• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

[Group Quest] - Poltergeist

Discuss Quest creation and share Quests/Quest Packs you've created.

[Group Quest] - Poltergeist

Postby Eudoxio » February 6th, 2022, 5:18 pm

Here is the updated version for HQ2021 of an old forgotten quest...
https://imgur.com/a/LJ4qfff

Includes a full set of cards for the quest on the link. But you can fully play just with the map.
Requires Heroquest Game System, no quest packs needed.

As Zargon, dont reveal anything to the heroes to avoid spoiling the surprise.

Prepare your heroes for a spooky experience to play between campaigns.
Will they find the mystery of the inn? :D

Spanish version https://imgur.com/a/mXKJAU5

Poltergeist V2 map

Sample card
Last edited by Eudoxio on February 16th, 2022, 3:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Eudoxio

Orc
Orc

Forum Language: Español
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: [Group Quest] - Poltergeist

Postby Kurgan » February 6th, 2022, 5:32 pm

Cool ideas! Thanks for sharing.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby lestodante » February 6th, 2022, 6:33 pm

that painted bookcase you usedon the card is awesome!

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Eudoxio » February 6th, 2022, 6:59 pm

lestodante wrote:that painted bookcase you usedon the card is awesome!

Check the rest of the cards, on the main link is the full set :D

I found darth tom's furniture, and it was a match made in heaven for this quest :D

https://darthtomsgaming.wordpress.com/2020/01/12/bookcase-from-classic-heroquest/
https://darthtomsgaming.wordpress.com/?s=heroquest
Eudoxio

Orc
Orc

Hero:

Postby CavemanLogic » February 16th, 2022, 5:40 am

Interesting Quest mechanics. I really like it.

I do have a couple questions on how the Poltergeist Quest works though:

A.... The Goblin will not attack until being attacked. Once defeated, at the end of the heroes' turn, the bookcase in the next room will be the first piece of furniture to move, blocking the door.

What happens if the Heroes do not attack the Goblin (as it appears to be a frightened, defenseless creature)? What counts as "defeating" the Goblin? Killing it? Or leaving it alone and leaving the room? If so, does the Bookcase move when the first Hero leaves the room, or when the last one leaves?

----------

B.... If there are any heroes in its path, they receive 1 Body Point and move to the marked space (B).

By "receive 1 Body Point" I assume that means they "receive 1 Body Point of damage," not "heal 1 Body Point."

----------

C.... Place all the Secret Door tiles and 4 Locked Doors (See furniture 1) on the marked doors on the board, they close and start moving. Place a Pit Trap on the wall instead...

So, I take it that only the four doors closest to the entrance (the ones showing half a Pit Trap) are the regular doors that move? I don't understand how the three Secret Doors are supposed to function at this point. Are they supposed to become closed doors which are possessed as well? And are you supposed to place a Pit Trap on the wall where they were originally located as well?

----------

How does the the Poltergeist attack?

-Attack:
6 Attack Dice, defense with Body Points.
3 Ranged Attack Dice, defense with Mind Points.

How do Heroes defend, exactly? Considering the adjacent attack (6 Attack Dice), do Heroes *defend* with Attack Dice equal to their current Body Points (or possibly their starting Body Points)? Or do they defend with the number of Attack Dice given by their armor and other equipment, and take *Damage* in Body Points?

Similarly with the Poltergeist's Ranged Attack / Mind Points. Do they *defend* with their current Mind Points, or do they take *Damage* in Mind Points?

The "Defense with Body/Mind Points" text seems to be throwing me off.

----------

The Possession spell: is there any sort of "Saving Throw" that the possessed Hero gets to roll to become dispossessed? Similar to the Chaos/Dread spell Command, where the Hero rolls one red die each turn and breaks the spell by rolling a six.

Let me know if I am understanding the Possession spell correctly: The Heroes are forced to kill one of their own party (not knowing that the possessed Hero will come back with 1 Body Point). And they may have to do as much as eight points of damage to a possessed Barbarian, and the Poltergeist will only take one single point of damage from that, is that correct? The spell states "the others must attack him and he must defend himself," so the Hero uses their own Defense value (not the Poltergeist's 4 Defense Dice with a single :blackshield: blocking all damage), correct?

Without having played the Quest yet, it just *seems* a bit overpowered that the possessed Hero needs to be dropped down to zero Body Points. Has it seemed balanced when playtesting the Quest? I may be inclined to house rule that the Hero becomes dispossessed when they are dropped to two or fewer Body Points.

----------

Furniture attack questions:

3. Throne: *When moving, it tramples 1 hero, up to the maximum of its movement (12) then rolls 1 Red Dice to throw the hero that number of squares in a straight line...

How does the Bold text work? Does it move and drag the Hero with it? Or does it simply stop moving once it reaches the Hero? If it reaches a Hero after moving five squares, does it "trample" the Hero seven times (i.e. does it move and/or trample the Hero a combination of 12 times to equal its 12 movement)? Does the act of "trampling a Hero" do any damage? Does it throw the Hero in *any* direction, or only in the direction it was moving when it reached the Hero?

5. Cupboard: *It traps a hero by jumping on him...

Does a trapped Hero get an attack, or are they stuck inside, unable to take any actions? Well, it looks like they are able to at least perform the Cast a Spell action, since it is stated that they can use the "Pass Through Rock" spell to escape.

7. Sorcerer's Table: *Attacks with water, wind, and earth spells...

Does the Sorcerer's Table use Water, Wind, and Earth spells which have already been cast and discarded by the Heroes? Or does it receive a duplicate set? Does it get one of each spell, or can it cast the same spell multiple times?

9. Fireplace: *Attacks with fire spells...

Same questions as the Sorcerer's Table above.

10. Bookcase: :skull: Each skull makes 1 direct Body Point... It only does ranged attacks...

Does the first part mean each skull does one unblockable Body Point of damage? Regarding ranged attacks: does that mean it can't attack a Hero that is adjacent to it (assuming the Bookcase's ranged attack works similar to the Crossbow where it may not attack adjacent Heroes)? Which part of the Bookcase do you use to figure the ranged attack from (it takes up three squares on the gameboard)? For example, if the Hero is adjacent to the middle square, can Zargon choose one of the end squares to originate the ranged attack from? Example 2: if the Hero is standing at one end of the Bookcase, can the Bookcase then not attack the Hero, since it would not have Line of Sight to the Hero from a square that was not adjacent to that Hero?

----------

Thanks for the Quest!

Cheers!
CavemanLogic

Zombie
Zombie

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon

Postby Eudoxio » February 16th, 2022, 1:14 pm

CavemanLogic wrote:Interesting Quest mechanics. I really like it.
I do have a couple questions on how the Poltergeist Quest works though:

Hey Caveman, since im not the original creator of the quest, i can only imagine, and maybe i lost something on the translation, the original image files are erased from the internet, and i had to rework it only from the text and a youtube video of people playing it, i just did a couple of additions but heres my thoughts on it :)

https://heroquest.es/index.php?topic=10891.0 This is the original quest post and the video is down that same thread, its in spanish tho.

A: The heroes need to kill the goblin for the event to start, maybe i can add something for zargon to say like many lights came out the goblin's body, to start the "furniture event"?

B: Translation fail my bad, yeah it should say 1 Body point of Damage

C: I added the line that secret doors open, to show them on the map if the heroes haven't found all, and to have the chests inside the secret rooms available to zargon and for the heroes to find them and kill/loot them, since apart for the ending reward, they are a source of extra gold in this quest. When the "door event" happens, the secret doors just open to free the chests but dont move. Maybe i can explain it better here?
The 4 marked doors are the ones that come "alive" since the base game only has 5 closed doors, the door C and those 4.

Poltergeist attacks: Yeah maybe i can explain it better here. It should be Melee attack as a regular attack with heroes using their defense values (armor included). And ranged attack, the hero defends with the number of dice equal to their mind points, but the damage done is on body points.

Possession spell: You got it right, there's no saving throw, i see it kinda like a phase 2 of the combat to put the heroes fighting themselves, the possessed hero uses his values to fight, yeah, and if the hero is a magic user, it can even heal himself. I think on the original quest is just zargon who uses the hero, but i was thinking that will be boring for that player. Maybe i can change it that zargon moves the hero and the player makes the dice rolls?
I have not play tested it myself yet, just what i see on the video, but if the heroes realize quickly they need to reach back to the central room following the lights, this quest relies mostly on that final combat.

Throne: It moves and when trample happens it carries a hero on top of it then throws it a Red Dice number of squares. So heres an example :)
[T] [] [] [H] [] [] [] [] ; move
[] [T] [] [H] [] [] [] [] ; move
[] [] [T] [H] [] [] [] [] ; move
[] [] [] [T+H] [] [] [] [] ; trample
[] [] [] [] [T+H] [] [] [] ; move with hero
[] [] [] [] [] [T+H] [] [] ; move with hero
[] [] [] [] [] [T] [] [H] [] ; throw with roll 2

Cupboard: The hero should be stucked inside without actions on its turn until cupboard is defeated, only exception if it has the "pass through rock" spell, the hero can use to scape.

Sorcerer and Fireplace: They have the full set of spells, and each spell should be discarded after 1 use.

Bookcase: Yes, they are direct unblockable attacks, it throws books xD.
On the ranged, imagine the bookcase on the center of a room, this should be the attack reach and beyond, and the safe area around it.
[X][X][S][S][S][X][X]
[X][S][B][B][B][S][X]
[X][X][S][S][S][X][X]
B:bookcase S:safe square X:ranged attack reach

I've updated the image with a couple of changes on the text, any new thoughts on it are always welcome :)
Eudoxio

Orc
Orc

Hero:

Return to Quests and Quest Packs