• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

[2-Player Quest] - The Mirror Maze

Discuss Quest creation and share Quests/Quest Packs you've created.

[2-Player Quest] - The Mirror Maze

Postby Goblin-King » January 28th, 2012, 6:30 pm

Yeah yeah, really original name... But the quest is actually pretty good If I dare say so myself.

We missed one of our players today, so we made our own custom quests instead of jumping right into Kellar's Keep.
This is the one I made; designed for an elf and a wizard with pretty much full equipment, but it could easily be adjusted to more or other combinations of heroes.
Just change the monster types or add a few...

I've tried to make this quest more of a puzzle than a pure hack 'n' slash.
I'll admit it CAN seem a bit confusing; Morcar has to pay much attention all the time.
But feel free to use this thread to ask any questions.
I'll also appreciate suggestions for improvements to my level design.

I use the hero quest font package found... somewhere... So it looks a little wonky on the download homepage...

Download the quest here:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/79702691/The-Mirror-Maze

Enjoy :-)

[Additional components needed: +2 Chests, 4 Coffin Tiles (from RotWL), +2 Double Blocked Square Tiles, Four-part Stone Map (from KK), Sun-Eye Room Tile (from AtOH)
High Mage Spell Cards, Magical Throwing Dagger Artifact Card (from KK or RotWL)- edit]
Last edited by Daedalus on May 6th, 2017, 12:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: formatting

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: The Mirror Maze - Quest fo 2 players

Postby Patroclus » January 28th, 2012, 8:33 pm

I don't have play it yet but I've try to make it in HQGM for playing it solo
https://rapidshare.com/files/2852323919/The_Mirror_Maze_1_The_Mirror_Maze.rar

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Patroclus

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: The Mirror Maze - Quest for 2 players

Postby drathe » January 28th, 2012, 9:15 pm

I love the concept behind this quest, it's brilliant. I hope to try it out some time soon.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Hero:
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Patroclus » January 31st, 2012, 6:36 pm

The quest is very good and the idea of mirror works great. I’ve played it with four heroes with no equipment and I had no problem to clean the dungeon until the final boss where I was very lucky and no one dies. If you had put more hard encounters before the final room and if I had use a bit more of my spells, I don’t know if I could make it.

My final HP was: Barbarian(7) Dwarf(6) Elf(3) Wizard(2)
I’ve found: 535 gold
I’ve use the following spells: water of healing, fire of wrath, tempest, rock skin, courage, heal body, genie
Potions: heroic brew, potion of resilience, potion of healing
Traps: two wandering monsters, and a trap

|_P

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Patroclus

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Usergroups:

Postby Goblin-King » February 1st, 2012, 9:15 am

Thanks for playing :-)

So you thought it was pretty balanced for 4 new players without changing anything?
(That's the thing about hero quest though. Sometimes a naked player will slay 3 chaos warriors, and sometimes a couple of orcs will slay two fully equipped heroes!)

Were there any parts that you felt ruined the flow of the level? Something you would like to have changed?

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Patroclus » February 1st, 2012, 11:02 am

There is no need to change anything, but if I had to do it I could put less gold in sarcophagus (100 gold is too much… maybe 25 gold for skull, 50 for shield and potion for black, could be better)... In the beginning I feel that it was a little more linear than expected, but soon I get over it and change my mind. Also it could be nice if there was an explanation why the Fimir has “Fire of Wrath”, but it’s not a big deal. ;)

Rewards:
Patroclus

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Usergroups:

Postby Goblin-King » February 1st, 2012, 12:29 pm

Thanks for your input. Good call about the treasure and the fimir. I will definitely address that in the revised version.

About it being linear... A couple of thoughts about the design:
Well for starters, you are right, it is kinda linear. The puzzles take a lot of space so not a lot of room is left to add dead ends or alternative routes.
Also I didn't want to make the puzzles too difficult, so once the players grasp the basic concept they should have a pretty easy time. My thoughts were that I would allow the players to acquire the new skill, learn to use it and feel they are mastering it within the quest. After all I don't want to turn it into a thinking game.
If I ever make a "Return to Mirror Maze" quest the puzzles should be somewhat harder as the players won't need to restart the learning curve.

Rewards:
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby torilen » February 1st, 2012, 3:47 pm

I quite like the name, by the way.

I haven't played it, since I have no group to play. However, looking it over...this is spectacular.
I love the concept, and it does look quite puzzling. I am not sure about the deadliness of the
quest...I'd have to study it a bit as far as monsters and traps and stuff.

Great job, though - I love it at first glance.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » February 1st, 2012, 4:11 pm

It might need just 1 or 2 more traps.

By the way... Priceless moment:
The wizard stepped in the speartrap (lost 1 Bp and his turn ended).
His next turn he used his ring and warped right into the mirrored speartrap!
I was all like, lol yo stepped in another speartrap fool!

Rewards:
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby torilen » February 2nd, 2012, 1:05 pm

Have you had to deal with a situation in which the characters separated, and one of them saw a statue move.
hahaha - that would be great.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Next

Return to Quests and Quest Packs