• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Quest Pack Story Arc

Discuss Quest creation and share Quests/Quest Packs you've created.

Quest Pack Story Arc

Postby Redav » January 5th, 2014, 8:02 am

How creative do you guys get with a quest pack with a storyline? Is it fairly linear where it's simply quest after quest? How many of you create a series of quests that branch out based on where the heroes are headed so they don't play all the quests? Do you limit the consequence to actions made on the game board? Has anyone built a series where decisions can be made between quests (i.e. in the court of some lord / king) based on what the characters experience in a quest?
Campaign Status
EU Group: Kellar's Keep - The Dwarven Forge
NA Group: The Gathering Storm - Barak Tor - Barrow of the Witch Lord

Project's Status
Rules: House Rules and Clarifications are open for discussion
Campaigns: Thinking
Alternate Mini's: Planning and acquiring
Painting: I've started painting... :o

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Redav

Storm Master
Storm Master

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Quest Pack Story Arc

Postby Goblin-King » January 5th, 2014, 8:46 am

I have made quests that could turn out differently based on decisions - this was all confined into the single quest itself. I wouldn't ever consider making a branching quest pack story arc though.
I come up with this new questbook I've made, and the players wan't to go through it. Cool!
But would they REALLY want to go through it again just to see new content (And having to go through some old content)?

This is not a computer game you can run through in a few hours. Each QUEST takes a few hours!
While the idea is nice I honestly think it's a waste of energy to create a "double layer" of quests.

I assume you mean:
Kill the corrupted king - Quest 3A: Escape to the Woods
Obey the king: Quest 3B: The Holy Goblet

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Schmidt » January 5th, 2014, 9:20 am

Kellars Keep had that: go through this door and get to this quest, go through that and get that quest.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Schmidt

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » January 5th, 2014, 9:22 am

But there's only one quest to be skipped in that instance. And everything stays linear as a plot in its entirety between first and last quest.
ghan's Champion of the Empire goes all kinds of places with two possible outcomes after three or four decisions the heroes have to make.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Redav » January 5th, 2014, 4:29 pm

Goblin-King wrote:But would they REALLY want to go through it again just to see new content (And having to go through some old content)?

This is not a computer game you can run through in a few hours. Each QUEST takes a few hours!
While the idea is nice I honestly think it's a waste of energy to create a "double layer" of quests.

Probably not however they could go back and start at the other branching quest. I know my first group would want to play everything. But yes, it's a lot of effort for stuff that might not be played. One thought I had was in some instances maybe the next alternate quests use the same map but the content (monsters) varies depending on what's been decided between quests.

Goblin-King wrote:I assume you mean:
Kill the corrupted king - Quest 3A: Escape to the Woods
Obey the king: Quest 3B: The Holy Goblet

Yes and no. That's an obvious option but I was thinking a quest pack which was split into thirds;
First third - you're simply a bunch of mercenaries working for someone trying to find out what's going on in a particular area
Middle third - you start working out that there's things afoot (say two factions against each other even featuring NPC combat)
Final third - requires you to make decisions both between and during quests based on what you've experienced

Schmidt wrote:Kellars Keep had that: go through this door and get to this quest, go through that and get that quest.

That rings a bell. I've had it for 20 years and I would have read the quests when I bought them but never played them but I think I can recall alternate doors. My EU rules group only have The Trial left (making them play that last) so we'll move onto KK pretty soon.
Campaign Status

Project's Status

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Redav

Storm Master
Storm Master

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby The Road Warrior » January 5th, 2014, 7:12 pm

I like to see quest packs where the outcome of the story depends on how the Heroes perform in each quest. I think it gives them more of a chance to prove that they are worthy of the title 'Hero'.

Goblin-King wrote:While the idea is nice I honestly think it's a waste of energy to create a "double layer" of quests.

Although I do agree with GK here that it could be a waste of energy to create a quest pack with multiple routes through it, and so may not be something everyone wants to do, I personally am happy to put that amount of effort in. I just like the idea that the players can potentially do something wrong, mess up on a quest or two, and still continue the story without having to replay the quest.

Redav wrote:Do you limit the consequence to actions made on the game board?

Yes, but I think that 'decisions made between quests' is also a very good way of creating branches. You can see how I handled creating branches by taking a look at Dealing with Death. (I never miss an opportunity to plug this :oops: )

knightkrawler wrote:ghan's Champion of the Empire goes all kinds of places with two possible outcomes after three or four decisions the heroes have to make.

I'm really hoping to see a translation of this one day.
Join in the community project.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
The Road Warrior

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby knightkrawler » January 6th, 2014, 3:20 am

knightkrawler wrote:ghan's Champion of the Empire goes all kinds of places with two possible outcomes after three or four decisions the heroes have to make.

Sjeng wrote:I'm really hoping to see a translation of this one day.

Oh, the translation is completely finished. Just waiting for ghan to compile a UK style pdf.
If all else fails, someone else can do that. I'd give him until summer.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Sjeng » January 6th, 2014, 7:38 am

Answered you in another thread about this ;)
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Redav » January 6th, 2014, 8:49 am

The Road Warrior wrote:You can see how I handled creating branches by taking a look at Dealing with Death. (I never miss an opportunity to plug this :oops: )

That's quite alright. Whilst I've not looked too closely at it, when time permits I've been keen on having a proper look at it for a while. It looks like a cracking project. How does one choose what quest line to go with after Rescue if Ragnar survives (assuming I've worked out the gist of the quest pack)? I'm assuming if he's dead, you're off to dealing with death but what about the other two alternatives?
Campaign Status

Project's Status

Rewards:
Redav

Storm Master
Storm Master

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Return to Quests and Quest Packs