• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

[Quest Pack] [14 Quests] - Rise of the Chaos God

Discuss Quest creation and share Quests/Quest Packs you've created.

Re: [Quest Pack] [14 Quests] - Rise of the Chaos God

Postby bastianbux » January 10th, 2014, 6:44 pm

Sjeng wrote:Ah, now I remember where I saw that Rod of Memory :D
I see you changed your description as well :P
I considered mind points too, but a 33% chance (5 or 6) on 6 dice is rather high in my opinion. Genie every turn? I'm keeping mine at 1 die, black shield only. 1/6 chance each turn is plenty!

Now that I think about it, a 5 or 6 on six dice is a bit easy... but then again, since it counts as an action, even if the 5 or 6 is rolled, they still have to wait until the Wizard's next turn to cast the spent spell. So even if it is Genie, it would be Genie every other round, if they're lucky enough to roll that 5 or 6. But a Black Shield on one die is also a good idea. It's just not in keeping with the usual "5 or 6 on one red die per mind points" rule that seems to go with most spell casting.

Could you do me a huge favour please? I don't print booklets, I print A4 pages double sided. NA layout is fine with me, I'm playing NA rules anyway, but a PDF with a A4 layout would be appreciated. Just 1 map + notes on 1 page, vertical. Can you do that easily?

Sure, I'll have to wait until Monday, though, as I have the updated pages at home, but access to Adobe Acrobat Pro (for compiling into PDF) at work, where I am now. :D If only I'd brought the USB stick with me to work today, ah well.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
bastianbux

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Sjeng » January 11th, 2014, 4:04 am

You can print to PDF with the free "PDF Creator" tool. It's a simple little virtual printer that makes PDF's. All I use.
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby bastianbux » January 13th, 2014, 3:30 pm

I mentioned this in the thread about running these quests, but I thought I'd post about it here: I have an issue with Quest 4. At the end of that Quest, the Heroes discover a scroll which tells them (cryptically) how to defeat the boss in Quest 14... however this is written out as simply something that Mentor/Morcar reads out to them and is quite lengthy. This is pretty atypical of any other Quest Pack (and base game). And the Heroes are expected to remember this vital information all the way by the end of the 14th quest? And since it is a scroll, surely they can take it with them. And if they can take it with them, why is this not something I can hand out to them? Wouldn't it make more sense for this to be an Artifact card that is simply handed over with the text on it, rather than having Mentor/Morcar reading it from the quest book? What do you guys think? Shall I do a revision, changing that to an Artifact card? I'm not sure if that is keeping in with the "rules" set up by quest packs. I can't remember any Artifact cards just imparting information and having no actual use, so I'm a bit iffy on whether it would be in keeping with the spirit.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
bastianbux

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » January 13th, 2014, 3:40 pm

I say, yes, if you're inclined to do a card anyway. Morcars have options then.
Alternatively, you could make a marker/tile with the info, similar and analogous in function to Grin's Stone Map from Kellar's Keep.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby TMU » January 13th, 2014, 3:56 pm

I agree, make a card. I think it would work just fine like that, and in the end that scroll could be traded for gold ;)
"There is no greater danger than playing it safe."

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Second Lieutenant
TMU

Swordsman
Swordsman

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Sjeng » January 13th, 2014, 4:01 pm

I'd make it a handout scoll, like the wom traps paper tile. Not a usefull artefact as a card.
I only print cards if they can be used in multiple quests. This is simply another grins stone map thingy.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby bastianbux » January 13th, 2014, 4:16 pm

Sjeng wrote:You can print to PDF with the free "PDF Creator" tool. It's a simple little virtual printer that makes PDF's. All I use.

Here ya go: NA version of the quests in A4 format:
https://www.mediafire.com/?ng2pjdu7ufeztt9
Last edited by bastianbux on January 14th, 2014, 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
bastianbux

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby chaoticprime » January 13th, 2014, 5:20 pm

I think the whole series needs a serious localization including a re-write. I simply cannot take them seriously as they are. The plot makes no sense, either. I've now made it through the whole setup, and I had to run them as pathetically as possible to even intrigue my players. The repeated reference to Grimdead as a god (or formidable) was basically turned into a joke.

Grimdead went down after a minimum of turns, because all that's required to beat him is remembering that little scroll of paper.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby bastianbux » January 13th, 2014, 6:15 pm

chaoticprime wrote:I think the whole series needs a serious localization including a re-write. I simply cannot take them seriously as they are. The plot makes no sense, either. I've now made it through the whole setup, and I had to run them as pathetically as possible to even intrigue my players. The repeated reference to Grimdead as a god (or formidable) was basically turned into a joke.

Grimdead went down after a minimum of turns, because all that's required to beat him is remembering that little scroll of paper.

I tried to strike a balance between remaining faithful to the Japanese designers' intent and trying to make it palpable in English. As I explained in my first post about this project, it was never to remain completely faithful to the Japanese version (I think someone else over at Old Scratch is doing a version like that?) nor to completely rewrite it to fit into the "Empire vs. Zargon" cycle, but to find some sort of balance. I'm perfectly happy with someone (you?) doing a version that is basically a complete rewrite. I'd do it myself, but I'm gearing up for my next HQ Quest Pack project. :D

I'm disappointed to hear that Grimdead went down so quickly and easily. I worried that might be the case, and did consider making that change from the Japanese version.

I'm curious: did your players take notes on how to beat him? Or did they just remember?

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
bastianbux

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Sjeng » January 14th, 2014, 8:38 am

bastianbux wrote:
Sjeng wrote:You can print to PDF with the free "PDF Creator" tool. It's a simple little virtual printer that makes PDF's. All I use.

Here ya go: NA version of the quests in A4 format:
https://www.mediafire.com/?ng2pjdu7ufeztt9

Thanks a million!! perfect!

One thing though: page 2 has the conclusion instead of the intro ;)

Rewards:
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Hero:
Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to Quests and Quest Packs