• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

[Quest Pack] [14 Quests] - Rise of the Chaos God

Discuss Quest creation and share Quests/Quest Packs you've created.

Re: Japanese base game Quest Pack localization

Postby drathe » March 6th, 2013, 3:36 pm

bastianbux wrote:About the cover: I agree it should have a new cover with a Far East flair. I'll see if I can cobble together something that represents that. I'm also trying to think of a title for quest pack. I'm thinking something like "Rise of the Chaos God" or "The Chaos God Awakens" or something since that seems to be the main plot.

Of those two choices, I prefer "The Chaos God Awakens".

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby bastianbux » March 6th, 2013, 3:37 pm

torilen wrote:I've gotta come back and fully read these - don't have time now as it is my bed time and all.
I do have one concern with them...the rewards are EXTREMELY high. Just a thought.

It is nice to see some new quests though...always nice to see new quests - they look very well done.

That is my error. I felt that the original offered rewards were far too low (50 Gold Coins in the first quest) and since this quest pack would likely take place after our own first 14 and likely RotWK as well... I felt that the rewards should be bumped up a bit. How much would you suggest?

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
bastianbux

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby drathe » March 6th, 2013, 3:41 pm

I would keep them as the original price. Then DMs could start a whole new set of heroes from the start without any troubles. If they want to add the quests in later, they can adjust the rewards themselves to suit their current heroes and what they have available to them for purchase.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Hero:
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby bastianbux » March 6th, 2013, 3:43 pm

drathe wrote:
bastianbux wrote:About the cover: I agree it should have a new cover with a Far East flair. I'll see if I can cobble together something that represents that. I'm also trying to think of a title for quest pack. I'm thinking something like "Rise of the Chaos God" or "The Chaos God Awakens" or something since that seems to be the main plot.

Of those two choices, I prefer "The Chaos God Awakens".

I'm also extremely open to any suggestions. Those are just the two that first came to me. I feel like it should convey the basic plot about the resurrection of the Chaos God in a typical HeroQuest-y way (Return of the Witch King = "Action" of the "Primary Noun").

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
bastianbux

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby bastianbux » March 6th, 2013, 3:46 pm

drathe wrote:I would keep them as the original price. Then DMs could start a whole new set of heroes from the start without any troubles. If they want to add the quests in later, they can adjust the rewards themselves to suit their current heroes and what they have available to them for purchase.

Well, I mean... a GM wouldn't start brand new Heroes out on Return of the Witch King... they'd likely first play the base game. And while this was the Japanese base game, I'm adapting it specifically to take place after our base game at any point. The rewards should probably be similar to RotWK or KK rewards.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
bastianbux

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Maike05 » March 6th, 2013, 6:40 pm

Great work ! Thanks a lot ! We should post them in quest a week section on the blog.
Have you got a far east map of the old world? Does that even exists ?

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Maike05

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Patroclus » March 6th, 2013, 6:45 pm

I agree with drathe. You should keep it as close to the original as possible. Of course we could do changes, but we should have the option to make a clean start with this.

For me, even for the front cover I would like to keep the original with the Japanese letters with the subtitle “English translation”. But it’s not a big deal.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Patroclus

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby bastianbux » March 7th, 2013, 2:49 am

Patroclus wrote:I agree with drathe. You should keep it as close to the original as possible. Of course we could do changes, but we should have the option to make a clean start with this.

For me, even for the front cover I would like to keep the original with the Japanese letters with the subtitle “English translation”. But it’s not a big deal.

Nah, I'm not really interested in that sort of version. Mainly because an authentic-to-the-Japanese version just wouldn't feel "HeroQuest" to me. I don't know if you know this, but they clearly had zero information about the Euro or NA versions and just ended up making a LOT of stuff up that conflicts with Warhammer lore. I'm trying to take their version and pull it back under the Warhammer-ish umbrella. But, like I said in the opening post, I wouldn't be at all offended if someone out there wanted to make an authentic-to-the-Japanese version; in fact, I expect that that will happen. And I also expect that someone at some point will make a version that goes a step further than even I am and change names like "Miku" to "Loranora" or something.

Maike05 wrote:Have you got a far east map of the old world? Does that even exists ?

Not as such. But the Quest Book does come with a map of the locations in the game... which look nothing like Japan or any other real world locales (another instance of the Japanese team seeming to be unaware of stuff). I'm including that map (with slight alterations to two names) in the finished localized quest book. :D

Quest 4:
[updated on page 9]
Last edited by bastianbux on May 24th, 2013, 10:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
bastianbux

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby bastianbux » March 7th, 2013, 4:32 am

Quest 5:
[updated on page 9]
Last edited by bastianbux on May 24th, 2013, 10:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
bastianbux

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby The Road Warrior » March 7th, 2013, 6:10 am

Quest 5 and we're already in the Japanese Barak Tor and waking up the Witch Lord!! It looks like the Japanese have developed a slightly more coherent story than we are used to. (I can't remember all of the quests in the Euro and NA version but I seem to remember only the final 3 quests have a story that links them).

There is but one way to defeat him: Fire then Water then Silver

It sounds like taking down this Chaos God is going to be fun :)

Great work bastianbux, but I think there may be a few errors in quest 5. The door out of the room with the spiral staircase, and there doesn't seem to be a way to get from the rooms in the top left corner to the passageway around the center room and the rooms with the undead & gargoyle in
Join in the community project.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
The Road Warrior

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Quests and Quest Packs