• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

World Maps for Homebrew Quests

Discuss Quest creation and share Quests/Quest Packs you've created.

World Maps for Homebrew Quests

Postby GimmeYerGold » October 24th, 2013, 11:21 am

After I saw the "The Old World" map for the world of Heroquest, ( http://cf.geekdo-images.com/images/pic338777.jpg ) I wanted to draw something similar, but on a smaller scale for my own heroes' quests.
With a bit of Tolkien-inspired flourishes, here's what I came up with:

(I just realized I subconsciously borrow "Moot" from The Old World map!)
My heroes are just a couple of quests in, so I have only a loose development of what these locations hold for them, but this is what I've developed so far:

Dungeonvania Ruins: Once the site of a "theme park" celebrating the last generation's historic victory over Zargon. Visitors could adventure in pretend dungeons and loot prizes from pretend monsters. Now dilapidated, real monsters have moved in.
Sarven: The town where heroes regroup between quests and purchase supplies.
Dolemhall: An archaeological site located at the entrance of old dwarven tombs.
Crater Forest: A meteor crash landed here destroying an ancient elven city. The meteor is now mined for precious metals.
Moot's Keep: Home of Moot, a sorcerer and former ally of Zargon who made his fortune as a war profiteer. After Zargon's "defeat," he established Dungeonvania as an act of goodwill to the people of Elysia.

Each location holds the possibility for a quest using the dungeon board provided with the original game system. The bridge, crater site, and foothills of the Black Thimbles are "work areas" where the heroes can earn a little gold by excavating or improving the area, with a chance to "unlock" a new quest for their next session.

I also offer gold bonuses to the players if they write back stories for their characters, or draw pictures of something that happened during each quest. I've also made some custom rules and hero skills, which I will post here soon.

Does anyone else have maps they've made for their homebrew HQ adventures?

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
GimmeYerGold

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: World Maps for Homebrew Quests

Postby chaoticprime » October 24th, 2013, 2:09 pm

I have not made such a map. On your next map, there should be a location called "Castle Devildark." Because that's where the Mad King "lives."

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby GimmeYerGold » October 24th, 2013, 4:58 pm

Mysterious! Perhaps "Devildark" is just a name to keep people away, and the castle is actually a giant bounce house. That would be a pretty "mad" thing for a king to do.

Or... it could be truly terrifying and filled to the brim with blood.

by the way, speaking of maps, the Valor Seed map on your website is truly magnificent! I'm interested in following your progress n_n

Rewards:
GimmeYerGold

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby torilen » October 24th, 2013, 5:09 pm

How would you feel about becoming my own personal map maker. That some very good work.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby chaoticprime » October 24th, 2013, 5:19 pm

GimmeYerGold wrote:Mysterious! Perhaps "Devildark" is just a name to keep people away, and the castle is actually a giant bounce house. That would be a pretty "mad" thing for a king to do.

Or... it could be truly terrifying and filled to the brim with blood.

by the way, speaking of maps, the Valor Seed map on your website is truly magnificent! I'm interested in following your progress n_n

The Mad King was named Devildark. He hated the picaresque in life, an then devoted his unlife to their extermination. His "tomb" is the castle--a monstrous cataphract, just like the Acropolis of Cocytus, only not hidden away in the Hells. Wayward Picaroons, Northman Reavers, Three-Fingered Braves from the Western Salt-marshes and even the very most deadly Funambulist Snipers heard the call of Castle Devildark's kingly treasure-horde.

Regarding my game map, If you thought that guy was magnificent, get a load of this: http://s619.photobucket.com/user/chaoti ... t=2&page=1

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Usergroups:

Postby GimmeYerGold » October 24th, 2013, 6:29 pm

torilen wrote:How would you feel about becoming my own personal map maker. That some very good work.

Thanks! I just signed up for the Artists group, so I'd be happy to give back to the community with some artwork contributions. Feel free to message me :D

Rewards:
GimmeYerGold

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby GimmeYerGold » October 24th, 2013, 7:07 pm

chaoticprime wrote:
The Mad King was named Devildark. He hated the picaresque in life, an then devoted his unlife to their extermination. His "tomb" is the castle--a monstrous cataphract, just like the Acropolis of Cocytus, only not hidden away in the Hells. Wayward Picaroons, Northman Reavers, Three-Fingered Braves from the Western Salt-marshes and even the very most deadly Funambulist Snipers heard the call of Castle Devildark's kingly treasure-horde.

Grim n' grisly--this backstory definitely qualifies as "brimming with blood." You got some serious worldbuilding chops, chaoticprime.

chaoticprime wrote:
Regarding my game map, If you thought that guy was magnificent, get a load of this: http://s619.photobucket.com/user/chaoti ... t=2&page=1

Those town maps are real gems! I'm now following your blog in excited anticipation.

Rewards:
GimmeYerGold

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby chaoticprime » October 24th, 2013, 11:58 pm

GimmeYerGold wrote:
Those town maps are real gems! I'm now following your blog in excited anticipation.

Hahahahahahah. Thank you.

Rewards:
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Usergroups:

Return to Quests and Quest Packs