• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

[Group Quest] - Defend the King

Discuss Quest creation and share Quests/Quest Packs you've created.

Re: [Group Quest] - Defend the King

Postby Daedalus » Friday September 1st, 2017 10:53am

j_dean80 wrote:Any monster can be chosen. The Wizards of Morcar do not have monster cards, therefore they are not "generic" monsters. They are more like special "bosses" named in a Quest. The Frozen Horror, on the other hand, does, so therefore can be used again.

That's right. I had forgotten that WoM doesn't contain Monster Cards for the wizard. I'm accustomed to viewing the Inn's WoM, where I saw drathe's wizard Monster Cards.

Still, facing the Frozen Horror even once is tough, as is a 10 BP Ogre or 8 AD Polar Warbear. I think a refinement on the number of monsters appearing could help with the strategy. I'd suggest the red dice roll summon BP worth of monsters rather than a flat number.

j_dean80 wrote:If the EWP really wants to kill off all the Heroes...he probably could succeed. I believe every EWP's job is to make it tough but not kill off everyone. Heroes who die often...stop playing. He needs to choose his monsters wisely.

I think this Quest sees it's fullest potential if Morcar/Zargon plays to win. If it's too easy for M/Z, adjust the difficulty by dropping one or more groups of monsters and play again until the Heroes pull out a win.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Gold Bearer » Friday September 1st, 2017 11:45am

Daedalus wrote:
j_dean80 wrote:If the EWP really wants to kill off all the Heroes...he probably could succeed. I believe every EWP's job is to make it tough but not kill off everyone. Heroes who die often...stop playing. He needs to choose his monsters wisely.
I think this Quest sees it's fullest potential if Morcar/Zargon plays to win. If it's too easy for M/Z, adjust the difficulty by dropping one or more groups of monsters and play again until the Heroes pull out a win.
This X a quadrillion! That goes for any quest. I wasn't going to mention it before because I'm starting to sound like a broken record but seeing as you did first. |_P
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » Saturday September 2nd, 2017 2:41pm

This Quest takes some tough Heroes. They wouldn't play it if really feared they were going to lose the Hero.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » Tuesday September 5th, 2017 4:59am

j_dean80 wrote:This Quest takes some tough Heroes. They wouldn't play it if really feared they were going to lose the Hero.
:shock: What? I wouldn't play if I thought for a second that the heroes weren't in danger of dying. Heroes are supposed to be able to die, that's why you keep track of BP, and why you play a game instead of reading a story. If the quest is too difficult then it needs to be toned down, not played to let the heroes win, that's insane!

Edit:
in my opinion.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby j_dean80 » Thursday September 7th, 2017 10:54pm

Gold Bearer wrote:
j_dean80 wrote:This Quest takes some tough Heroes. They wouldn't play it if really feared they were going to lose the Hero.
:shock: What? I wouldn't play if I thought for a second that the heroes weren't in danger of dying. Heroes are supposed to be able to die, that's why you keep track of BP, and why you play a game instead of reading a story. If the quest is too difficult then it needs to be toned down, not played to let the heroes win, that's insane!

Edit:
in my opinion.

Agree to disagree

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » Friday September 8th, 2017 9:25am

Why keep track of BP or even bother playing if there's no danger of dying? It's a game, the idea is to try to do you best, including the EWP. That's what makes it fun for the heroes as well. Once the quest starts it's game on, the heroes try to complete the quest and the EWP tries to stop them, that's fun! Trying not to kill the heroes makes it pointless for everyone. I'm not trying to be argumentative, I just really don't get that mentality.

Rewards:
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby j_dean80 » Friday September 8th, 2017 7:17pm

Gold Bearer wrote:Why keep track of BP or even bother playing if there's no danger of dying? It's a game, the idea is to try to do you best, including the EWP. That's what makes it fun for the heroes as well. Once the quest starts it's game on, the heroes try to complete the quest and the EWP tries to stop them, that's fun! Trying not to kill the heroes makes it pointless for everyone. I'm not trying to be argumentative, I just really don't get that mentality.

Keep track of BP cause the Heroes can and do sometimes die. The EWP's job is to keep the game flowing and fun. Make it tough on the Heroes, force them to use Healing Potions and Spells wisely. Anyone could just kill off all the Heroes, that is easy. Make a Quest with all Chaos Warriors and Gargoyles. Throw in some Chaos Sorcerers for good measure. That'll do the trick. Play the game and kill off every Hero every session. See how long they want to continue playing. I never said go easy on them and let them win. I just said the goal of the EWP should not be to kill off all the Heroes.

Rewards:
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby cynthialee » Friday September 8th, 2017 9:44pm

It is the EWP job to present a fair and winnable dungeon, but to also do their best to stomp the heroes into the ground if the opportunity presents itself.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Gold Bearer » Saturday September 9th, 2017 7:17am

j_dean80 wrote:Keep track of BP cause the Heroes can and do sometimes die. The EWP's job is to keep the game flowing and fun. Make it tough on the Heroes, force them to use Healing Potions and Spells wisely. Anyone could just kill off all the Heroes, that is easy. Make a Quest with all Chaos Warriors and Gargoyles. Throw in some Chaos Sorcerers for good measure. That'll do the trick. Play the game and kill off every Hero every session. See how long they want to continue playing. I never said go easy on them and let them win. I just said the goal of the EWP should not be to kill off all the Heroes.
You misunderstand, I don't mean it's EWP's job to kill the heroes when designing a quest, of course not. The idea is to create quests that the EWP can play to the best of their ability making it challenging but easily doable for the heroes. When I'm playing as a hero the last thing I want is to play against an EWP who isn't even trying to win, what's the point? I wouldn't waste my time playing, can't even call it playing, being told a very boring and slow story. It's a game.

cynthialee wrote:It is the EWP job to present a fair and winnable dungeon, but to also do their best to stomp the heroes into the ground if the opportunity presents itself.
:) Nice to see you're coming round.

Rewards:
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby j_dean80 » Saturday September 9th, 2017 9:56am

Gold Bearer wrote:
j_dean80 wrote:Keep track of BP cause the Heroes can and do sometimes die. The EWP's job is to keep the game flowing and fun. Make it tough on the Heroes, force them to use Healing Potions and Spells wisely. Anyone could just kill off all the Heroes, that is easy. Make a Quest with all Chaos Warriors and Gargoyles. Throw in some Chaos Sorcerers for good measure. That'll do the trick. Play the game and kill off every Hero every session. See how long they want to continue playing. I never said go easy on them and let them win. I just said the goal of the EWP should not be to kill off all the Heroes.
You misunderstand, I don't mean it's EWP's job to kill the heroes when designing a quest, of course not. The idea is to create quests that the EWP can play to the best of their ability making it challenging but easily doable for the heroes. When I'm playing as a hero the last thing I want is to play against an EWP who isn't even trying to win, what's the point? I wouldn't waste my time playing, can't even call it playing, being told a very boring and slow story. It's a game.

cynthialee wrote:It is the EWP job to present a fair and winnable dungeon, but to also do their best to stomp the heroes into the ground if the opportunity presents itself.
:) Nice to see you're coming round.

We are basically agreeing then. It does all depend on who the Heroes are being played by though. Kids = stop playing if they keep getting killed (have to go easier on them) new adults = maybe the same way (depending on the individual) seasoned adult = open season for the EWP

Rewards:
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to Quests and Quest Packs