• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

[Group Quest] - Perfect Vision

Discuss Quest creation and share Quests/Quest Packs you've created.

Re: Perfect Vision

Postby whitebeard » March 13th, 2016, 12:59 pm

I updated the quest (attached in the first post), let me know what you guys think.

Thanks to StratosVX's comments, I was finally able to get rid of the intro page completely!!!

And per Goblin King, I altered the traps and added dialogue to make it more about the players discovering the unique features rather than finding nothing at all.

I still need an artifact card which can be handed to the players without spoiling the exact nature of the amulet.
Has resigned from the forum and would delete his account if he could.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Count Mohawk » March 13th, 2016, 1:20 pm

whitebeard wrote:I still need an artifact card which can be handed to the players without spoiling the exact nature of the amulet.

You'll probably need to have two amulet cards, or maybe three: one while it seems to be a normal, innocuous amulet, and another when the Heroes discover its true nature (whether through rolling a 1 between quests or suffering its debilitating effects the hard way). Then the only hard part is to put a clause on the "innocuous" amulet telling the Heroes when to swap it for the "malignant" amulet, without thereby revealing its true nature. Maybe if the evil side is referred to just with a "(2)" or something...

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Marquis of Math
Count Mohawk

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby StratosVX » March 13th, 2016, 3:05 pm

You could put something in the comments of the card that says something like "The true nature of it's magic is may not be fully known" to hint that there's more. Or something that states that the true nature of the amulet is hidden to those without the proper knowledge. I would be inclined to do what Count Mohawk says and have a second card for after the Heroes discover the nature of the amulet. My thought on that aspect though is that the true card would only be given to the Hero with the necessary mind points. If the Barbarian is using the amulet, he would keep the original card, even if he were to die because of the amulet. The idea being that the Barbarian wouldn't be smart enough to figure out the amulet's true nature just by wearing it so he wouldn't know is bad luck is the amulet trying to get rid of him.

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Scribe of Heroes
StratosVX
I hate snakes, Jacques...

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby whitebeard » April 16th, 2016, 10:18 am

Ran this quest last night. It was fantastic.

The heroes (especially the younger ones) were not happy that they could still hit a traps even after they had searched for it. I puled out a card from the treasure deck to demonstrate that you can still hit a trap in a room in the normal game even if you have searched.

We had one more in the quest (a fifth hero who took an elf) and the wizard now has a spell book that helps him study more efficiently... he can carry all four spell groups. We randomly (roll) to select the elf spells. The heroes ended up with three Tempest spells! So I buffed Alekai with Firestorm and upped his healing draft to 4BP. It worked really well.

We agreed that consecutive Tempest spells would be "unfair"... Perhaps the Tempest does not completely dissipate in a small room in just one turn and if you cast it again nobody in that room would be able to do anything, which sounds like a reasonable plan moving forward. We need the bosses to attack at least once. And if it is a really tough boss, then tempest the first and third turn is almost as devastating.

Alekai lost 3 BP in the first room (fire spells and solid attack rolls)!! I used Firestorm then turned into a rat and scurried to the next room. The heroes walked around and by this time they had hit a number of the traps and few defended anything against the Firestorm. So it was not looking good for anybody, but they had 3 healing spells and a healing potion each, but they were concerned.

Alekai lost 2 more BP in the second room (Tempest again!). So he consumed the healing potion,and had only 3BP left. I was worried this would be too easy... When I got my big break, two of the heroes (wizard and elf) lined up against the bookcase/fireplace "Scooby-doo" spinning secret door. So I moved past them and activated the door, separating the party. This worked great. Even being hit with a third Tempest spell would not have been a problem, because the heroes could not gather together to effectively hit Alekai.

Then luck my really changed. The dwarf being stuck on the other side of the secret door, just decided he would jump in the magic portal!!! So he was teleported to the monster pit with no exit. Then the barbarian figured out he could rescue him with the ring of return, and jumped in after him!!!

Alekai evaded and attacked really well from this point on. Defending with 3 dice and white shields and the 1 hit for every 3 rule made it VERY hard for the two elves and wizard to score any damage. Even after the third Tempest was cast. The healing spells were used, the healing potions started to go as well. It was a long time before the other two caught back up to the group.

With 2 BP left, Alekai used his Escape spell and I placed him instead exactly opposite the door, so that he would have a clean shot with the Lightning spell, at all 5 of the heroes lined up in the hallway. But the wizard was too smart (although he did not see Lightning coming!) he cast Veil of Mist on the Barbarian and had the other elf use Pass through Rock to walk around. But on my turn I cooked three of them really well.

Four of the heroes attacked on the next turn and took Alekai down to 1BP. So I had him run back down the hallway , through the line of heroes and attack the wizard hiding at the rear. I "killed" him, but he was holding one of the party's last healing potions.

Then the dwarf in a single attack rolled 4 skulls and I rolled only one shield, so Alekai had breathed his last.

When searching for treasure, the original elf tripped an arrow from the wall trap and was killed, but saved himself with his earth spell heal body. And on the way out of the dungeon (the back door), the new elf was killed when he "slipped on a stone and fell into a perfectly placed piece of debris." Nobody was around and no healing potions left for him anyways. This was awesome! Technically Orc's bane and his equipment should have been lost. But there are no monsters in Alekai's home, proper, So I let them pick it up.

The Barbarian picked up the Amulet of Foresight and being that he must defend against it with his mind points, the heroes will very quickly figure out that they need to get rid of it. I will need to write a quest for that.
Has resigned from the forum and would delete his account if he could.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » October 8th, 2016, 2:31 pm

Good to see this Quest pull together. Can you add a link to the Amulet of Foresight Artifact Card(s) in the OP? Also, how equipped should the Heroes be for this?
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Previous

Return to Quests and Quest Packs