• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Plague of Zombies - thoughts

Discuss Quest creation and share Quests/Quest Packs you've created.

Plague of Zombies - thoughts

Postby The Admiral » April 29th, 2019, 8:07 am

This quest has been recreated off the back of the Adventure Design Kit by Pheonix. I have the following points to make:
1) Note B of the original is quite clear that the Hero is teleported to room A, not room C. There is no info as to what is in the right hand chest, and Holy Water and 50gc seem a reasonable guess.
2) There is no wandering monster on the original, and so Pheonix went for a zombie. This is a reasonable assumption, but further research has shown that on the Dutch version of this quest on the back of their box, it is 2 Zombies, so I think these should be the wandering monsters for the quest.
3) There is no text for Note D in the original. Pheonix has filled in the blanks in a quite reasonable way, but there were no Body Points in EU HQ at this time; even the Witch Lord had only 1BP! And no spells. Therefore his stats are fine as written, but he should have only 1BP. With no system spells at this time in the EU HQ world, I believe his powers are written into the quest via the resurrection rules, and these powers should end on his death.
4) This just leaves Note C. The positioning of the 'C' would indicate that the note has something to do with either the Mummies or the Coffins. I'm going to go with something being in the coffins as there is otherwise no special quest treasure in this quest other than that which has already been added in by Pheonix. 150gc or a Potion of healing, or both?

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Plague of Zombies - thoughts

Postby lestodante » April 30th, 2019, 7:42 pm

You are right, this quest was originally copied from the back of the box to a heroscribe map by Legolas77, an italian heroquester that is no more active since a lot of years and later adapted to a NA version by Phoenix and Slev.
Legolas77 took some decision on his own and stated that there must be a mistake on the notes and changed the teleport to room C instead of A.
My opinion is that the notes or the quest itself was incomplete for the same reasons you listed above, plus if you check the map the central south corridor leads to an exit door!
I did a remake of the quest last november: Plague of Zombies IT and put 100 gold coins and a healing potion to be found in room C.
But a sequel is required in my opinion and some special artifact in the tombs of room C!

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » May 1st, 2019, 3:47 am

Very nice Lestodante. We both thought of something very similar for room C. My Italian is not very good, unlike your English, although 'prego' seems to get me quite far in most circumstances. Did you put anything in the chest of room B? I think you are right to stick with teleportation to room A. It is quite possible that this room will have been cleared before, and if not, the other Heroes will know where to go to help out. Room C is a big ask for a single Hero, and the others will take time to assist. I like my Heroes to suffer, but not to die needlessly.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Spookyhappyfun » May 1st, 2019, 9:25 am

I hadn't looked too closely at it, but you're right. Room C seems like it's almost an instant kill for a single Hero, especially a newer one. I'm gonna make these changes on my version.

Thanks!

Rewards:
Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Spookyhappyfun

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » June 30th, 2019, 11:14 pm

Anybody got an English translation of this new version?

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby lestodante » July 5th, 2019, 2:49 pm

you can download the Phoenix and Slev version here: http://heroquestbyphoenix.yeoldeinn.com ... nloads.php
Is this what you mean?

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Pancho » July 6th, 2019, 7:52 am

I don’t think this quest is suitable for new Heroes. Too many monsters, even before you take into account that half of them respawn as zombies. Even if the teleported Hero goes to room A, there are potentially even more monsters than room C because the orcs will return as undead. Room A is more survivable only on the chance that it was cleared earlier by the whole party.
I’d put this quest between RotWL & AtOH, and see the baddie as being one of the Witch Lords associates that needs wrapping up before moving on.

Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges.
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby The Admiral » July 6th, 2019, 3:29 pm

As it came out between the base game and the WL/KK expansions, this is where I would place it. 4 Heroes who have completed the base 14 quests should be able to cope.

Rewards:
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Drew » July 6th, 2019, 4:02 pm

I agree with the Admiral. Or at least between KK and RotWL, it can kinda be used as an introduction to the massive use of the undead in the RotWL.
Drew

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Forum Language: Ελληνικά
Hero:

Postby Pancho » July 7th, 2019, 4:32 pm

I don’t like the idea of putting any quests before Kellar’s Keep (Helloooo, Heroes, your Emperor is besieged in a raggedy old castle with thousands of orcs about to jump over the Walls...), but I’m on board with Plague of Zombies coming after KK and before RotWL.

Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges.
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:

Next

Return to Quests and Quest Packs