• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

[Quest Pack] [14 Quests] - Rise of the Chaos God

Discuss Quest creation and share Quests/Quest Packs you've created.

[Quest Pack] [14 Quests] - Rise of the Chaos God

Postby bastianbux » March 5th, 2013, 11:37 pm

[I have chosen to remove my project from this forum and it is my wish that it not be re-uploaded or posted on this forum.

I have decided to cease participation with this forum after being troubled for years by the posts of certain members and seeing nothing being done about it. I cannot be affiliated with a forum that seems to support such vitriol.

I will likely make it available at Board Game Geeks in the near future, so look for it there.

Thank you for understanding.]
Last edited by bastianbux on August 18th, 2021, 5:02 pm, edited 30 times in total.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
bastianbux

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Japanese base game Quest Pack localization

Postby Goblin-King » March 6th, 2013, 2:27 am

I'm very excited about this, but please tell a little more about your translation philosophy. What do you mean by neither? Are the names all original Japanese?

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby bastianbux » March 6th, 2013, 2:38 am

@Jareth ( :P ) I meant to explain that a bit better in the first post, but somehow I didn't. My localization philosophy is to take the intent of the Japanese HQ quest designer seriously but to make it 1) more aligned with the NA/European versions (the opening text revised to read as notes from Mentor, etc) and to make some of the names a little less Engrishy. So I changed "Neef" to "Nifon" which is sort of a play on "Nippon" (what Japan calls itself) and "Jipon" (another archaic name for Japan). Basically my intention is that my version of this quest pack takes place in the "Far East" of the Old World. So I'll keep names that are obviously intended to sound Japanes (like "Princess Miko" and such) the same, but I'll be changing the attempts at English-y names which I feel don't quite cut the mustard "Glindeddo" for instance) to something a bit more Euro ("Glindel" perhaps).

Quest 2:

[updated on page 9]
Last edited by bastianbux on May 24th, 2013, 10:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
bastianbux

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby bastianbux » March 6th, 2013, 3:35 am

Quest 3:

[updated on page 9]
Last edited by bastianbux on May 24th, 2013, 10:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
bastianbux

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Sjeng » March 6th, 2013, 6:03 am

ha! So Miku is the Japanese Ragnar xD awesome. Good job on the quests! I'll wait untill they're complete, and download the complete PDF. drathe will very likely host it ;)
Any ideas for the front cover? Even though it's basically the base game, I feel this project should get it's own Eastern old world themed cover, instead of the box cover. All the quests are very different after all.
Are the standard monster stats in the JP version equal to the US or the EU monsters?

I love your names so far. Glindel sounds perfect. small typo in Q1: "stollen" and Q3: one red DIE. dice is plural. mored back = moved back?
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Patroclus » March 6th, 2013, 7:11 am

Great job bastianbux! Thanks for the sharing...

wow, I didn't knew that it has totally different quests... I mean about the maps and the quest “events” not about the main story ex Miku = Ragnar ( :lol: )

But I found that they look kind of easy, even if we are talking for the US rules.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Patroclus

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » March 6th, 2013, 9:17 am

This is really incredible! A great contribution to the HQ community! We are actually getting new OFFICIAL quests!

Could I ask you a favor? While writing the quests, could you compile a list of named miniatures- preferably mentioning both the original name and the "Euro" name. They need to go into the list of special monsters:
http://www.yeoldeinn.com/hqforum/viewtopic.php?f=143&t=848

use this format:

Name[JA]/Name[EU] (Miniature)
e.g.
Glindeddo[JA]/Glindel[EU] (Dwarf) - Or whatever race Glindel is :lol:

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby torilen » March 6th, 2013, 10:04 am

I've gotta come back and fully read these - don't have time now as it is my bed time and all.
I do have one concern with them...the rewards are EXTREMELY high. Just a thought.

It is nice to see some new quests though...always nice to see new quests - they look very well done.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » March 6th, 2013, 3:08 pm

I tried to go a similar way when I translated the first 8 quests into German and got hammered for it!
Purists on one front, Insert-term-for-the-opposite-of-purists on the other...

Great work all around so far!
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby bastianbux » March 6th, 2013, 3:32 pm

Sjeng wrote:ha! So Miku is the Japanese Ragnar xD awesome. Good job on the quests! I'll wait untill they're complete, and download the complete PDF. drathe will very likely host it ;)
Any ideas for the front cover? Even though it's basically the base game, I feel this project should get it's own Eastern old world themed cover, instead of the box cover. All the quests are very different after all.
Are the standard monster stats in the JP version equal to the US or the EU monsters?

I love your names so far. Glindel sounds perfect. small typo in Q1: "stollen" and Q3: one red DIE. dice is plural. mored back = moved back?

Thanks so much for catching those typos. I'll fix them and re-upload tonight.

About the cover: I agree it should have a new cover with a Far East flair. I'll see if I can cobble together something that represents that. I'm also trying to think of a title for quest pack. I'm thinking something like "Rise of the Chaos God" or "The Chaos God Awakens" or something since that seems to be the main plot.

I'm adapting it (monster stats and all) into the NA version, but I'm fine with either someone else re-adapting it to EU standards or if no one gets around to it by the time I'm done with the NA I'll do a EU version.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
bastianbux

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Next

Return to Quests and Quest Packs