• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Puzzles

Discuss Quest creation and share Quests/Quest Packs you've created.

Puzzles

Postby Redav » January 18th, 2014, 12:45 am

What sort of puzzles do you put in your quests? I think I'd get some ideas from the Eye of the Beholder series. I'd have locked doors needing specific keys but that's hardly a puzzle. Maybe a pad that causes a door to open when a hero is on it removing a hero from one part of the map.
Campaign Status
EU Group: Kellar's Keep - The Dwarven Forge
NA Group: The Gathering Storm - Barak Tor - Barrow of the Witch Lord

Project's Status
Rules: House Rules and Clarifications are open for discussion
Campaigns: Thinking
Alternate Mini's: Planning and acquiring
Painting: I've started painting... :o

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Redav

Storm Master
Storm Master

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Puzzles

Postby Goblin-King » January 18th, 2014, 3:42 am

A couple of years ago I wrote a quest with a mirror-line through the middle of the board. The players had to warp back and forth to solve puzzles. It's actually a pretty good quest :)
http://www.scribd.com/doc/79702691/The-Mirror-Maze

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Sjeng » January 18th, 2014, 4:28 am

Just read your quest, it's awesome! I do have some questions about the mechanics though.
1. Do you move the Heroes from the top half to the bottom half of the board when they use the ring, or do you replace the monsters with statues and vice versa? You wrote that you move the Heroes, but if you replace the contents of the board all the time, it might be more of a puzzle. The first option is easiest, but also very obvious to the players. The second is more puzzling, but requires a lot of moving around stuff...
2. Do you remove the bottom monsters/statues when they are in the top half and vice versa?
3. Do they find both secret doors in the corridor?
4. One of the orcs in the first 2 rooms isn't in mirror position

Pretty cool puzzle indeed! I'm printing this one.

oh. Can't download it. Could you post it on the Inn?
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » January 18th, 2014, 5:18 am

I just now realized that visitors can't download from that site! Uploaded to dropbox instead:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5167745/79702691-The-Mirror-Maze.pdf

Sadly I don't have the original files on my computer and some of the formatting seems to be permanently wrecked :(
I guess it's time for a remake soon... I would feel bad uploading this messy version to the inn...

1. Yes, you move the heroes. Some of the puzzles can only be solved this way.
2. Everything that has been discovered stays discovered according to standard rules.
3. Yes. These could might as well have been normal doors. I just wanted to recreate that feeling from the Labyrinth where Sarah can't even get in because its just a neverending empty corridor.
But actually it might be a good idea to make the door into room with the living orcs open by a mechanic in the statue room. That would force the players to see the statues before they are destroyed, showing them one of the basic mechanics of the puzzles.
4. That's an error. Use the position of the statue.

Redav wrote:What sort of puzzles do you put in your quests? I think I'd get some ideas from the Eye of the Beholder series. I'd have locked doors needing specific keys but that's hardly a puzzle. Maybe a pad that causes a door to open when a hero is on it removing a hero from one part of the map.

You can also expand the pressure pad puzzle by using a rolling boulder trap. He has to stay on the pad to allow the boulder to roll through the door, but step aside not to be crushed.
Only by getting the boulder to crash at the pressure pad can the last hero use the secret door.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Sotiris » January 18th, 2014, 5:30 am

I'm tired of quests with dozens of notes but this worths it and it's a great quest GK. The idea of using the symmetry of the board is almost inconceivable! And easy to run, perfect!
I especially like the way of entering the final wizard's room, you have to travel inside the mirror to reach there..
My new unpublished boardgame on Tabletopia free platform:
https://tabletopia.com/games/stellar_omega

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Sotiris

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: Ελληνικά
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby StratosVX » February 16th, 2014, 10:33 pm

Goblin-King wrote:Sadly I don't have the original files on my computer and some of the formatting seems to be permanently wrecked :(
I guess it's time for a remake soon... I would feel bad uploading this messy version to the inn...

I recently created a version for my use that I can send to you. I included tiles and cards at the end, but I can easily remove those pages. Because it was for my own use, I may have edited the text a bit though - I honestly don't remember. I can send it to you if you'd like to look at it. You may not need to recreate it.

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Scribe of Heroes
StratosVX
I hate snakes, Jacques...

Scout
Scout

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby IvenBach » February 17th, 2014, 3:06 am

I read it and that is a very clever idea. :cookie: I like.

I enjoy doing puzzles of varying complexity. Sadly I once had a game of D&D take 6+ hours because they wanted to get the 3 puzzles and spent a literal 2 hours on them :? . At that point I instituted time limits for puzzles or they forfeit them.

Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
IvenBach
The NEEEEEEEEEEEERD!!!

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » February 17th, 2014, 4:33 am

StratosVX wrote:
Goblin-King wrote:Sadly I don't have the original files on my computer and some of the formatting seems to be permanently wrecked :(

I recently created a version for my use that I can send to you. I included tiles and cards at the end, but I can easily remove those pages. Because it was for my own use, I may have edited the text a bit though - I honestly don't remember. I can send it to you if you'd like to look at it. You may not need to recreate it.

If you have the HeroScribe map file I would very much like to get hold of that.

Rewards:
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Teldurn » February 17th, 2014, 7:59 am

Goblin-King wrote:
StratosVX wrote:

Me too!
War is not the answer...unless the question is, 'What is not the answer?'

Check out Broadsword, a love letter to 90s dungeon crawling board games.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Destroyed a Zombie!Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Teldurn

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby StratosVX » February 17th, 2014, 8:56 pm

Goblin-King wrote:
StratosVX wrote:

I don't have just the map any longer. All I have is the PDF I made of the complete quest. I can't create an .eps file of the map any longer because, for whatever reason, my HeroScribe will no longer export files in that format if they have any of the icons with blue in them like the ice trap you have in the center room. No idea why it all of a sudden stopped working properly. Unless what you were referring to was the .png or the .html file which I can do.

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Scribe of Heroes
StratosVX
I hate snakes, Jacques...

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Champion Group Member