• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

[Solo Quest Pack] [Trollslayer] - Solace and Redemption

Discuss Quest creation and share Quests/Quest Packs you've created.

Re: [Solo Quest Pack] [Trollslayer] - Solace and Redemption

Postby mitchiemasha » October 8th, 2014, 8:02 pm

Ahhhh war paint, their you go, always something not thought of.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby The Road Warrior » October 11th, 2014, 9:08 am

The Revenant
As dusk falls a lone bell begins to ring in the street outside. "The town is under curfew" explains the innkeep. "For two moons the dead have been stirring. They rise from their eternal sleep and roam the streets. A lone dwarf dungeoneer answered our call for help. He descended into the crypts but never returned, so we sealed the entrance and imposed the curfew. You see mostly they come at night. Perhaps you might be brave enough to venture into the tombs and rid us of this curse?"

1. This is where the Trollslayer starts. The crypt has been sealed again by the townspeople after he entered.
  2. If the Trollslayer searches for treasure in this room, he will find an adventurers backpack containing a handaxe and two portions of Stonebread. Each one will restore up to two lost Body points.
  3. These two doors are already open. The Treasure chest contains one potion of Healing.
  4. If the Trollslayer searches for treasure in this room, he will find a Necromancer’s Stone. This is the source of evil that is reanimating the towns dead. Removing it from the crypts will end the town’s undead problem. It is worth 150 gold.
    The Revenant
    Use the Dwarf figure to represent the Revenant. The Revenant rolls the following dice:
    Attack: 4
    Defend: 3
    Move: 5
    Mind: 0
    Body: 6
    The Revenant is wearing the Bracers of Stoicism. This is a Quest Treasure and the player may take take the appropriate card after defeating the Revenant.

Wandering Monster: Image
Last edited by The Road Warrior on November 17th, 2014, 6:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Join in the community project.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
The Road Warrior

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » October 13th, 2014, 4:30 pm

MY :2cents:

The Road Warrior wrote:
Gold Bearer wrote:by the way, with a battleaxe and the two extra defence items he'll have eight attack dice if he wants!

And 0 defence! Like you said earlier, multiple enemies are gonna take this hero down in no time at all. ...I am considering changing the bracers to be a re-roll 1 die ability instead of roll one extra die which will reduce his max rage by one. It will all depend on playtesting of later quests.

Gold Bearer wrote:Very minor point, it doesn't seem right to have a defensive rune on a weapon. It should be on armour.

Perhaps, but I've banned him from buying armour (except Trollslayer specific artefacts it seems!) and this seemed like a reasonable replacement.

I'm with Gold Bearer about keeping defense on armor--keep the bracers! Your art backs up thier inclusion, as Hero Quest art should. Also, I'd rather have a Defiance Rune Stone artifact supply the +1 DD over the Rune of Defiance on an ax. (Divert the Rune of Defiance cost to the reroll-rune on the ax, increasing its cost--say 200 gold coins.)

At first I was against the Rune of Rage because it increases the damage cap. However, it also gets the AD going up quickly, which the Trollslayer needs. My alternative is to suggest a Rune of Rage begins a Trollslayer's first beserk attack with 2 rage counters instead of 1. This allows the lethality to engage more quickly while keeping max damage down. It also meshes with the Rage Token mechanic nicely, as suggested by the name.

I'd increase the cost of a Rune of Rage. An upgrade from shortsword to broadsword is just 100 gold coins, but a jump to a battle axe is 200 with a shield restriction. Beserking at 6 AD and more with a battle axe and averaging out with a hand ax upgrade should cost more. With your Rune of Rage, I'd say at least 250 gold coins. If that average sounds too steep for a partial hand ax upgrade, you could instead set the cost at a variable 75 gold coins per AD. Using my Rune of Rage, bump the cost down to 150 gold coins or 50 gold coins per AD.

I like the reroll ability (Rune of Battle/Doom?) for a few reasons. First, a reroll feels right as a defensive bonus option because offense must be sacrificed--this is how a weapon should defend and serves as an accelerator or brake for his beserk. Second, a reroll optionally reduces his already generous rage AD bonus by one while allowing the Trollslayer to maintain a precious DD--something he will likely need when out-numbered by weaker monsters.

I'd simplify the calming down mechanic to removing all Rage Tokens when no monsters are visible. Keeping count isn't fun unless you're increasing attack rolls.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby The Road Warrior » October 13th, 2014, 6:59 pm

Thanks for the input Daedalus. It always appreciated. |_P

Daedalus wrote:I'm with Gold Bearer about keeping defense on armor--keep the bracers!

The bracers are staying! :)
Playtesting has shown that he is definitely going to need them and he still has a big disadvantage in defence. I think one of your initial concerns was that he wouldn't have that weaknees, but I hadn't settled upon & posted the system I wanted to use for rage when at the time.

Daedalus wrote:Your art backs up thier inclusion, as Hero Quest art should.

Not my art. I wish I could draw that well, new cards would be so much easier to create.

Daedalus wrote:I'd increase the cost of a Rune of Rage... I'd say at least 250 gold coins.

I am actually in complete agreement here.
My original idea for the Rune of Rage was to create a 3AD weapon for the Slayer to buy without going down the obvious route of adding a warhammer to the armoury. I wanted him to have something a little special and unique.

With this in mind I set the cost of runes at 100 gold, the idea being:

Handaxe + Rune = Broadsword = 250 gold.

My mistake here was forgetting that his berserk ability would mean he would never actually attack with 3 combat dice, his first attack would be with 4. I should have done this:

Handaxe + Rune + 1st Rage token = Battleaxe = 400 gold

So working back from this point I also think the Rune of Rage should cost 250 gold.

The added bonus here is that the cost of a Battleaxe + both runes is bumped to 750 gold. And assuming he fully upgrades a Handaxe before progressing to a Battleaxe it would cost 1250. In comparison, a normal dwarf could buy a Battleaxe, crossbow, chainmail and helmet for 1320 gold.

Daedalus wrote:I'd simplify the calming down mechanic to removing all Rage Tokens when no monsters are visible. Keeping count isn't fun unless you're increasing attack rolls.

I'm in 2 minds here...

I playtested the first quest with my 5 year old and he loved it. After two or three turns he was taking and handing back the tokens without any prompting whatsoever. It worked well. It wasn't any hassle to keep track of. But he is only 5...

I like the gradual calming down. In the first quest, when the maximum tokens you can hold is 2, it works quite nicely as your first 2 turns after clearing a room of monsters should really be:- search for traps & doors then search for treasure. 2 turns, tokens gone, open the next door, simple.

Part of the idea here was that as he advances and can hold more Rage Tokens, currently up to 4, he wouldn't be able to remove all of them before entering the next room. More risk, more fun, that's how I like to play the game.

but...

It has crossed my mind an experienced gamer (who is a little older than 5!) may choose simply to do nothing for as many turns as he has tokens. System, definitely, broken. :cry:

Removing all tokens as soon as no monsters are visible fixes this and allows the game to progress. It just feels a little tame. I am still undecided on this :?:

Daedalus wrote:Also, I'd rather have a Defiance Rune Stone artifact supply the +1 DD over the Rune of Defiance on an ax....

..My alternative is to suggest a Rune of Rage begins a Trollslayer's first beserk attack with 2 rage counters instead of 1...

...reroll ability (Rune of Battle/Doom?) for a few reasons...

Interesting ideas and variations on the set theme/system. I will be testing these ideas before deciding on exactly what direction to take with the runes and artefacts available the Slayer.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
The Road Warrior

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby The Road Warrior » October 15th, 2014, 6:19 pm

Daedalus wrote:I'd simplify the calming down mechanic to removing all Rage Tokens when no monsters are visible. Keeping count isn't fun unless you're increasing attack rolls.

I ran through both of these quests again this evening and it crossed my mind that it may be in the trollslayer's best interests to keep his rage as high as possible, giving him a better chance of killing monsters before they can attack him.

With this in mind, the calming down mechanic stays as originally written. Should anyone ever choose to play through this Quest Pack I imagine they would probably use your suggestion as a house rule if they thought it worked better. |_P

Also it adds the possible inclusion of an item that instantly removes all rage tokens, perhaps a 'stone of serenity'?

Rewards:
The Road Warrior

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby The Road Warrior » October 22nd, 2014, 6:01 pm

Daedalus wrote:My alternative is to suggest a Rune of Rage begins a Trollslayer's first beserk attack with 2 rage counters instead of 1. This allows the lethality to engage more quickly while keeping max damage down. It also meshes with the Rage Token mechanic nicely, as suggested by the name.

Wouldn't the net effect of this be that the Trollslayer rolls 2 less defence dice, instead of 1, after his first attack?

Example (assuming the Trollslayer owns a handaxe inscribed with the Rune and rolls the standard 2 in defence)

Original Rule
Slayer attacks, taking 1 rage token before rolling attack dice. He rolls 2 dice for his handaxe, 1 additional die for the rune and one additional die for holding 1 rage token. Total: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull:
Slayer then defends, rolling 1 less die for holding 1 rage token. Total: :whiteshield:

Alternative Suggestion
Slayer attacks, taking 2 rage tokens before rolling attack dice. He rolls 2 dice for his handaxe and 2 additional dice for holding 2 rage tokens. Total: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull:
Slayer then defends, rolling 2 less die for holding 2 rage tokens. Total: 0.

I appreciate that your aim was to reduce the maximum number of attack dice he rolls but I don't really see this to be an issue considering the strength of the bosses I have planned for each quest.

I think your alternative is going to make him far too weak in defence but I did like where you were going with this.

So I thought some more and wondered if a new treasure card might work here?

This would allow 'lethality to engage more quickly' but is not going to keep his max damage down.

Rewards:
The Road Warrior

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby The Road Warrior » October 31st, 2014, 2:12 pm

The Ogre
The deafening sound of falling rock and ice woke you from your sleep. Quickly gathering your equipment, you run for the cave entrance but it is too late. The avalanche has already blocked out the daylight and you are trapped. With a sigh of resignation you prepare yourself to travel further under the mountain in search of another way out.

NOTES
  1. The Trollslayer starts in this room.
  2. If the Trollslayer searches for treasure he will find 100 gold and an empty flask.
  3. This room contains a magical pool of water. You must tell the player this as soon as he opens the door. If the Trollslayer searches for treasure he finds nothing, but may fill the flask from room B with this water if he has it. This may then be drunk at any time, restoring 6 lost Body points.
  4. The Cupboard contains a Heroic Brew and a Trolltooth Necklace. This is a Quest Treasure and the player may take take the appropriate card.
  5. If the Trollslayer searches for treasure in this room, he will find a Battleaxe embedded in a Dragon’s skull. He may take the Battleaxe equipment card.
  6. The quest is over when the Trollslayer steps onto the overground tile.
    The Ogre
    Attack: 5
    Defend: 5
    Move: 6
    Mind: 1
    Body: 5
Last edited by The Road Warrior on November 17th, 2014, 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
The Road Warrior

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Daedalus » October 31st, 2014, 7:13 pm

The Road Warrior wrote:
Daedalus wrote:Your art backs up thier inclusion, as Hero Quest art should.

Not my art. I wish I could draw that well, new cards would be so much easier to create.

I wish you could draw that well, too--we'd have some awesome stuff! I should have said your art choices, not your art.

The Road Warrior wrote:

I'm in 2 minds here...

...Part of the idea here was that as he advances and can hold more Rage Tokens, currently up to 4, he wouldn't be able to remove all of them before entering the next room. More risk, more fun, that's how I like to play the game.

but...

It has crossed my mind an experienced gamer (who is a little older than 5!) may choose simply to do nothing for as many turns as he has tokens. System, definitely, broken. :cry:

Removing all tokens as soon as no monsters are visible fixes this and allows the game to progress. It just feels a little tame. I am still undecided on this :?:

The Road Warrior wrote:I ran through both of these quests again this evening and it crossed my mind that it may be in the trollslayer's best interests to keep his rage as high as possible, giving him a better chance of killing monsters before they can attack him.

With this in mind, the calming down mechanic stays as originally written. Should anyone ever choose to play through this Quest Pack I imagine they would probably use your suggestion as a house rule if they thought it worked better. |_P

Also it adds the possible inclusion of an item that instantly removes all rage tokens, perhaps a 'stone of serenity'?

Your original idea is solid--keep things as they are with more risk and fun. If an experienced gamer chooses to wait out his rage with some non-turns in a solo game, I'd allow his tame ways. The same gamer could choose to keep the rage going, as well. That feels tactical to me, not broken. Your system allows both and doesn't really need any amendment.

The Road Warrior wrote:
Daedalus wrote:My alternative is to suggest a Rune of Rage begins a Trollslayer's first beserk attack with 2 rage counters instead of 1. This allows the lethality to engage more quickly while keeping max damage down. It also meshes with the Rage Token mechanic nicely, as suggested by the name.

Wouldn't the net effect of this be that the Trollslayer rolls 2 less defence dice, instead of 1, after his first attack?...

...I appreciate that your aim was to reduce the maximum number of attack dice he rolls but I don't really see this to be an issue considering the strength of the bosses I have planned for each quest.

I think your alternative is going to make him far too weak in defence but I did like where you were going with this.

I see your point--a Trollslayer needs at least a little defense. I forgot this is a solo Quest, so your rules work fine. My concern was more towards balancing a Trollslayer in a regular group of Heroes so the Barbarian wouldn't get pouty. Also, a Trollslayer without friends is very vulnerable, so he needs defense even more.

The Road Warrior wrote:So I thought some more and wondered if a new treasure card might work here?

This would allow 'lethality to engage more quickly' but is not going to keep his max damage down.

That is a cool card. |_P Maybe you should let any Hero use it with +1 AD and -1 DD.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby The Road Warrior » November 12th, 2014, 8:38 pm

The Doomguard
“The Black Orc answered to my master, Morcar. It has fallen to me to punish you for his death and I can think of no better punishment than to see you die of old age, chained up in my dungeons”. The Doomguard’s last words still echo inside your head as you open your eyes and survey the small room that has become your cell. “This is not how it ends” you tell yourself, as the red mist descends upon you. Focusing your rage you begin to strain against your chains. And slowly, they being to break…

NOTES
Because the Trollslayer has had all his equipment taken, he may not use any equipment that he may have from previous quests.
  1. The Trollslayer starts here and should take two Rage tokens before beginning this quest.
  2. The treasure chest contains a handaxe.
  3. If the Trollslayer searches for treasure, he finds one potion of healing that will restore up to four lost Body points.
  4. This is where the Trollslayer’s equipment is stored. When the Trollslayer searches this room for treasure he may regain all of his equipment and Quest Treasures.
  5. If the Trollslayer searches for secret doors he will find secret lever in the alchemists bench that moves the bench two squares towards this mark, revealing the exit stairs beneath the bench.
    The Doomguard
    The Doomguard rolls the following dice:
    Attack: 4
    Defend: 6*
    Move: 7
    Mind: 3
    Body: 4
    *If the Doomguard rolls at least one black shield he defends successfully and remains unharmed.
Last edited by The Road Warrior on November 17th, 2014, 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
The Road Warrior

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby mitchiemasha » November 12th, 2014, 10:02 pm

Will you be making this a downloadable pdf when you are finished?

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Quests and Quest Packs