• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Puzzles

Discuss Quest creation and share Quests/Quest Packs you've created.

Re: Puzzles

Postby Goblin-King » March 1st, 2014, 9:14 am

Something went wrong with the quest notes. "J" is empty and there is no "M" on the map.

That aside it's really coming together.
I approve of the additional spear traps.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Sjeng » March 1st, 2014, 11:31 am

*le sigh*

fixed. starting to hate Word with all it's quirkyness.
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby sajungzak » March 1st, 2014, 1:06 pm

*Word
this is where I've been posting my painting progress so far:
http://www.facebook.com/zachary.lewis.96

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie!
sajungzak

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby drathe » March 1st, 2014, 9:07 pm

sajungzak wrote:*Word

:lol: Nice!

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Hero:
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Daedalus » March 6th, 2014, 8:49 pm

Redav wrote:What sort of puzzles do you put in your quests? I think I'd get some ideas from the Eye of the Beholder series. I'd have locked doors needing specific keys but that's hardly a puzzle. Maybe a pad that causes a door to open when a hero is on it removing a hero from one part of the map.

Quest 2 of RotWL features a tomb that, if opened, releases a sparkling mist into the room. The result is the destruction of Orc's Bane and Borin's Armor. Kinda harsh, so here's a puzzle-like rework from this thread:

Daedalus wrote:
Nephew of Mentor wrote:...Another option would be to include some sort of warning of the "curse" against the retainers of borin on anyone to open the tomb, hidden somewhere in this or a prior quest.

Like. The Quest note for the artifact trap could even include this information, but then it would need to be more subtle, as it is more immediate. I'd change the original wording of "If a Hero searches for treasure in this room, ask him if he wishes to pry open the tomb of a great warrior" to "...the tomb of a cruel warrior." The change of the warrior's reputation from great to cruel (or alternatively greedy ) should be enough for Heroes to search for a trap. The twist is that they instead need to search for a secret door to discover the nature of the trap. The alter book in the adjoining secret room could then contain this cruel warrior's story, telling of his malevolence against the Dwarves and thier works.

In my opinion, if you're going to take away named artifacts, then there should at least be a story element to go with the event. The tomb-book-trap configuration also rewards smart play. You could even go as far as to describe what would have happened if the tomb had been opened, much like the Gargoyle trap did in Bastion of Chaos, Quest 11 of the Main System.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » March 7th, 2014, 2:32 am

You could always do some puzzles with door-opening flagstones. As long as you step on it the door stays open. How do you get the last hero through?
Or have the flagstones be switches and place one on the other side of the door too so it's unavoidable to step on it when you walk through.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Previous

Return to Quests and Quest Packs