• Advertisement

Ye Olde Inn is proudly hosted by

Proudly Hosted by MDD Hosting

Host your Website at MDD Hosting by clicking the logo above and Ye Olde Inn will receive a commission that we'll put toward keeping Ye Olde Inn online for everyone to enjoy!

[Preview] [Quest Pack] [12 Quests] - Lost Bretonnian Armoury

Discuss Quest creation and share Quests/Quest Packs you've created.

Re: Lost Bretonnian Armoury

Postby Gold Bearer » Tuesday August 29th, 2017 10:39am

I added a couple of things to the rules and tidied up the quest notes as well as making a few alterations to the heart finder axe quest. The elf should get three elf spells when he first trains not four. I'll sort that tomorrow.

The only slight problem with this quest is that the greenskins have taken their stuff but haven't thought to use the three quest treasure they heroes already have. I'll write into the intro something like 'teatering on the edge of consciousness you here a rough voice say "Don't nick their stuff! We need to put it away for the armour gitz or they'll be trouble".ImageImage
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Gold Bearer on Tuesday September 19th, 2017 10:22am, edited 10 times in total.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2454

Wanna learn martial arts? Check out my youtube channel, tutorials coming soon. By far my most popular video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ie6BkN-3E

Gateway to higher dimensions - DMT, Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtT6Xkk-kzk

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Postby knightkrawler » Tuesday August 29th, 2017 10:57am

There are some golden concepts and mechanics here.
That last quest's map looks like fun to play
and the overall idea to go on an artefact shopping spree is brilliant.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Gold Bearer » Tuesday August 29th, 2017 11:03am

Simple ideas tend to be the best. It was hard to judge the balance of these two quests but I think it should be okay. In the first one they don't have any equipment until towards the end but they can find a weapons rack before that to bring them back to their starting level and the second one is the first quest that they're champions so there needs to be a jump up in challenge.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Wanna learn martial arts? Check out my youtube channel, tutorials coming soon. By far my most popular video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ie6BkN-3E

Gateway to higher dimensions - DMT, Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtT6Xkk-kzk

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Re: [Preview] [Quest Pack] [12 Quests] - Lost Bretonnian Arm

Postby Gold Bearer » Tuesday September 5th, 2017 5:05am

This quest splits up the heroes so they're forced to make their way to the centre separately for the big fight at the end.

Tribute to by far my favourite official quest.

ImageImageImage
Aztec Talisman
Can be used by the elf or wizard and contains the three chaos sorcerer token spells. Roll a combat dice each time you use it, skull = can be used this time but can't be used again this quest, black shield = can't be used this turn -1MP and miss the rest of your turn.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Gold Bearer on Saturday September 23rd, 2017 10:02am, edited 13 times in total.

Rewards:
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Gold Bearer » Thursday September 7th, 2017 9:50am

I updated the main rules and also added something to the brewer's paradise rules, forest tombs note A. :D

I'm really happy with this one. I think it's easily the best quest I've come up with, it deserves a picture.
The Opal Blade now allows you to cast and attack in the same turn as well as steal spells, I need to update the card.
Last edited by Gold Bearer on Friday September 22nd, 2017 4:58am, edited 4 times in total.

Rewards:
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Gold Bearer » Wednesday September 13th, 2017 11:32am

I've added winning rules to the intro, if the EWP gets a full party wipe in a quest then the EWP wins the game, the only other thing that can happen is the heroes complete all the quests and they win. I just hope it's well balanced. They'll be able to buy potions after four quests and scrolls after eight. I'm going to add that you can enchant equipment for 20% of its value to protect it from spells and an apothecary kit equipment card so you can make your own potions when you find an alchemist's bench, skull you fail, white shield you make a random potion, black shield you make an unknown potion that's randomised when you drink it.

I want to start making this into a proper PDF quest book but I haven't got a clue how, maybe drathe will be kind enough to do it for me like he has for some others.

ImageImage
Last edited by Gold Bearer on Friday September 22nd, 2017 4:55am, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Daedalus » Thursday September 14th, 2017 2:12pm

Very nice work. I've added I'll soon be adding some links and stuff to the OP for downloaders. Monster range is sometimes written as a-b, where a is the max number of monsters in a single room or corridor section, while b is the total of one room or corridor section and any two adjacent areas that can be reasonably accessed from there by the Heroes. Feel free to adjust the numbers as you see fit.

I really like your wording of the NA zero Mind Points in-shock rule. Great thematic sense and better Wizard balance is gained from a simple no-other-action interpretation/modification. I've reasoned similarly, but am gonna use your incisive wording--or something damn close-in the future. |_P

Despite your many sensible LBA Rules! enhancements, most don't appear necessary to play the Quest Pack. While the more necessary rules should remain under LBA rules!, the bulk of them could be moved to a partner file/folder titled Optional Rules! As such rules can be added in individually, I'd think downloaders would appreciate a separately referenced and printed page. :2cents:

I have a few comments that may help out for a finished version:
Castle of Death:
G. Chaos Armour is mentioned in the chaos liche description. Though there isn't a card, capitalization leads me to believe it might be a Quest treasure. Though not absolutely necessary, I'd drop the capitalization and note the chaos liche wears armour that functions the same as the chaos armour in room F, or just restate the armor's benefit.
Since the magic book works as combined Chaos spells, it would be helpful (though not necessary) to reference the rule or mention how their special casting works in this note. [Also, Chaos Spell Scroll Cards are needed. -edit]
The Great Escape: It could help to add a note explaining how all the Heroes begin the Quest at their corresponding icons. Adding that Heroes start with spells would also be useful, as they need to know their options.
A. If a Hero affected by Pass Through Rock moves through just the south (lower) wall, he will be forced without equipment into at least 9 Goblins, 7 before potions can be had. That is a tall order, even without the two traps on the way. If the spell were instead to function normally, he could still backtrack to a safer area while scouting, showcasing the full usefulness spell. To prevent the possibility of a cowardly solo escape should the exit be discovered, make both everybody's escape from their cells and escape from the lair the Quest goals in the Parchment Text.
B. Where are combined spell scroll and elf spell scroll files found? [Spell Scroll Cards are needed. -edit]
J. Since the NA Game System lacks the Holy Water treasure card, a card or two out of a set needs to be printed by NA GS owners. Instead, I'd suggest an addition to this entry similar to the vial of Sacred Water note found in Quest 2 of the NA version of RotWL: This liquid may be used to cause 3 Body Points of damage to any Skeleton, Zombie or Mummy.
Into the Swamps: since the NA GS lacks a Holy Water treasure card, keep in mind the Swamp Zombies will be a bit more deadly. Maybe include a vial or two in the chests at Room C.
B. Since the Weapons Rack is removed after a search, does that mean the Potion of Alchemy can't be used here should the Heroes think to return afterwards for a weapon? Seems like they need to be lucky to search here second.
H. I think it would be helpful to add a note about Chaos armor function like that of Room G.

(This is getting long. I'll take up the other Quests later posts.)
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Slacker Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » Friday September 15th, 2017 10:58am

Thanks for the feedback Deadalus, I don't have time right now to reply to each point individually, I'll reply tomorrow but I'm go through it to do a tidy up after the last quest is done, that's this one.ImageImage
Last edited by Gold Bearer on Tuesday October 3rd, 2017 7:43am, edited 9 times in total.

Rewards:
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Daedalus » Saturday September 16th, 2017 2:59am

Great to see you finishing the first drafts. My suggestions are there to help out. Naturally, I don't expect them all to be adapted in your excellent pack. They also serve a purpose for your interested downloaders/idea borrowers, as my questions and your answers address certain points, even if they aren't necessary for the Quests. Back to the comments:

Strength in Numbers: Since there are two stairs tiles, I'd add a note, preferably with another letter, immediately clarifying where the Heroes begin.
C: The long stairway tile in the east corner could stand to be moved 1 square south so a landing could approach it properly from the corner. Well, that would suit normal stairway design, anyway. I see how your current placement is a step in the right direction, to speak, but a corner curve in the notes could also keep the ball rolling.
E: You could do NA players a solid and provide a short d6 weapon table in this note. Otherwise, they need to print the Equipment Cards.
G. Combined Spell and Elf Spell Scroll Cards are needed.
Pallace of Mystery:
J: A d6 weapon table for NA players--what say you?
M: Should Ollar be represented by the Chaos Sorcerer (my guess), a Wraith, or some other figure? Maybe add a note or icon.
The Cursed Forest:
C. Where can the rules of a Deep Pit be found? Perhaps it should be changed to a Pit of Darkness from AotOH.
E. The boulder has all the hallmarks of a trap, so if a Hero triggers it at the "X", I assume the Hero's turn immediately ends. That means the door can't be opened and the triggering Hero will be displaced to the next open square when rolling for damage. I'd state as much.
G. The stone doors completely quarter this room into four separate rooms, so I'd add a room letter G to the other two sections containing Mummies.
Forest Tombs:
F. Combined Spell, Talisman Spell, and Elf Spell Scroll Cards are needed for this Quest.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Slacker Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » Saturday September 16th, 2017 5:17am

Daedalus wrote:Monster range is sometimes written as a-b, where a is the max number of monsters in a single room or corridor section, while b is the total of one room or corridor section and any two adjacent areas that can be reasonably accessed from there by the Heroes. Feel free to adjust the numbers as you see fit.
You mean for alternate monster types?

Daedalus wrote:I really like your wording of the NA zero Mind Points in-shock rule. Great thematic sense and better Wizard balance is gained from a simple no-other-action interpretation/modification. I've reasoned similarly, but am gonna use your incisive wording--or something damn close-in the future. |_P
Yea I added the no other actions to it. It's still not as concise as I'd like. Is drinking a potion an action, is opening doors? If they can't drink potions can other heroes basically pour it down their neck? I think the simplest way is just to add '... no other actions apart from drinking potions and opening doors'.

Daedalus wrote:Despite your many sensible LBA Rules! enhancements, most don't appear necessary to play the Quest Pack. While the more necessary rules should remain under LBA rules!, the bulk of them could be moved to a partner file/folder titled Optional Rules! As such rules can be added in individually, I'd think downloaders would appreciate a separately referenced and printed page. :2cents:
That's the plan because there's a few more I want to add to get them out of the quest notes, like spell books and rules for chest traps to make the tool kit more useful and I don't want the main rules to get too bogged down.

Daedalus wrote:Castle of Death:
G. Chaos Armour is mentioned in the chaos liche description. Though there isn't a card, capitalization leads me to believe it might be a Quest treasure. Though not absolutely necessary, I'd drop the capitalization and note the chaos liche wears armour that functions the same as the chaos armour in room F, or just restate the armor's benefit.
Daedalus wrote:H. I think it would be helpful to add a note about Chaos armor function like that of Room G.
Not a quest treasure, chaos armour is common enough to add to the main rules to cut down quest notes text.

Daedalus wrote:Since the magic book works as combined Chaos spells, it would be helpful (though not necessary) to reference the rule or mention how their special casting works in this note. [Also, Chaos Spell Scroll Cards are needed. -edit]
Combined chaos spells? Those would be too powerful. :) Yea I know what you mean, just a '(see main rules for using chaos scrolls)' as a reminder, same on a few other quests.

Daedalus wrote:The Great Escape: It could help to add a note explaining how all the Heroes begin the Quest at their corresponding icons.
Will be in the intro fluff.

Daedalus wrote:Adding that Heroes start with spells would also be useful, as they need to know their options.
They'll work out to ask, I'd rather not spell it out by explicity mentioning that they've still got spells. I need to figure out exactly how I'm going to handle that because if they're all in shackles then how does the one who passes through rock release the others? I did that because I didn't want them using genie.

Daedalus wrote:A. If a Hero affected by Pass Through Rock moves through just the south (lower) wall, he will be forced without equipment into at least 9 Goblins, 7 before potions can be had. That is a tall order, even without the two traps on the way. If the spell were instead to function normally, he could still backtrack to a safer area while scouting, showcasing the full usefulness spell. To prevent the possibility of a cowardly solo escape should the exit be discovered, make both everybody's escape from their cells and escape from the lair the Quest goals in the Parchment Text.
There's actually four objectives in this quest, escape the cells, find your equipment, get the Bretonnian weapon, find the way out. I wanted to avoid the scout around as far as possible use for pass through rock, that's how it's normally used anyway. If the choose the south wall then they'll only face two goblins before finding some equipment and freeing the other heroes as long as they search the room, the east wall is the most dangerous option. I do think this quest is the one that needs the most attention though because it could be far too difficult to survive, black orcs are tough as well.

Daedalus wrote:B. Where are combined spell scroll and elf spell scroll files found? [Spell Scroll Cards are needed. -edit]
I'll either make cards for them or a reference list. Cards would be nicer but it seems a but pointless when they could have multiples of the same scrolls anyway.

Daedalus wrote:J. Since the NA Game System lacks the Holy Water treasure card, a card or two out of a set needs to be printed by NA GS owners. Instead, I'd suggest an addition to this entry similar to the vial of Sacred Water note found in Quest 2 of the NA version of RotWL: This liquid may be used to cause 3 Body Points of damage to any Skeleton, Zombie or Mummy.
Into the Swamps: since the NA GS lacks a Holy Water treasure card, keep in mind the Swamp Zombies will be a bit more deadly. Maybe include a vial or two in the chests at Room C.
Daedalus wrote:E: You could do NA players a solid and provide a short d6 weapon table in this note. Otherwise, they need to print the Equipment Cards.
Daedalus wrote:Pallace of Mystery:
J: A d6 weapon table for NA players--what say you?
I'm going to do a separate US version with the yucky colour US style maps and everything. Thanks for the reminder that they don't have holy water, I'd have definitely forgotten that.

Daedalus wrote:B. Since the Weapons Rack is removed after a search, does that mean the Potion of Alchemy can't be used here should the Heroes think to return afterwards for a weapon? Seems like they need to be lucky to search here second.
No they can still use it, the weapons are still there, it was just to add to the flavour of the quest, decay and all that. I'll make that clearer. Using the potion on those weapons was an afterthought, I didn't think of it myself to start with.

Daedalus wrote:Strength in Numbers: Since there are two stairs tiles, I'd add a note, preferably with another letter, immediately clarifying where the Heroes begin.
I was trying to keep down the number of quest notes and was hoping the A close to the right stairs would be clear enough but it probably should be stated.

Daedalus wrote:C: The long stairway tile in the east corner could stand to be moved 1 square south so a landing could approach it properly from the corner. Well, that would suit normal stairway design, anyway. I see how your current placement is a step in the right direction, to speak, but a corner curve in the notes could also keep the ball rolling.
I was thinking of actually putting a curved corner on the map. A curved wall tile would be handy.

Daedalus wrote:M: Should Ollar be represented by the Chaos Sorcerer (my guess), a Wraith, or some other figure? Maybe add a note or icon.
The idea is that all the monsters can be represented with the standard figures so a wraith would be ideal but the chaos sorcerer would do almost as well. I might have pushed it a bit far with chaos cultists, acolytes and disciples being represented by chaos warriors but I wanted them in it.

Daedalus wrote:The Cursed Forest:
C. Where can the rules of a Deep Pit be found? Perhaps it should be changed to a Pit of Darkness from AotOH.
They are those. That's what I thought they were called but when I checked the AtOH quest I'm sure it said deep pit, maybe I was looking at an edited version. I'll change the name to pits of darkness.

Daedalus wrote:E. The boulder has all the hallmarks of a trap, so if a Hero triggers it at the "X", I assume the Hero's turn immediately ends. That means the door can't be opened and the triggering Hero will be displaced to the next open square when rolling for damage. I'd state as much.
I thought I did state that, I must have undone something in the text file and accidently undid that too. :roll:

Daedalus wrote:G. The stone doors completely quarter this room into four separate rooms, so I'd add a room letter G to the other two sections containing Mummies.
I need to add to the campaign rules that rooms separated by blocked tiles are considered separate rooms but rooms separated by doors aren't and you ned all the areas of room to be accessible to search it.

Daedalus wrote:Forest Tombs:
F. Combined Spell, Talisman Spell, and Elf Spell Scroll Cards are needed for this Quest.
Talisman spells are never needed, they're optional. The only reason I put them into the quests was because I want mercenary battle wizards as an option but I'll make an optional version of the battle wizards without those spells. It says in the quest notes that you can use two of each of the other types if you're not using talisman spells but I think I'll take talisman spells out of the quests, I want to keep the 'if you're not using this, use this' to a minimum.

Cheers for the feedback Deadalus. Very helpful. |_P

Rewards:
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to Quests and Quest Packs