• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

[Tool] HeroTeX

Discuss Quest creation and share Quests/Quest Packs you've created.

Re: HeroTeX

Postby whitebeard » May 29th, 2015, 9:47 pm

Daedalus wrote:This is a nice option for sharing. Is it possible to install the fonts used in the various Hero Quest products? Another noob question--could the Ye Olde Inn logo or other identification devices be included that are only recognizable at high zoom?

Thanks for the bump!!! And wake-up call… I really should clean up what I have and post it already. Not as automated as I want it to be, but hard to argue with the results.

I am not certain about using the HQ fonts in LaTeX. It likely depends on the exact distribution you decide to use. I use the verbosus website instead of installing and maintaining anything locally, so I really cannot use custom fonts. However the standard packages have very similar fonts (names are similar to what has been identified) for most everything other than the HQ logo font. And you can always create a vector .svg /.eps / .pdf which is infinitely scalable else where and include it. I believe only "HeroQuest" is ever written in that font anyways.

And yes, you should be able to include nearly microscopic identifications. If it is microscopic when it comes out of the SVG editor then it should just go… you could end the first sentence with a "\period" command. Which is itself the CW icon. I will give it a try… I think many light-weight viewer applications (iPad, etc) limit you to 200% to 500% zoom. So the usefulness of a really tiny mark would be limited? Sounds like fun anyways.
Has resigned from the forum and would delete his account if he could.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby whitebeard » May 29th, 2015, 11:16 pm

Confirmed, you can make things as small as you like. You might even be able to do zero size or draw white on white and locate this digital signature within the encoding of the file or even see it when highlighting the document in adobe?

Zoom in on the green period at the end of the first sentence. At first I made it crazy small, this one is much bigger and looks better inline as a "period". Of course you could just a stray mark anywhere on the document. I like the idea of hiding it in one of the graphics like the parchment boarder.

The CW is a 10k vector image file. There are two of them (not sure if the optimizer can figure this out) but the entire document is only 77k and allows infinite zooming.
hiddenCW.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Usergroups:

Postby Anderas » May 30th, 2015, 6:32 am

Polaris can't show it. Google PDF viewer shows it well. :)
is there not an easy method using vectors? Like, let's say, word?

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby whitebeard » May 30th, 2015, 8:03 am

Anderas wrote:Polaris can't show it. Google PDF viewer shows it well. :)
is there not an easy method using vectors? Like, let's say, word?

Let me answer your question with a question: "If Word supports these formats with the construction of smoothly scalable PDF graphics, then why is Photoshop the most popular quest generation tool after the map is already provided from HeroScribe?"

If Word works then that's great. My experience with Word has been that external graphics are rasterized and .svg / .pdf / .eps were not supported import types. Admittedly that was a long time ago. I do not have Word on my computer. Then there is the whole "this document looks different in each version of Word" issue.

Many would argue that writing your document without regard to formatting is "easier" as there are no distractions when focusing on content (LaTeX). The HeroTeX template is not there yet, but is still simpler than Word can be (pushing background images around can become impossible to get what you want for those who do not know what they are doing :) ). I likely will not put in the effort to achieve that.

Perhaps this effort is pointless beyond me needing a tool on my computer to generate nice quest documents? I did teach myself a bit about LaTeX to get this document working, and that was entertaining.

Rewards:
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Usergroups:

Previous

Return to Quests and Quest Packs