the character bio, everything about him is just brilliantly evil. i really wanted to use him in Heroquest but i thought it would be a shame to use him in just one quest. I like a good villain to be memorable, long lasting, to use him sparingly at first, while still keeping him in the players attention before a final 'encounter' that was just a tad on the epic side.
Image
The Sigvald piece isn't 100% necessary for this quest line, the chaos wizard can be used instead (the first quest where he appears with a chaos wizard is just for flavour, you dont actualy 'need' a miniature there) but come on, look at him! you know you want to! :p

I also wanted to do something a bit different for heroquest and add event triggers, story telling elements and quest progression to item and spell cards.
the three artefacts in this don't actually do anything, they're purely plot devices. combining the first two artefacts together creates the third artefact (in effect destroying the original two) and Sigvalds final spell is what you need to 'force' him to cast to complete the quest.

As a difficulty level, I haven't play tested this. characters will definitely have needed to have completed the core set and probably KK and WK as well.

comments and criticism welcome, hope you like!

[A group of four Heroes should have at least finished through both Kellar's Keep and Return of the Witch Lord before playing this Quest Pack.

Additional components needed: +0-1 Chaos Warriors, +1 Fimir (from Kellar's Keep)
4 coffin tiles (from Return of the Witch Lord), +1 cupboard, 1 iron entrance door (from KK, Mage of the Mirror, or RotWL), +5 open doors, throne room tile (from RotWL)
Chaos Spell Cards (from NA Game System)
Artifacts: Ebon Pearl, Vial of Ancient Elven Blood, Vulnerable Crimson Pearl (from appendix)
Sigvard Spells: phase 1, phase 2, phase 3 (from appendix) -edit]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Daedalus on Wednesday May 16th, 2018 1:43pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Added list
User avatar
Tott

Necromancer
Necromancer
 
Posts: 326
Joined: Thursday June 24th, 2010 7:01am
Location: London, England.
Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: [Quest Pack] [7 Quests] The Spawn of Chaos

Postby Ryno » Thursday March 3rd, 2011 12:33pm

Wow, I just read through the whole quest book and that was excellent!! I'm really into the story, the concept, the phases of fighting Sigvald and how the Epilogue turned out! Without giving away the ending, I love how this could possibly be left open for more! I almost wish it was all one quest because I want to play it right now! And yes that mini is amazing.
User avatar
Ryno

Mummy
Mummy
 
Posts: 75
Joined: Sunday August 8th, 2010 5:57am
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: [Quest Pack] [7 Quests] The Spawn of Chaos

Postby darthjason » Thursday March 3rd, 2011 1:01pm

Unlike Ryno, I haven't read the whole thing, but I did look it over and I liked what I saw. I'm also working on a quest pack that has a villian that last for more than just one quest. Mine will involve a vampire, probably this dude --> http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/vamp/latest/14016, as well as some less powerfull vampires and some wearwolves. There will be silver weapons which can be used to force wearwolves to re-roll any number of defence dice once per attack, and holy water which can be used like a potion to force any undead foe to roll one less defence. I'm actualy thinking about having the main boss apear in an earlier quest pack, maybe one in which the heroes kill Zargon, and this vamp takes over as the new big bad in town.
anyway sorry for going off on a tangent, it looks like you've given this one a lot of thought and i look forward to playing your quest pack, my only critism would be (not aimed at you, but rather at GW) that $15 is a lot for just one mini. so when i play your quest pack i will be using either a mini i alread have from heroscape or find one that i can get for less
Just say "No" to Chaos Magic.
User avatar
darthjason

Orc
Orc
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Tuesday November 17th, 2009 10:06pm
Location: Idaho, USA
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: [Quest Pack] [7 Quests] The Spawn of Chaos

Postby gravaillon » Thursday March 3rd, 2011 1:16pm

very quick look on your quest pack... It looks very complete and also new ! If you know my remastered edition of the official quests pack, you know how I can serve your project... I can make the cards, new tiles & a great PDF book in colour, with coloured quest map... But, only when your quests were tested... So if you're interested in my help, I will enjoy !
See my remastered edition of Heroquest and all the Quest Books on http://www.heroquest-reloaded.blogspot.com
User avatar
gravaillon

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman
 
Posts: 366
Images: 35
Joined: Monday December 6th, 2010 3:23pm
Location: Angers, France
Forum Language: Français
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: [Quest Pack] [7 Quests] The Spawn of Chaos

Postby Tott » Thursday March 3rd, 2011 6:12pm

Ryno wrote:Wow, I just read through the whole quest book and that was excellent!! I'm really into the story, the concept, the phases of fighting Sigvald and how the Epilogue turned out! Without giving away the ending, I love how this could possibly be left open for more! I almost wish it was all one quest because I want to play it right now! And yes that mini is amazing.


oh im already planning the sequel, i have some ideas.... ;)
User avatar
Tott

Necromancer
Necromancer
 
Posts: 326
Joined: Thursday June 24th, 2010 7:01am
Location: London, England.
Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: [Quest Pack] [7 Quests] The Spawn of Chaos

Postby Tott » Thursday March 3rd, 2011 6:16pm

darthjason wrote:Unlike Ryno, I haven't read the whole thing, but I did look it over and I liked what I saw. I'm also working on a quest pack that has a villian that last for more than just one quest. Mine will involve a vampire, probably this dude --> http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/vamp/latest/14016, as well as some less powerfull vampires and some wearwolves. There will be silver weapons which can be used to force wearwolves to re-roll any number of defence dice once per attack, and holy water which can be used like a potion to force any undead foe to roll one less defence. I'm actualy thinking about having the main boss apear in an earlier quest pack, maybe one in which the heroes kill Zargon, and this vamp takes over as the new big bad in town.
anyway sorry for going off on a tangent, it looks like you've given this one a lot of thought and i look forward to playing your quest pack, my only critism would be (not aimed at you, but rather at GW) that $15 is a lot for just one mini. so when i play your quest pack i will be using either a mini i alread have from heroscape or find one that i can get for less


interesting, i have a few more quest packs im working on, one involves vampires and another werewolves!
User avatar
Tott

Necromancer
Necromancer
 
Posts: 326
Joined: Thursday June 24th, 2010 7:01am
Location: London, England.
Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: [Quest Pack] [7 Quests] The Spawn of Chaos

Postby Jaguar69 » Thursday March 3rd, 2011 8:54pm

Excellent work Tott!! As my group is still on the original game system, we are a long way off this yet! where would you say this fits into the story arc - 'canon' -of HQ which incorporates a lot of hombrew quest packs now.

'As a difficulty level, I haven't play tested this. characters will definitely have needed to have completed the core set and probably KK and WK as well'
As you said it may me difficult enough to fit in after RotWL and before Against the Ogre Horde?
User avatar
Jaguar69

Mummy
Mummy
 
Posts: 84
Joined: Friday January 21st, 2011 7:46pm
Location: Suffolk, UK
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: [Quest Pack] [7 Quests] The Spawn of Chaos

Postby drathe » Friday March 4th, 2011 2:12am

There's quite a bit about this Quest pack that I really like. Especially how the introductions changed half-way through. I won't post all the other details as they may be spoilers. But I can say this:

Fun villain, a conclusion with several possibilities for sequels/spin-offs and a few twists throughout that are rarely done, if ever. Excellent work!
Image


Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
User avatar
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper
 
Posts: 2922
Images: 103
Joined: Saturday August 16th, 2008 2:55pm
Location: Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada
Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Re: [Quest Pack] [7 Quests] The Spawn of Chaos

Postby darthjason » Friday March 4th, 2011 3:32am

Tott wrote:interesting, i have a few more quest packs im working on, one involves vampires and another werewolves!

my plan is to incorperate them both into one questpack. for the werewolves i have some cool figures from heroscape that should do nicely as long as i dont use more than 3 werewolves or 4 if you count a boss. i probably wont get around to making this one for a while seeing as how half my group are on the last to quests of the game system and the other half is about half way through or just starting up. however i do have a single quest expansion already made that takes place right after the main game system. here's a preview:
Gaze of the Gorgon
Read to the Heroes:
“After defeating the Witch Lord and being named Champions by the Emperor, you decide to celebrate at the Red Dragon Inn. After a few drinks and a couple rounds of gambling, Agin, the innkeeper, comes over to congratulate you. While speaking with the innkeeper, he asks if you’ve heard tale of the terrible fate that befell the town of Sanderton. He proceeds to tell you that every man, woman, and child in and around Sanderton has been turned to stone and that any who venture near suffer the same fate. It is rumored that Seduma the gorgon, believed to be in the service of Zargon/Morcor, is the one responsible and that she has taken up residence in the mayor’s house in town. Sanderton is right along the main supply route to the Emperor and his army fighting at Black Fire Pass and no more troops can be spared to save the town and reopen the supply route. The Emperor is therefore offering a reward of 2000 gold coins to anyone who brings him the head of Seduma and lifts the foul curse over Sanderton.”
i'll begin a new thead for this one after i've play tested it. i expect it to be a hard one and i'll include photos of my group playing it. ps, you'll need 4 men-at-arm (or substitute figures) for this quest. everything else need for this one is in the main set
Just say "No" to Chaos Magic.
User avatar
darthjason

Orc
Orc
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Tuesday November 17th, 2009 10:06pm
Location: Idaho, USA
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: [Quest Pack] [7 Quests] The Spawn of Chaos

Postby Tott » Thursday March 10th, 2011 11:10am

Jaguar69 wrote:Excellent work Tott!! As my group is still on the original game system, we are a long way off this yet! where would you say this fits into the story arc - 'canon' -of HQ which incorporates a lot of hombrew quest packs now.

'As a difficulty level, I haven't play tested this. characters will definitely have needed to have completed the core set and probably KK and WK as well'
As you said it may me difficult enough to fit in after RotWL and before Against the Ogre Horde?


hmm, I think story-wise it could fit in at any point after witch lord and kelllars keep - but ideally after wizards of morcar and ogre horde. sigvald has been a busy bee, but he got away with most of his activities largely undetected because morcar and mentor have been too pre-occupied with each other...

thanks to everyone else for their positive comments, it was very nice to hear so much enthusiasm for this. im quite happy with the way Spawn of Chaos turned out and hopefully i'll have a new quest pack - The Lost City, ready for posting soon!
User avatar
Tott

Necromancer
Necromancer
 
Posts: 326
Joined: Thursday June 24th, 2010 7:01am
Location: London, England.
Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Next

Return to Quests and Quest Packs

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests