• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

[Quest Pack] [14 Quests] - Rise of the Chaos God

Discuss Quest creation and share Quests/Quest Packs you've created.

Re: Japanese base game Quest Pack localization

Postby AerynB » March 10th, 2013, 4:51 am

Well I'll be darned! It did say central room. I must've skimmed too fast. Sorry.

And about the captain, I was looking at the original quest and I think there's some Japanese writing in the square below the F that says where the captain goes...I think. I'm just guessing though. No big deal though. All us Zargons out there can probably figure it out. ;) I'm still impressed with all your work. :)

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Princess
AerynB
Resident Editor

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby bastianbux » March 10th, 2013, 6:17 am

AerynB wrote:Well I'll be darned! It did say central room. I must've skimmed too fast. Sorry.

And about the captain, I was looking at the original quest and I think there's some Japanese writing in the square below the F that says where the captain goes...I think. I'm just guessing though. No big deal though. All us Zargons out there can probably figure it out. ;) I'm still impressed with all your work. :)

Yup, you're right. I forgot about that. I remember now that I meant to put an X there.

I just re-did and re-uploaded the quests that mention "Glideddo" so that I could change it to "Grimdead" and then decided to re-do and re-upload the first three quests as well since I'd found some spelling errors and such in them.

Also, the Japanese game mentions the Talisman of Lore... but it has a completely different use in their version so I changed it initially to "Pendant of Wisdom"... but I decided to change it to "Talisman of Life" both to reflect its origin ("Talisman") and what it actually does ("Life"). :D

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
bastianbux

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby bastianbux » March 12th, 2013, 2:49 pm

Now that I'm caught up with all translated quests (here's hoping someone soon translates the remaining ones) I thought I'd try my hand at the Artifact cards. I took some liberties with them. The original versions allowed for much higher dice rolls (5 for the Silver Sword?!) so I restricted them a bit by dropping down one die and then giving bonuses. So instead of always allowing the Silver Sword to roll for 5, I dropped it down to 4 but it gets 5 when defeating beings from the Realm of Chaos (the Chaos God, basically). The Frost Bow dropped down one die, but it has the ability to freeze an enemy for one turn if all skulls are rolled, etc. Also I had to cobble together an image for the Talisman of Life... not too sold on it yet. :P

Let me know what you guys think.

[Removed; updated below]
Last edited by bastianbux on March 25th, 2013, 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
bastianbux

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Sjeng » March 12th, 2013, 5:03 pm

Awesome job. I'll try to make EU versions of these cards soon.

by the way: I think the Dragon Eye is either used by all Heroes, OR sold for 500g. not both. I think it simply loses it's magic and disintegrates after imbuing the heroes.
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » March 12th, 2013, 5:44 pm

Very cool. How accurate are these? You mention reducing dice and adding abilities. Could you list exactly what the original do?
Do they just add lots of dice and nothing else? Were they all just 5 attack dice?

Also, is the Dragon Eye included or is it an item you made up? It looks so different in style.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby bastianbux » March 12th, 2013, 7:47 pm

Sjeng wrote:Awesome job. I'll try to make EU versions of these cards soon.

by the way: I think the Dragon Eye is either used by all Heroes, OR sold for 500g. not both. I think it simply loses it's magic and disintegrates after imbuing the heroes.

That was my first thought, too, but here's the translation:
“This chest contains a small red jewel. It is a Dragon Eye. This gem contains magical powers and will “level up” each hero who returns from the dungeon alive without cost. The gem’s power will be lost after this effect is used. It also has a value of 200 gold coins, which the hero who discovered the gem should record on his or her character sheet.”

It seems to indicate that after the effect is used up, it can be sold since it instructs the player to immediately mark down 200 gold coins on their sheet.

@Goblin-King: Here is the original translation about those weapons
There are only five Artifact Cards: Frost Bow, Flame Axe, Silver Sword, Wand of Recall, and Talisman of Lore.
    Frost Bow allows the Elf to shoots with 4 combat dice.
    Flame Axe allows the Dwarf to attack with 4 combat dice.
    Silver Sword allows the Barbarian to attack with 5 combat dice.
    Wand of Recall allows the Wizard to cast spell multiple times.
    Talisman of Lore allows everyone to be resurrected, but at the cost of all their gold

So basically I dropped the Silver Sword down from 5 all the time to 4 all the time but 5 against the final boss. I dropped the Flame Axe down from 4 to 3, and the Frost Bow also down from 4 to 3. But I added extra bonuses for the Frost Bow and Flame Axe to make them a little more exiting.

The concept of the Dragon Eye is in the Japanese, but it's not an Artifact card. They just tell the player "You got a Dragon Eye, here's what it does." I thought it would be a bit more in keeping with NA/EU HeroQuest to make it an Artifact card. So I cobbled together that image by finding an image of cobblestone, putting a round gem on top of that, and then a snake eye on top of the gem (making it a bit translucent so the gem facets can be seen) and then using the "Ink Drawing" effect on the complete image. It does look WAY too different from the usual style still so I'm trying to figure out how to re-do it.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
bastianbux

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » March 14th, 2013, 9:29 pm

bastianbux wrote:
@Goblin-King: Here is the original translation about those weapons
There are only five Artifact Cards: Frost Bow, Flame Axe, Silver Sword, Wand of Recall, and Talisman of Lore.
    Frost Bow allows the Elf to shoots with 4 combat dice.
    Flame Axe allows the Dwarf to attack with 4 combat dice.
    Silver Sword allows the Barbarian to attack with 5 combat dice.
    Wand of Recall allows the Wizard to cast spell multiple times.
    Talisman of Lore allows everyone to be resurrected, but at the cost of all their gold

So basically I dropped the Silver Sword down from 5 all the time to 4 all the time but 5 against the final boss. I dropped the Flame Axe down from 4 to 3, and the Frost Bow also down from 4 to 3. But I added extra bonuses for the Frost Bow and Flame Axe to make them a little more exiting.

Great work. It looks like you need to adjust the Flame Axe artifact card. Currently, it has a base of 4 Attack Dice, so you still need to drop it to match your plan.

bastianbux wrote:Image
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Sjeng » March 15th, 2013, 7:42 am

I'd change the flame axe somewhat.
As it is now, it's 3 dice:
:skull: = 1 dmg
:skull: :skull: = 3 dmg
:skull: :skull: :skull: = 4 dmg

Seems strange to me. I'd go for:
:skull: :skull: = 2 dmg

So only a full 3 :skull: roll damages the enemy more, just like the frost effect from the bow. :2cents:
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » March 15th, 2013, 8:15 am

Sjeng wrote:I'd change the flame axe somewhat.
As it is now, it's 3 dice:
:skull: :skull: = 3 dmg

Seems strange to me. I'd go for:
:skull: :skull: = 2 dmg

So only a full 3 :skull: roll damages the enemy more, just like the frost effect from the bow. :2cents:

I agree with this. This was actually how I initially understood the effect. Makes more sense in my opinion.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby bastianbux » March 18th, 2013, 2:19 pm

Well, my "logic" was that even a minor wound from the axe (two successful skulls) would provide enough contact with the axe to warrant the extra flame damage. The reason I didn't set it at one skull is because I was trying to reason that if it's only a tiny nick, there probably wasn't enough contact with the fire to cause bad enough burns. But I suppose as it stands currently it might SEEM pretty randomly designed, so I might just go for no matter what the roll is, there's a +1 from flame damage.

It doesn't make much sense to me that the extra flame damage only occurs on mortal woundings (4 skulls); it seems like basicaly ANY contact with fire would cause some damage. Also, I wanted to have the three weapons act as differently as possible. :D

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
bastianbux

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Quests and Quest Packs