• Advertisement

Ye Olde Inn is proudly hosted by

Proudly Hosted by MDD Hosting

Host your Website at MDD Hosting by clicking the logo above and Ye Olde Inn will receive a commission that we'll put toward keeping Ye Olde Inn online for everyone to enjoy!

[Quest Pack] [6 Quests] - Mound of the Beastmen

Discuss Quest creation and share Quests/Quest Packs you've created.

Re: Quest Pack - Mound of the Beastmen

Postby Daedalus » Monday May 8th, 2017 5:10pm

Pan wrote:The adventure continues…
The Mound of the Beastmen is a new non-official quest pack for the famous boardgame Heroquest, extending the epic adventure of the Champions of the Empire....

When should your Quest Pack be played? (I imagine after the original 14 Quests.)

Pan wrote:...Are there other rules that I have to change to make the US version working ?

I'd say you're in the clear. Searching takes a bit longer (no problem), but traps such as a Chaos Hound trap aren't automatically removed when discovered. That's okay, because the North American rules don't lay a tile when a pit trap is discovered. Instead, Zargon indicates the square and the Heroes must remember the location. Should a Hero forget and blunder into a trap, TOO BAD! Bottom line--it's not your problem.

By the way, can a tomb trap be disarmed (perhaps sealed)? Also, I noticed that Quest 2 calls for 8 Coffin Tiles (tombs), but the tile download sheet only contains 4. That means a relatively expensive second printing of a color page will be needed. With some rearranging, it should be possible to fit the other 4 Coffin Tiles on pages 1 and 3. Of course, most will already have spare Coffin Tiles from RotWL.

Line of sight matters for Spellcasters in a room, but it should work fine. Instead of finite equipment cards, multiples of equipment may be purchased in the Armory--should still work okay. Other minor differences aren't likely to come up or matter.

StratosVX wrote:
Count Mohawk wrote:Has the distribution of sides changed on any of the dice recently?
When last I checked, they were:

White: (As original)
[dice][/dice]Green: Skull | Skull | Shield | Shield | Shield | Walrus
Blue: Skull | Skull | Skull | Shield | Walrus | Walrus
Black: Skull | Skull | Skull | Skull | Shield | Walrus
Purple: Double Skull | Skull | Skull | Double Shield | Shield | Walrus
Orange: Double Skull | Double Skull | Skull | Double Shield | Double Walrus | Walrus
Yellow: Double Skull | Skull | Double Shield | Shield | Double Walrus | Walrus

The ones that have changed are:
Purple: Double Skull | Skull | Skull | Double Shield | Shield | Double Walrus
Orange: Double Skull | Double Skull | Double Shield | Double Shield | Walrus | Double Walrus

(A Walrus = Black Shield)

The swapping of a skull for a double black-shield on the new orange die will make the Beast Lord and lieutenants more durable while still retaining most of their punch. Should still work, just a bit tougher.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Slacker Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby The Admiral » Tuesday May 9th, 2017 4:38am

Daedalus wrote:Chaos Hound trap aren't automatically removed when discovered

I think they are according to how I read it. They are not really traps in a heroquest sense as they are intended for non intelligent beasts. If a Hero finds one by searing around it is easily 'disarmed' by just jabbing it with a sword. There is no intricate removal of a triggering mechanism. And once it is sprung it is just a harmless hunk of metal lying on the ground.
The Admiral

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » Tuesday May 9th, 2017 4:52am

Many a two-mind-points Barbarian has stumbled over a "harmless hunk of metal",
fumbled his roaring attack,
been knocked to one-mind-point,
shackled and gagged,
taken to a goblin pisshole
and raped by the five raging willies of a fimir warlord praying to strange swamp demons.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Figomurphy » Tuesday May 9th, 2017 8:46am

Fantastic quest pack. Well done to all involved. Outstanding.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges.
Figomurphy

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby thequester » Tuesday May 9th, 2017 12:34pm

Wow! Didn't see this quest pack until now. Looks utterly amazing! :o
Love the official-looking design, including the MB and GW logos!
Personally I would have written "Developed with" instead of "Developped with" above the Games Workshop logo ;) but otherwise brilliant work! :D
Well done! |_P

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Killed a mighty Fimir!
thequester

Orc
Orc

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » Tuesday May 9th, 2017 1:22pm

The Admiral wrote:
Daedalus wrote:Chaos Hound trap aren't automatically removed when discovered

I think they are according to how I read it. They are not really traps in a heroquest sense as they are intended for non intelligent beasts. If a Hero finds one by searing around it is easily 'disarmed' by just jabbing it with a sword. There is no intricate removal of a triggering mechanism. And once it is sprung it is just a harmless hunk of metal lying on the ground.

Yes, you read correctly. What I meant was in response to the trap syncing up with the NA rules for traps--something Pan asked about in general. As he wrote them, they work like EU spear traps. I was unsuccessfully trying to indicate a Chaos Hound trap must be disarmed from atop its square with an action, per the NA rules for any trap. The attempt could still automatically succeed, per Pan's intent, as long as the action was taken to disarm it by jabbing with a sword. Of course, Pan's trap can stand as is in an NA game as a special non-disarm exception, as well
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Slacker Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » Tuesday May 9th, 2017 3:28pm

Ah yes I see what you mean.
The Admiral

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » Saturday May 13th, 2017 2:09am

I have some feedback and questions about your Quests:

Quest 2: Does the evil Wisp, which can't be attacked and lacks a figure, prevent searches as a monster? (I guess yes.)
E) The Compendium states: "This door is obviously bolted and will not budge...." while Note E states: "...the door remains closed and no interaction through the door is possible..." However, spell casting Heroes often save Genie and Pass Through Rock spells for emergencies. It seems either spell, which are meant to work around impassable doors, could thwart this barrier and gain the Heroes access, even before the sentry is dispatched. I'd say more is needed, such as: "Any spell or artifact used to gain access to the room fails due to the magics within."
Quest 3: Published expansions include useful, in-game information about room tiles in the pertaining Quest Notes. As you've done a lot to emulate their formatting, I'd say the location with the Runic Room Tile could use is own note rather than needing a check of the introductory pages. It is possible to carve out enough page space with some reduction of text (let me know if you want my suggestions), but this is primarily my advice/opinion for any future Quest Packs.
E) While this entry works fine in conjunction with the Compendium, it fails to mention Vivigor's escape. If only the Quests are played (without the Compendium) the shaman is simply killed. The Parchment Text of the following Quest, "The vile Vivigor has managed to escape!..." would then match poorly. A fix could be to add to this note: "When defeated, he escapes by a hidden exit and can't be followed." This wouldn't help with making space for a Runic Room note, unfortunately. This is again guidance for future Quest Packs.
Quest 4: E) This note should mention the first Hero to search for treasure finds the Black Stone on Vivigor's body. Without the Compendium, there is no other way to make this crucial objective known.
Quest 5: As with Quest 3, I feel the Notes would benefit from entries for the Pit and Runic Rooms. You'd probably need 5 lines or more to pull it off. To do it, I'd number the doors and locks 1-3 and combine notes B-D as one entry. Entry F could also be shortened.
H) I'd change "Any Hero..." > The first Hero... because "Any" could be understood as more than one.
Quest 6: A) Without the Compendium, either the Parchment Text or this entry needs to explain how Sir Vardion takes possession of the Black Stone.
G) Sir Vardion is encountered both here and in room A, but with different stats. The Compendium makes it clear he is separated and then corrupted, but some kind of explanation is needed here if only the Quests are played. (Notes D and E could be combined to make the space.)

A lot of the comments are only relevant if the Compendium isn't used, but who would want to do that? Those story interludes make your Quests more immersive, unique, and in interesting. Rather than adding in all of the fixes, I'd say it would probably be best to make the Compendium necessary for play simpler to leave things as they are. Excellent work!
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Slacker Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:

Re: [Quest Pack] [6 Quests] - Mound of the Beastmen

Postby knightkrawler » Saturday May 13th, 2017 5:57am

Myself, I'm pretty pleased with my use of language and rhetoric and poetry and *lemony goodness* in those compendium entries.
But I don't wanna toot my own horn. Well, I would, but...
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: [Quest Pack] [6 Quests] - Mound of the Beastmen

Postby benvoliothefirst » Sunday May 14th, 2017 5:04pm

Pan, I am completely stunned by the amount of professional production work that has gone into this thing. I hope you're a graphic designer, otherwise you're depriving the graphics world of a true talent!

Having said that, I agree that "Barrow" has a more labyrinthine and treasure-hoardy connotation than "mound," which has been discussed. :) Now I'm torn between referring to it as Barrow of the Beastmen or Barrow of the Beastlord, which I think has a nice parallel to Return of the Witch Lord. No disrespect to the truly talented designer! Thanks to all involved.

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
benvoliothefirst

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext