• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

[Quest Pack] [14 Quests] - Rise of the Chaos God

Discuss Quest creation and share Quests/Quest Packs you've created.

Re: [Quest Pack] [14 Quests] - Rise of the Chaos God

Postby Kurgan » April 25th, 2019, 7:32 pm

Yeah, I heard... will try to get them to earn some gold before then. I might even upgrade them to champions after Quest 5...

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby The Admiral » April 26th, 2019, 4:22 am

For me, Quest 7 is the Japanese equivalent to 'The Trial'. A Party wipe out is quite possible. This is even more frustrating here as rather than killing off a fresh character, in which nothing has been invested, you will possibly be killing off a fairly seasoned campaigner. I would recommend doing what I do with 'The Trial'. Play this as the very last quest as a final test before becoming true champions of the the Empire. This will mean the Heroes are as strong in weapons and potions, especially healing, as they are going to be. A couple of Heroic Brew/Strength combinations would certainly aid the Barbarian.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » May 22nd, 2019, 7:27 am

My system allows upgrades to Champion status (I have another level "Knight" after this) which will occur for Quest 6 for the Mystic, Ranger and Paladin. The Cleric will make rank by 7.
These characters however are generally weaker (with the exception of the Mystic) than the classic heroes.

(#'s = Attack, Defend, Body, Mind)

Cleric 2, 3, 5, 4 (will have two heal allies abilities, not much help by herself, they only give 1 BP to save from death, has 1 chance to heal self up to 4 but requires rolling white shields on four dice,
meaning she could get 0 and die; weapons cost more generally)

Ranger 2, 2, 4, 3 (uses black dice for ranged attacks, +2 squares per movement phase, disarms traps equal to a toolkit; 1 ability to detect traps/secret doors when monsters visible or detect a trap on opposite side of an open door in next room; Wizard restrictions on armor).

Paladin 2, 3, 5, 4 (black dice against Undead, +1 square movement phase while wearing plate mail or borin's armor, starts with 2 holy water which can be stockpiled - restores 1 Mind Point to self OR 4 BP damage to Undead, 1 Holy Flame ability that attacks enemy MP with 3 white dice)

Mystic 2, 2, 4, 6 (pick 6 from deck of 8 spells, this means she's able to wield 2 healing spells that heal herself to full AND 3 attack spells that inflict 0-3 BP for two of them and 1 that automatically inflicts 2 BP; Wizard restrictions on armor but able to use a weapon that attacks 3 Dice adjacently or 2 Dice diagonally).

The strategy that will work for them is that they have just discovered the Talisman of Life, which should be held by the Mystic. She can die two times using just her spells and at any time use the Talisman to restore any of the heroes who die above (presuming dying doesn't mean they instantly fail the "mission").

Using the four standard heroes would be even easier, because the Barbarian would substitute 2 black dice for any sword, Dwarf 1 black die for any ax or hammer, Elf gets 1 random Spell Scroll per quest (can be stockpiled), and Wizard just gets to use black dice to attack with Wizard's Staff and substitutes 1 green die when defending wearing the Wizard's cloak (trouble is he'd have to find these outside the Japan campaign).

The new Talisman is the key. I would give it to the Wizard in the other scenario, or to the Elf. Ideally it would be a character with at least two healing abilities (Armband of Healing and spell or potion).
Last edited by Kurgan on May 24th, 2019, 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Kurgan » May 24th, 2019, 6:49 pm

Kurgan wrote:
by the way, has anyone printed out the booklet from page one? I thought the page layout looked strange...

The other "booklet" style quests I've see on here arrange the pages differently than the Japan Heroquest book posted in this thread. Can anyone post a fix?
Last edited by Kurgan on May 24th, 2019, 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Kurgan » May 24th, 2019, 6:58 pm

Maurice76 wrote:A total of 18 BPs seems a bit low on the surface. Keep in mind that this only allows the Heroes to soak up at most 14 points of damage, healing aside, before fatalities start to occur. The vanilla game has a BP pool of 25 BPs, putting the maximum sans healing up to 21 BPs. That's a significant difference. But I admit that this is an observation on the surface, I don't know other traits and strengths of your custom Heroes to offset this.

Yeah, they are overall weaker (before any upgrades). The Mystic is a bit OP, being able to select (free spell choice) two healing spells (one that gives 4, the other that gives 6, which is a waste here) AND three combat spells.. two of them each deals 3 BP Damage (roll 3 White Dice, no defense) to one target (and the square itself stays dangerous for two turns), PLUS a spell that immediately deals 2 BP damage to one target (again, no defense). She can also use a weapon with 3 combat dice adjacent and/or a weapon that does 2 Combat dice diagonally (no ranged weapons except daggers or Hand Ax). So that she can only use Wizard armor (Cloak, Bracers) and only has 4 BP max still means she gets to come back twice in this scenario (since she can't use her healing abilities to bring anybody else back).

The Paladin will hopefully have Plate Mail by this point which means he gets to move 1 d6 +1 square. His innate powers and starting potion(s) will let him destroy most Undead characters with ease, but he has no built in healing ability.

The Ranger will have devastating ranged attacks by this time, and extra movement, but he will be hampered by a 4 BP max and Wizard level armor limitations. He may die.

The Cleric is a great healer... towards allies. In this scenario, she can only get 1 BP back from the "Heal Allies" ability* (she would have 2 uses of the ability by this point), and the "Recover" ability, requires that she roll White Shields (4 at a time) in order to get any health back. The first time a player using this character tried the ability, she failed and got NOTHING (hence dying for "good" though we then found the Talisman, so she gets to come back sans gold). An unlucky roll and she's dead.

Here again, the Talisman will let even these "weaker" heroes get through. But it's a one use (per quest) item, so it could be a strategic fail...

*I may modify this so that when she "ranks up" the Heal Allies will give 2 BP to self instead of just 1 when used to save from death. I put this limitation on to prevent the player from being selfish and guide them towards a support role.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Kurgan » July 6th, 2019, 10:49 pm

Anybody play Quest 7 ("Trial of White Mountain") yet? I was looking it over and I see that none of the three treasure chests are marked with any kind of detail (not even an "empty" tag). So, since I can't read Japanese, as best I can tell, two of them are supposed to contain 150 gold coins. The other one might contain "8" of something (8 gold coins? That would be suck!!!).

I'm tempted to just say they each contain 150 gold. The heroes are fighting for their lives... Anybody else know anything else what it was intended to be?

Oops, I'm wrong, I should have kept looking for the answer... here

All treasure chests are empty.

[End Of Quest]
As he says this, he hands 150 gold to each of the heroes. They should add 150 gold to their Character Sheets.

So you get gold anyway, that's fair. I really like the little text interludes, they add a little more detail (even if some of them dumb it down too much... and I had to chuckle at the part where it says you can skip a quest if you're afraid... talk about making Zargon into a softie in this one!). So the first time you meet the "Chaos God" he moves 4 squares per turn, not 1 (like the Witch Lord when you first meet him) in "Old Scratch's" (?) A4 printout.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby The Admiral » July 11th, 2019, 6:56 am

Are you playing EU, NA or the bizarre Japanese rules?

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » July 11th, 2019, 7:29 pm

NA style. I may let the Heroes visit the Alchemist's shop (from KK/ROTWL). It needs something more for them to spend their gold on while they start gathering the legendary Weapons, since I'm not playing by the "level up" rules of the Japanese version (cool as that might be to try some day).

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby wallydubbs » January 25th, 2020, 12:42 pm

There's a door missing in Quest 14 The Final Battle. The two small rooms and the Chaos God's tomb are not accessible in any way.
Has it been determined where the missing doo goes?

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Re: [Quest Pack] [14 Quests] - Rise of the Chaos God. FIXED

Postby Kurgan » January 25th, 2020, 2:59 pm

wallydubbs wrote:There's a door missing in Quest 14 The Final Battle. The two small rooms and the Chaos God's tomb are not accessible in any way.
Has it been determined where the missing doo goes?

Good point. All three versions of the Japan Questpack I have lack a way to enter those three rooms (it's a wild goose chase anyway, the quest is still winnable).

***SPOILERS!!!!***

Update: it's an easy fix (referencing the original scan). The door belongs next to the stone block leading to the "Mummy" room. I see there was also a missing Chaos Warrior too, so I added that back. Enjoy.
I also went ahead and posted all my fixes for the Phoenix quests people have mentioned here. [link fixed!]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

PreviousNext