• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

[Quest Pack] [5 Quests, 6 Encounters] - Karak Vlag

Discuss Quest creation and share Quests/Quest Packs you've created.

Re: Karak Vlag - Quest Pack

Postby clmckay » Sunday January 3rd, 2016 8:16am

Glad you had fun with it!

Are you going to try the follow on after Saracen reads the black writings?

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
clmckay

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby The Admiral » Wednesday January 6th, 2016 6:53am

Yes, definitely.

It will be a while though. Each of our four original characters go on their own separate quests. Saracen will complete Heralds of chaos this summer. Then Eagle the Elf will do Vengeance for Vengeance, the dwarf will do Heir to the Black Banner, Crispin the Wizard will either play my own quest, if I finish it, or Destruction of the Tomes, and then Saracen will play Out of the Wastes.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Archmage
Archmage

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » Saturday February 20th, 2016 3:45am

I started posting comments up to Encounter 4, but then lost them in the Internet abyss. :( Are you still interested?
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Slacker Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » Monday February 22nd, 2016 6:53am

Daedalus wrote:I started posting comments up to Encounter 4, but then lost them in the Internet abyss. :( Are you still interested?

Yes please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Archmage
Archmage

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » Sunday February 28th, 2016 7:52am

[The following post was made in the wrong thread! You can find it again in the proper Out of the Wastes thread
-edit]

Apologies to clmckay if these comments are too much...here goes!

As with your previous work, I like the story organization behind optional Encounters and necessary Quests. It's a pity some of the Encounters are likely to go to waste. I may borrow and transform your model into a rumor/selection mode of organization (if I ever get back to Quest designing.) Another Inn member once showcased this with town-rumor side Quests patterned after computer games.

I also liked the thematic malnurishment rule, and how it could be temporarily alleviated within Quests. Personally, I'm not as interested in the Chaos Gifts, but I imagine there are quite a few fans who appreciate this nod to Games Workshop background.

Some monster and artifact entries include black battle dice which most fans don't possess. Could you additionally suggest some standard combat dice alternatives in the notes where black dice are featured?

Quest 1
  • I'm unclear if Kenerick is supposed to use the Chaos Black Blade in battle with the Heroes. You'd expect so, as he has 5 AD and it would be foolish to fight with a lesser weapon. On the other hand, the Chaos Black Blade uses black combat dice, and that isn't listed in the notes.
  • The middle room at the bottom of the board appears to be misty. Is there a special tile and effect to go with this?
Encounter 2
  • Do the misty rooms have tiles or special effects?
  • Does the water tile use the same rules from the BQP?
  • I really like the goal of saving a common family and how it translates to a reward that lifts in-game restrictions.
Quest 2
  • As the Chaos Sorcerer may cast the Chaos spell Lightning Bolt unlimited times, Ice Shards isn't needed. Lightning Bolt will always inflict 2 Body Points of damage, while Ice Shards will average less even before defending.
    As Lightning Bolt is tied to his magical staff that a Hero will claim, I'd say limit casting that powerful spell down to once a Quest (and keep Ice Shards.) Otherwise, player imbalance is introduced as one Hero may reliably kill multiple, powerful monsters such as Northern Chaos Warriors (6 DD/black shield negates all skulls, 4 BP) in 2 turns while other Heroes will take considerably longer.
Encounter 3
  • The top-left room looks mist-filled. Is there any tile or effect?
  • The bottom-left room appears to use the Living Fog Room tile. Something should be mentioned of this in the Playing Out of the Wastes introductory section.
  • I couldn't find a matching Artifact Card for the Demon Slayer sword.
That's it for what I originally lost. If more is wanted for the later Quests and Encounters, let me know.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Slacker Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby clmckay » Sunday February 28th, 2016 9:00am

I would like to hear your comments on the remaining Quests/Encounters.
Here's a couple comments:

This is in the wrong thread. It should be the Out of the Wastes thread.

Black dice can be replaced by counting a Black Shield as a Skull on the regular White combat Dice.

Q1:

I hadn't had him use the Black Blade when my group played through. That would make a nice thematic change, I will adjust my copy of the QB to reflect it.

As I think about it, I think there are a couple of versions of the Black Blade in the files, including without Black Dice. I think that's why I didn't reference it in the Quest Notes. So Zargon could decide which version of the artifact to use.

The "Misty" rooms throughout the QP are Icy Vaults. They have the same rules and tiles as those found in the BQP.

E2:

These are Icy Vault. The Icy Rivers likewise have the same effect as in the BQP.

I'm glad you like the family rescue. I try to have carry over and optional side quests.

Q2:

True. In fact I did as you described when I Zargon'd this quest. As a side note, during our play through, the staff worked very well as written. Since Hero Replacent was not allowed during the QP the added firepower was needed against these very strong monsters.

However, shortly after the group escaped from the wastes and had their numbers replenished I destroyed this artifact. It was too strong outside of the Wastes QP.

E3:

Perhaps at one point ill make another rule page for tiles and what nots. It's not been on my radar as I easily reference the BQP or any other needed rules during play. (I love pheonixs master rulebook, it's all right there).

This has been downloaded 50+ times and this is the first someone's mentioned I forgot to put an artifact card in it!?! Good grief. I'llupload it to the proper thread this afternoon.

Feel free to post your thoughts on the remaining, I enjoy reading them. I'm particularly interested in your thoughts on the city quest at the end. I struggle making a decent city quest on the regular HQ board. In fact, we play tested on the HQ board version, but dd the real quest on a separate city-scape board.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
clmckay

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: [Quest Pack] [5 Quests, 6 Encounters] - Karak Vlag

Postby Daedalus » Tuesday September 27th, 2016 8:03am

I formatted the topic title for browsing purposes. I also added a components section and level recommendation in the OP. The monster numbers are my best, safe guess--alter the counts if you want.

I noticed a note for the Skeletons was left out of Encounter 4, so I included 2 Skeletons w/ shields as components (remove it if you prefer.) Also, might I suggest substituting a Cupboard for the Barrels and Crate Markers? Otherwise, can you include a link for printing them, as they aren't official HQ.

Finally, I like your card ideas and presentation (nice backgrounds), especially the Orc Soldier image from Battle Masters.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Slacker Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:

Previous

Return to Quests and Quest Packs